Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #1  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Default I want to do a proper push-up

I can't do a full push-up to save my life right now. My muscles simply aren't strong enough to achieve it at this weight. Must strengthen my triceps and upper chest, improve my scapular stability, and lose weight. Just decided that this is a good goal for me as of last week.

I can easily do wall push-ups with my feet about 3' out from the wall. My trainer says I have good form. I can manage one push-up with good form on a raised bench, but my form falls apart on the second attempt. On my knees, I get about half-way down, starting with arms fully extended, and can still get back up, but not fully down and back up again.

So, here's my plan:

1. Will continue with weight loss efforts.

2. Triceps exercises: Skull crushers and reverse close-grip bench presses

3. Upper chest exercises: Incline dumbbell press and incline fly

4. Scapular stability exercises: Been doing those in Pilates already

5. Just do the dang push-ups! http://www.hundredpushups.com/ I think I'll build up my step bench with risers, high enough so that I can do at least five push-ups with good form, then follow the workout routine from the website to slowly build up my abilities.

Seven weeks - that puts my plan into the middle of July. I'll chart my progress here. Maybe I'll be able to achieve dips by then too!

Last edited by geoblewis; 05-27-2013 at 05:27 PM.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

Day 1 of my road to achieving a true push-up:

I talked with my trainer this morning about the push-ups plan. She is all for it. She stressed that a poorly performed push-up was of no benefit to me, so I really need to concentrate on doing it right.

Participated in Pilates class today, so I got my scapular stability work done first.

This afternoon I stacked some risers under a step-bench and tried to ascertain what level I needed in order to complete five push-ups while maintaining good form. Today's magic number is 12 pairs of risers and a step. I set it all up against the wall and was able to hang on to my form well for three push-ups, but struggled some with the fourth and even more with the fifth. I think that's a good level to work with for now.

We don't have an incline bench at the studio, so I'm doing my incline work at home later today. But I just completed 3 sets/8 reps of skull crushers with a 15-lb. dumbbell and reverse close-grip bench presses with one 15-lb. dumbbell in each hand. Very sloppy with my movements. I couldn't go back to do another set of push-ups after that. That is all my triceps can do! I wonder if I should drop back to 12-lb. dumbbells. I'll have my trainer have a look at my form on Wednesday.

I wonder if push-ups are something I can do every day, like core work. I think I'll do them daily, five days a week, until my muscles tell me otherwise.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

Day 2

Oh, I definitely found my triceps yesterday, because today they are so blissfully screaming at me. And I love it!

So, I didn't do any work with weights today. But I did do several sets of 45-degree push-ups against the counter. Then later, in my Pilates class, we also did push-ups on the floor. Triceps were wickedly sore the whole time!

Did some extra scapular stabilization work today as well. Can't wait to see the eventual results of my work!
Old 05-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/167/150

Height: 5'10

Way to go!!!! I think you are on the right track. Keep focusing on proper form and muscle strengthening, and you WILL get there!!
Andrea85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Hmmmmmmm....I may join you in this challenge...just not today. Today is my scheduled rest day. I have to have it. Muscles are too fatigued and if I try it now, I will likely injure myself. But...maybe tomorrow. Sounds like a fun challenge!!!
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #6  
Renaissance Woman

By all means, zoesmom, join in! I totally get taking a break. I workout five days in a row and by Friday, my muscles are so trashed. And it does take me all weekend to face Monday again.

So yesterday was Day 3. I forgot to post. I did my triceps workout but I adjusted it some. I can't do the skullcrushers with a 15-lb. weight. My form was really bad. I switched down to a 12-lb. weight and did two sets of 12. Same for the reverse close-grip bench presses. I totally forgot to do my incline workout because I do that at home and by the time I got home from work, brain had stopped working.

I did do two sets of 10 push-ups against the wall to set up my form, then did two sets of 10 push-ups against a counter for 45-degree push-ups. And wow! I went up from 5 push-ups to 10 push-ups in a couple days?! Wha?!

