Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat November 3 - November 9

Monday already. Seems to come faster each week.

We're cold here now. Spent several days last week walking without a jacket, so we feel a bit done in by seasonally appropriate weather.

Lived through Halloween. All adults and some kids grabbed for the clementines. DW calculate that the candy cost $0.10 and the clementines $0.35, yet the kids went for the candy first.

Hope for some exercise this week.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Your adults trick or treat too? Here just the kids take goodies. I didn't have anything healthy to offer. Ended up giving out almost everything. I have a quart sized Baggie left that I saved for dh.

Today starts week two of carb cycling for me. Bring it on!

Cold here in the mornings but still warming up in the afternoons which always makes outfit choices tricky.

Our PE teacher injured her knee on the third day of school and had to have surgery. She's back on light duty and has been assigned to me. I thought it would be for a few days, but it looks like it could be many weeks. I have to find busy work for her that doesn't involve standing or moving around which Is tricky. I'm going to have her read to the classes today and see how it goes. While she is nice, it still feels like an invasion of my space.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Michele~employees on modified duty are hard! I'd think she'd do better in the front office--answering phones and fielding questions and the like.

Cool here, too! Although it is supposed to warm up as the week goes on.

My vegetable garden is thriving! All the vegetables have numerous blossoms! I hope they all produce well. DH said that if it does go well this year he'll pull out bushes in the same area so we can do much more next year!

Thursday we're going out of town for a wedding. That means we'll be getting home quite late which will wreak havoc with Friday's workout (and work as well as I'm sure I'll be tired). So far the time change hasn't caused too many problems in the household.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Week one of dog ownership is done. DH is incredibly tired all the time from daily exercise outdoors - good! I have had too much to do to snack in the evenings and was pleasantly surprised by my scale : this morning.

Despite all the drama of October I'm under my red line. Can't remember when that last happened.

Everything else is shaping up for a very busy but good week. I am going away on a dog sit so there will be some regression from the pets. Natalie is going to stay inside a lot more now - she doesn't like the cold. Good!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Congrats on the redline success, Dagmar!

We live in the woods where no trick-or-treated bother to come, so we didn't buy any candy to hand out. But we bought a couple bags of marked-down mixes for DD, who is too old to trick-or-treat but still wants some Halloween candy treats. DH and I will slowly go through the KitKats, which she won't eat.

The cold weather and the calendar change to November is making me want to hibernate! During my childhood I dreamed of living in the tropics, but DH is a cold-weather junkie so that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Oh, well, at least there aren't any mosquitoes in the woods now. There's still some colorful foliage hanging on the branches so it will be a pretty walk on a sunny day.

I usually see some late-season alpine strawberries or a few rebellious raspberries struggling to ripen before the frost, but I haven't seen any for at least a few weeks. Maybe the chipmunks got them.

Last edited by yoyoma; 11-03-2014 at 09:35 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #6  
Workin' It

We got a freeze this morning, so my remaining pepper plants are all gone. Luckily, I harvested this weekend, though I had a lot of tabasco peppers ripening that I'm sad that I missed.

Dagmar - high five!

Michele - modified duty drives me crazy.

I've got some pretty complicated personal drama going on, and really regret volunteering at my son's school. I don't understand why some people work so hard to make everyone around them miserable.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #7  

Good luck, Shannon! PTA moms can be the craziest ones.

I wish I hadn't said "yes" to the modified duty. I feel bad pawning her off to anyone else (she's an older lady and not tech savvy) and her "orders" specifically say "library helper". It's funny what they put on her allowable duties-- they must have gotten a list of job duties from the 70s-- she can use the card catalog (!), answer the phone and take messages and the like....

Yoyoma-- I don't understand anyone that likes the cold. BRRRR!! It was 40 this morning which is way too chilly for me-- I'm rocking my UGGS today!
Old 11-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

I survived Halloween with only a candy corn binge. There's no trick-or-treat type candy in my apartment, and I'm definitely going to keep it that way! I just hope everyone who works in clinic with me doesn't bring their leftovers this afternoon.

I'm at a total standstill as far as exercise. I've been looking for a gym, but I'll be here less than a year and places are super inflexible about annual contracts (and/or just plain super expensive!). I'm always cold, so it's gotten to the point of the year where walking/running outside isn't an option anymore. I'm frustrated with it... my sanity wanes when I'm sedentary.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriswhispers View Post
I survived Halloween with only a candy corn binge. There's no trick-or-treat type candy in my apartment, and I'm definitely going to keep it that way! I just hope everyone who works in clinic with me doesn't bring their leftovers this afternoon.

