Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 208/182/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Colostomy

I'm new here and I have a special challenge. I had surgery for a burst appendix followed by a series of complications and I now have a colostomy! The reversal surgery will be in late October. I don't think I could adjust to a permanent colostomy. It's been an awful experience.

My challenge is to get as fit as possible for the upcoming surgery without gaining or losing weight. The surgeon instructed me to not diet, eat lots of protein and to walk a lot. Prior to the appendectomy I was on the south beach diet phase 2 and doing well. I couldn't maintain the diet during the weeks I was in and out of hospital. Between dieting and being ill I lost 25#. I'm afraid of gaining weight because I'm craving carbs. I need to lose about 50 more pounds.

Walking has been going well. On a good day I can walk 6500 steps. My goal is to walk 10,000 steps six out of seven days a week.

I plan to use this thread to hold myself accountable and post my status now and then.
Bean jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #2  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean jean View Post
I'm new here and I have a special challenge. I had surgery for a burst appendix followed by a series of complications and I now have a colostomy! The reversal surgery will be in late October. I don't think I could adjust to a permanent colostomy. It's been an awful experience.

My challenge is to get as fit as possible for the upcoming surgery without gaining or losing weight. The surgeon instructed me to not diet, eat lots of protein and to walk a lot. Prior to the appendectomy I was on the south beach diet phase 2 and doing well. I couldn't maintain the diet during the weeks I was in and out of hospital. Between dieting and being ill I lost 25#. I'm afraid of gaining weight because I'm craving carbs. I need to lose about 50 more pounds.

Walking has been going well. On a good day I can walk 6500 steps. My goal is to walk 10,000 steps six out of seven days a week.

I plan to use this thread to hold myself accountable and post my status now and then.
Sending good and healthy wishes. You have been through a lot. Recently I was hospitalized for a redundant colon and probable twisting of the bowel causing a partial mechanical obstruction. Apparently it can twist and untwist...and some of my tests indicated twisting and the later that it had untwisted. Today I'm scheduled for yet another test. Eventually I will probably need to have a bowel resection which will remove 1/3 of my large bowel. While pending the decision ...I also had to stop a low carb protocol I was on. I had almost reached my goal and hope to be able to get back on track soon. And hope to avoid surgery until I'm there!!

Don't give up on your progress...you can do this. It's a bump in the road...sure. But look how far you've come!
Bravo!!
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote