Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 01:30 PM   #1  

Default Gaining Weight From Exercise?

Hello, all! I am new to this site, and perhaps this question has already been addressed, so please bear with me! For the last two months or so, I have gotten serious about my weight loss. I have been doing the Weight Watcher point system (on my own, not attending meetings). I've lost 16 pounds in the last two months. However, I decided to try and step up my weight loss for a vacation coming up in a month...I decided to (finally!) start exercising. The past three days I have exercised for 45 minutes to an hour, doing combination walking/running on a treadmill. I weighed today and I have gained 4 pounds in the last 3 days! I have been eating 5 points less than what I am allowed in Weight Watchers, and I have not been using my activity points. I have heard that exercising can cause you to gain weight initially due to muscle gain, but would it be happening to me already? Also, do I need to be using more of my WW points to lose weight? I hope someone out there knows, because it is soooo discouraging to be working so hard and then to GAIN weight! Ugh! Someone, please, HELP!

Thanks so much. Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Highest Weight: 174
8/11/03: 158
8/15/03: 164
Old 08-15-2003, 05:45 PM   #2  
Om shanti

I'd look to water weight variation as the most likely source.

It takes a male, working out with weights pretty consistently, about two months to gain a pound of muscle. Women, unless they're taking steroids (or have an unusual amount of testosterone) will gain muscle slower than that.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:11 PM   #3  

If you are, as you say "eating 5 points less than what you're allowed" that may prevent you from continuing to lose.

It may not explain the weight gain (which yes, could be water weight) but it's certainly not something you want to continue for the long run. Not that you asked, just chucking in my two cents....

Doing exercise is good! In the long run, healthy habits lead to weight loss.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:17 PM   #4  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

GreatlyBlessed,
I also "do" WW the way that you are doing it! When I began exercising (I do The Firm, WATP, Bellydancing, and trying to start running....I'm trying ANYTHING! ) I also saw my weight loss slowing down. With the Firm, I'm building muscle mass that weighs more...but.....still...never THAT much of a change so quickly!

....first, I'd say to stick to the WW schedule of weighing once a week. You will drive yourself NUTS if you stay on that scale!
...second, eat your points that are allowed...not eating enough will cause your metabolism to slowww so you don't starve to death!...really!
...third, drink your water...ALL of it! EVERYday!
...fourth, continue with your exercise!
...fifth, watch your sodium intake.....ie, salt will make you retain water!
...sixth, journal, journal, journal!

Changing your habits will become your mind set and way of life...and will pay off EVENTUALLY!

You can do it!
Take care!
Old 08-22-2003, 02:17 PM   #5  

Thanks bicker, scoutruns and HatterasMermaid for your comments and support! I appreciate it a lot. My weight has gone back down some. I've been doing a lot of research online, and apparently not drinking enough water can cause you to retain water. I wasn't drinking anywhere near what I should have been!

At work we have a weight-loss challenge, where everyone in the office that wants to participate contributes $2 a week for 6 weeks to the fund...The person that has lost the highest percentage wins the pot of cash. Today is our final weigh-in...I'm trying to not think about it too much. The important thing isn't winning, just getting healthy. Thanks again, guys, you all have been a big help!
Old 08-22-2003, 02:49 PM   #6  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

WATER! WATER! WATER!
Old 08-27-2003, 01:22 AM   #7  
Work in Progress

My old trainer told me that it would take a lot of muscle to actually gain muscle weight from working out...however, he did say exactly what is being brought up here, that you must eat enough and drink water over and above because you will gain water weight when you begin working out.....there is a reason, I just can't remember it now.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:51 PM   #8  

I posted on here back in August my concerns about gaining weight when I was exercising...I can say now that exercising and drinking TONS OF WATER is really paying off. I can't believe how much of a difference staying hydrated makes! Thanks again for all of the encouragement, guys!

Highest Weight: 174
8/11/03: 158
8/15/03: 164
10/2/03: 150
Goal Weight: 135
Old 10-04-2003, 01:44 AM   #9  

if its not water weight, muscle weighs more than fat =)
Old 10-08-2003, 04:52 PM   #10  
Amy Needs New Shoes

Yeah I read somewhere that women can fluctuate about 5 pounds on and off over the course of a month depending on your cycle. All water related. But I'm with you. I've been exercising about 2 months and have gained 3 pounds. Frustrating, but I can tell that some is muscle. Good luck!
Closed Thread