I have been doing the scapular stabilization work daily, especially stretching out my shoulders and triceps. Oh my lord I have been sore!

So for today, Day 4, more scapular work in Pilates class (trying to do dips, but still completely sucking at that) and I'll do the incline work I missed yesterday a couple hours before Pilates class. I think I'll do them while balanced on a fitness ball and get a little core workout too. I'm actually leaning back and stretching out my arms while sitting in my reclining desk chair. The stretch feels so good!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

Last Friday was Day 5 of my push-ups training. I dialed it back a bit and did some wall push-ups to remind myself about form again. Found that I was getting sloppy as the effort got harder with the 45-degree counter push-ups. I performed 3 sets of 10 push-ups on the counter after that, with about two minutes rest between sets. The last set was really hard. Did a bit more triceps work as well.

I took a break from all workouts for the weekend, so yesterday I was well rested. In my cardio class, I performed some push-ups down on the ground, with hands four risers and a bench up. I got eight done before I started losing form. I got pretty low! Really amazed myself with that. Oh, they were on my knees as well, so maybe that's why they were easier. I also did some triceps work with some simple skull crushers and 12-lb. weights. Not much soreness at all today.

The class was performing dips while sitting on elevated benches, but again, backside too big to facilitate that. So my modification was to sit at the front edge of the bench and pull my hands straight down, pushing down my shoulders while lifting my collar. I also pushed the palms of my hands into the front of the bench as I pushed them down. Got a good stretch through my shoulders that felt great, plus felt the work in my triceps. Good scapular work.

Day 6, tonight is Pilates class. I'll just stick to that today.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #8  
Renaissance Woman

Still on track with my efforts here. Happy for the weekend rest! OMG! My triceps have been killing me!

I'm still performing the 45-degree counter push-ups, 3 sets of 10 push-ups on the counter, with about two minutes rest between sets. My form is a bit stronger. I do better with that when someone is coaching me.

I still work at push-ups on the floor, just to check my progress. Some days it feels like I am getting lower to the ground with some control. Some days not so much.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #9  
Renaissance Woman

I took a two week break during vacationing. Not a break from exercising, just from focusing on the push-ups. Started getting a bit bored with it. But I picked up again on Monday and am right back to where I left off. Triceps aren't achy at all today, so perhaps next week I can add a fourth set of 10 45-degree push-ups.

I started doing some of these this week for scapular strength: http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/fit...exerciseid=249
Old 07-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #10  
Renaissance Woman

Oh yes! My boss is my trainer, at a Pilates studio. She works with me a couple days a week, solely on my push up form.

I am struggling with the fourth set of 10. I get to about the sixth push-up of the fourth set and I really lose my form. And for the past couple of weeks, it's been so hot. I feel really drained during my workouts. But I'm not quitting!
Old 08-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #11  
Renaissance Woman

Update on my progress...

I had worked up tp 3 sets of 10 push-ups at counter height. But last week I dropped it down by 3" by setting up 14 risers and a step bench. I was able to complete 2 sets of 10, then a 3rd set, but only 8 of those. Definitely harder. And definitely progress!
Old 08-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #12  
Renaissance Woman

Update:

I was sick for a week and didn't exercise, but did lose 8 lbs. I went back to my workout on Friday and pumping my 20-lb. curls was really tough. Had to drop to 15 lbs. on my second set.

However, with being a bit lighter, I was able to drop my risers to 13 to perform my pushups! It's very tough to complete the first set of 10 and keep my form. But I'm determined to keep this weight off and hang on to my progress.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #13  
Jiggly Member

S/C/G: 220/195/140?

Height: 5'2"

You're doing great!

I tried a pushup the other day and could only go part of the way down. It wasn't pretty. I'd really like to be able to do them as I know they are supposed to be a really good exercise for you. Maybe I'll try to start with some knee pushups and join you here.
Stay Puft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #14  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Good luck and great job so far!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #15  
Renaissance Woman

Stay Puft! Plenty of room for you here!