Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-07-2015, 02:48 AM   #1  

Default Help for Those Who Feel Hopeless

Hi Guys,
I haven't actually been on the forums for quite some time but I want to share my journey with you. Again, this is my own personal journey.

I have been struggling with eating issues for around 16 years, ranging from bulimia to compulsive overeating. It has consumed so much from me, but by the grace of God I have for the first time, what I feel is control over this battle.

I spent many years trying the newest fad diet just thinking if I could find the perfect one all of my struggles would end. But that of course never happened. I kept thinking there has to be some kind of answer or something "special" out there that could really work, but disappointment is the only thing I really found.

After finally admitting that I was helpless over this, I started praying and gaining a lot knowledge about my eating issues. I had become much more knowledgeable and at times was able to overcome my issues but I knew there was still something missing preventing that. It wasn't until I started researching the ingredients in the products I eat almost every day that I finally felt I had the missing piece. And seriously, the first time in honestly as far as I can remember, I feel in control and hopeful that this monster has finally been defeated.

If you look up Vani Hari, her blog has been such an eye-opener and life saver for me. Of course, there are other physical, spiritual, social, emotional/cognitive, motivational, and practical issues (yea there's lots). I believe most of these areas are interconnected, if one is affected others are as well. I can't type everything out here, but just a quick note on each:

Physical (hunger) - different types, ingredients can really affect this (brain chemistry/neurotransmitters, etc.), I will not ingest any ingredient that I am not 100% comfortable in knowing that it is safe for my body.
Spiritual - war is not against flesh, prayer has helped me so much, I couldn't have done this without prayer
Social - don't just accept social expectations and temptations, this is my body and I will decide what is best for it
Emotional/Cognitive - huge, so many different things can affect how we use food (this was the only thing I honestly looked forward to in life, sadly)
Motivational - I couldn't do it just for vanity's sake, instead gaining control and losing weight was to feel comfortable in my own skin so I could actually think less about myself and focus more on others around me
Practical issues - eating slower, drinking water, having a schedule, dinner (protein, carbs, vegetables, fat) with healthy sweets sometimes, having easy, go-to recipes

I'm sorry this is such a long post, but I just wanted to give hope to somebody out there who might be feeling hopeless and wanting to give up. Don't give up when you are so near the shore (after crossing the ocean already). Just keep going no matter what..because it is worth it.
Awake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266/199/165

Height: 5'7

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing!
LilMissLi is offline   Reply With Quote