Old 01-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/192/145

Height: 5'5"

Default 6 weeks after starting metformin

I had my first fasting glucose test after starting metformin. It was 95 I had trouble avoiding carbs over the holidays so I wasn't sure what to expect. I don't have the A1C result yet. My triglycerides had been high and they are much better, too. My scale needs batteries. My dr said I lost 5 lbs, but I think I am just maintaining. Everything is moving in the right direction.
lorib64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #2  

Congratulations, that is great news! Are you testing at home, too?
lettingslenderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #3  

No, I am not testing at home. My dr said I don't need to, but it seems like most people do. She wants to see me every 3 months. I am glad the medicine (and changes) work.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

The good think about testing at home is you can test 2 hours after a meal and that will tell you if what you ate is causing a blood sugar spike. Some people say a 2 hour test should not be over 180, others are more strict and say 140. If you eat a food and it gives you a spike you know not to eat it again.

The reason that medical personnel feel you don't need to test is because you are probably never going to have a low, since you are not taking any glucose-lowering meds. And, even if you do get a high, there's nothing you can do to bring it down the way an insulin dependent diabetic can.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #5  

thank you, that does make sense
Old 01-09-2015, 07:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

I would test...it puts you in control. Drs have no problems prescribing meds, but don't seem as interested in giving you the power and knowledge to address the underlying issue. They focus on managing with medication! With knowledge of diet and your numbers, you may very well be able to eliminate the needs for meds! Do also get your A1C info as that is waaaay more important than one fasting blood sugar number!!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #7  

I would respectfully disagree with your doctor's advice. I highly recommend the following website for information on lowering your blood sugar: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.php

If your blood sugar was significant enough to put you on metformin, then you need to test to know how certain foods effect your blood glucose. How else can you know? It sounds like your numbers are moving in the right direction, and even so, you do need to get test strips and a meter and test a home.

I also note that you and I are the same height and you weigh less than I do. I strongly believe that diabetics and pre-diabetics need to test their blood sugar at home.

Congratulations on getting things under control.

Last edited by lettingslenderin; 01-14-2015 at 02:44 PM.
lettingslenderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:12 PM   #8  

I too disagree with the doctor. I have medication induced diabetes from a hormone I was put on and not monitored. I lowered my a1c from 14.2 to 5.6 in 6 months and my bsugar from 376 to 100 but I still monitored it once a day at fasting and continue to do so. If I see my bs goes up fasting even if it stays below 130 I test twice a day. You really need to know for yourself what you do ok with and what you don't and the only way to know that is to test. I noticed my bs goes up with stress too not just eating. Good luck to you!!!
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote