Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/156/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Beginner to exercise in general

I've finally gotten desperate enough to begin a workout regimen. I've decided to start playing tennis for an hour three times a week and walk a mile every day. Tonight on my walk I tried to jog, but after less than a minute I was so out of breath and the pain from my excess fat jiggling around was horrible. In addition to that after about 4 minutes I felt like I couldn't even make my body cooperate with me. I felt like I was about to just tumble to the ground! Can anyone give me some tips for a beginner? I just imagined running in my head like some great thing, not a slow and painful death!
Lotra91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:56 AM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

when I started running, I just started with what I could do....maybe run for 30 seconds at a moderate pace...then i'd walk and then jog for another 30 seconds, rinse n repeat for half an hour..then after that got easier, i'd jog for a minute and then walk....whatever you are able to do NOW, start there

and a lot of people will tell you that you don't even have to run, just walk....but for me, I could walk forever and not lose weight or gain a strong, toned body....I had to up the intensity and that meant running for me

I still don't run distances....I don't like it, I get too bored...but I can run high intensity intervals and walk at high inclines or run at higher inclines etc...I vary the speed and the incline in all kinds of combinations...and every time I leave the gym dripping in sweat with a good workout done

I also run very occasionally outside, which I do like but unfortunately the pollen and allergens outside reallyyyyy don't like me
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotra91 View Post
I've finally gotten desperate enough to begin a workout regimen. I've decided to start playing tennis for an hour three times a week and walk a mile every day. Tonight on my walk I tried to jog, but after less than a minute I was so out of breath and the pain from my excess fat jiggling around was horrible. In addition to that after about 4 minutes I felt like I couldn't even make my body cooperate with me. I felt like I was about to just tumble to the ground! Can anyone give me some tips for a beginner? I just imagined running in my head like some great thing, not a slow and painful death!
You're not alone--believe me ha.ha.--especially when it comes to running. Running is something you acquire--Something that is definitely earned over a period of time. Even for skinny people it's tough at first. It's endurance at it's excellence.

Starting out on an exercise program I would encourage you to start slowly. In my opinion--you're trying to do too much all at once--which causes exercise burn-out.

You state you're playing tennis 3 times a week and then walking 1 mile everyday. Try cutting out the mile of walking on the days you play tennis. And it's O.K. to take a break--to go down to working out every other day in the beginning. That day off gives your muscles time to rebuild for the next round-along with a little needed rest.

Then when you feel comfortable with this routine work up to walking two miles on the days you're not playing tennis. Take your time--just keep moving--and in time you will build up that endurance to where you can do a run/walk day--and then some day run all the way. It's just takes time--consistency--and with that you will get the endurance you need to do anything you want too--and all the while you're doing it--you're losing fat-and gaining lean muscle mass to push you through to those goals.

You can do it--just stay with it!

Last edited by Kscott; 05-07-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:08 AM   #4  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

The thing is with running/jogging is that you have to build your stamina. Today, after 4 months, I achieved a 30 minute sustained jog for the first time. The first time I jogged in Jan, 3 minutes killed me! and after two weeks of jogging for 3 minutes, that was easier and I started doing 5 minutes.

You have to build yourself up slowly, week by week. Yes, your body is going to hurt from the extra fat jumping around (I experienced that too) but after a time your muscles will tone and your body will slim making it easier. Start by setting a mini-goal. Mine was to run for 30 minutes continuously. My next goal will be to increase my speed or to do 45 minutes (I haven't decided because I didn't think I would achieve it by now LOL).

My suggestion is to run for as long as you can and/or power-walk for, say, 30 minutes. Power-walking is great for increasing fitness and it's how I started to increase my stamina. My advice, and something I do myself, is that when you feel the burn, keep going for another 30 seconds before you stop. It not only helps you mentally, but it helps build stamina too. Try doing this every second day so that you give your body time to rest, especially in the beginning or if you are pushing yourself hard. Your body needs time to heal or you will start pulling muscles etc. I pushed myself too hard too often and sustained a few and I had to take 3-4 days off each time to let them heal. Not fun!

Last edited by Rhiko; 05-07-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

If you want to improve your running, I'd recommend you look into a C25K (couch to 5K) program. I've tried the program numerous times but this go around I'm sticking with it. When I restarted it 6 weeks ago I had trouble running 2 minutes. Yesterday I ran 10 minutes twice and I know I'm getting stronger and I will be able to get to 5k eventually. If you asked me 6 months ago I had no confidence in my running ability, but this program definitely makes it easy and it works!
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #6  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

C25K definitely works if you give it a chance.

Excess fat jiggling at 157???...Hmmm... You can always try compression gear. But honestly you just get used to running after a bit.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #7  
They call me Nunu!

Height: 170 cms/ 5’7

Couch to 5k rocks! Try it!
There´s also good workout videos out there, Walk Away the Pounds and Turbo Jam are great, but maybe leave those for winter and now try jogging, I truly love running though I suck at it, but I will get better!!!!
FiftyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/156/135

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm going to start couch to 5k tomorrow and cut out walking on my tennis days.
Lotra91 is offline   Reply With Quote