I'm at a total standstill as far as exercise. I've been looking for a gym, but I'll be here less than a year and places are super inflexible about annual contracts (and/or just plain super expensive!). I'm always cold, so it's gotten to the point of the year where walking/running outside isn't an option anymore. I'm frustrated with it... my sanity wanes when I'm sedentary.
if you live in an apartment building with a lot of stairs you could run the stairs. I had to do that a couple of times with a dog I picked up from the 16th floor. Running down was easy - up not so much. LOL

Dagmar
Old 11-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriswhispers View Post

Have you considered bikram yoga? I love it year round, but especially in the winter when I'm cold. It's often the only time of the day when I'm not freezing. Most studios offer a "drop-in" rate or a pass (like a 10 pass card). Most also have an intro offer for new students with unlimited classes for a week or two.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #11  

Height: 5'7"

Michele - Gosh, seems like they could have her help with a K or 1st teacher with cutting, and prepping all the stuff those grades need!

Shannon- that's so annoying. You want to tell those people to get a life!

Dagmar - yay on your weight and YAY that DH has to walk more! That's so good for him both physically and mentally! I need to get mine to walk more too. We ride bikes every weekend - 20-28 miles on both Sat and Sun but that's all he does. I'm working out every day!

Bill - I was surprised to read also that adults take candy or fruit. They probably take it when they walk away from the house down here, but only the kids come up to the door. The parents didn't even walk up to the door at my house but I didn't have anything scary out.

Iris - As sick as I am of the HOT in Florida, I think I'm with you, that I wouldn't be able to exercise outside if it was very cold. It was 50 this AM when I ran and I thought that was really cold (Northerners, I know it sounds ridiculous .... but after you have been down here a while you can't take it!) Last night I drove to the store around 6pm and it was just getting dark because of the time change, I saw a lady walking with a big coat on and a scarf around her face and it was 60 degrees. LOL

That all being said, I actually loved my run once I got past mile 1 and warmed up! I am upping my runs to 4.4 miles (using Couch to 10K now).

I just counted the school days until Christmas break!!! Only 16 days left in November! Then in December there are 15 school days but 4 are exam days, and I am on a 3-day field trip so that means only 8 days in December. While I'm excited about that, how the heck am I going to get the rest of my curriculum in? EEKS! I had it all mapped out when the semester started but my students are just not catching on this year (well, one class section is but the others are not!) So I have had to go much slower than the past few years. OK, time to panic.

Last edited by CalCounter1003; 11-03-2014 at 07:30 PM.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:49 AM   #12  

I'm losing the last Labrador off the bus Friday. I feel like it's the end of an era in my dog walking career. Her owner lost her job, her husband is fighting to keep his, and they have two kids at university.

They get big "packages" though, and since they are accountants I assume they already have a big retirement savings fund. They own a big house in a good area.

I will get maybe a bottle of wine and a nice card. It's frustrating and heartbreaking (this dog has been with me since she was 10 weeks old - 8 years +) to be so expendable.

Guess I better get out there and start hustling for another client.

Dagmar
Old 11-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #13  
Workin' It

Yeah, I was warned that we had some dramatic parents in the school when I was somewhat strong armed into volunteering to be president, but I wasn't prepared for the lengths to which some would go. Wowza.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:24 AM   #14  

Today I say goodbye to another dog. This is an old Labrador who has been with me also for 8 years. I've been giving him a potty break for the last month as he's too weak to climb into the car. He's almost 15 (!) years old and is in a lot of pain. He will finally be at peace today and, though I'm sad he's going to die, I'm glad he'll be at peace.

In good news Trixie got a clean bill of health from the vet and we've booked her spay for the end of November. I'm starting my last pet sit of the year tonite which ends Sunday. After that I will be glad to stay at home for a couple of months with my own pets, resurrect my relationship with DH, and get healthy again. I've been away from home every couple of weeks from August on and life has become chaotic and fractured.

I'm looking forward to some semblance of normal.

Dagmar
Old 11-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #15  

Sorry to hear about another loss for you, Dagmar, but what a long and wonderful life for a dog! I'm glad you're almost done with your pet sits for the year.

I went to the chiro for my back yesterday and he said I have discs that are compressed in my lower back. So, rather than them having nice space between them, they are squished together. No wonder I'm in so much pain. I wish I could say I feel much better today, but I don't. Maybe marginally. I'm just praying I feel better by the time I fly Saturday morning. I have another appointment Friday afternoon. In the meantime, no exercise (!Ack!), ice, etc. The anti-inflammatories are hurting my tummy so I'm going to try to not take them, but I will if need be.