Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-24-2014, 02:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

Default Trying the C25K .....

So I'm on the first week of couch to 5k training and I'm absolutely horrendous at running. Most times I can't even make the minute run!! And on the walking intervals I barely catch my breath. I know I'm pushing myself but I hope it's not too hard with being such a simple task. I know I'm out of shape but I just want to be a runner. I look forward to the sessions and want to be that person who runs AND likes it. Is anyone else running? How long did it take you to actually run? When does it get better and not feel like your lungs are dying?? Desperate to get in shape and run. X
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:24 AM   #2  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddahcat View Post
So I'm on the first week of couch to 5k training and I'm absolutely horrendous at running. Most times I can't even make the minute run!! And on the walking intervals I barely catch my breath. I know I'm pushing myself but I hope it's not too hard with being such a simple task. I know I'm out of shape but I just want to be a runner. I look forward to the sessions and want to be that person who runs AND likes it. Is anyone else running? How long did it take you to actually run? When does it get better and not feel like your lungs are dying?? Desperate to get in shape and run. X
Go check out THIS THREAD where everyone doing Couch to 5K is hanging out. It's a very active thread so you'll get lots of help and motivation!

My quick advice to you is this.....slow down! If you can't run the minute and are having difficulty breathing you're going too fast. The idea of C25K - and just building running endurance in general - is to work on distance not pace. Go further, not faster.

When I did C25K back in 2010, I thought I was going to die on Week 1. It was a million kinds of awful. So bad, in fact, that I redid Week 1 because I couldn't imagine progressing to anything more difficult. And you know what? Something magic happened on W1D2 the second time around.....it was totally doable and I felt like a runner. Something just clicked and it was amazing.

Best of luck to you! And go have fun with all the other chicklets doing C25K!

Last edited by Novus; 06-24-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

I think I'm trying to run too fast. Plus most of the area is uphill/ downhill. I need to find somewhere flat. And yes the app is couch to 5 k. I'm still week 1 and think I may repeat it another week. I'm finding that I am really psyched to go out and run. And I'm never that happy to exercise. So I hope that if I slow down and go at my own pace that it will be more comfortable and I can progress. Love the chicklets word lol ..
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #4  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

What Pattience says about hills being important is true. Advanced training programs for runners include "hill work."

However, at this point in time for you, I would suggest finding somewhere flat so you can concentrate on the C25K program and doing the intervals as the program dictates rather than having to walk just because you've encountered a hill. The program is specifically designed to help you build endurance via intervals and it's best to follow it as closely as possible. Many many many people have found C25K successful and become runners because of it....so it's best not to mess with a proven thing.

Just my opinion.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote