Old 03-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

Default Low Carb and Sleeping Too Much???

When I first started the primal/paleo diet I felt like crap for about 1 week and then I felt amazing. I found I was needing even less sleep for a while - couldn't nap anymore and provided I got about 7 hours of sleep, I felt great! (prior to that I was sleeping 8ish hours with naps on occassion).

And then slowly I found myself needing more and more sleep - to the point that last night I slept 14 hours and then still took a nap .... And now its 7pm and I feel like I could go to bed if I let myself.

Is this a low carb side effect? Am I having physical symptoms of depression perhaps? (My mood is generlaly been fine, I do take prozac)?

Any ideas?

In the last year I had my thyroid tested and that was fine. I also had insulin resistance that seemed to be cured by low carbing/natural eating.

What could this be? I made an appointment to see my doctor - but don't want to live like this and am trying to figure this out in the meantime.
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #2  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Definitely check with your doctor because this could be any of a million things.

I had an experience like this about 6 weeks after I started low carbing. I was feeling fantastic and then...BAM...I was so sleepy all the time I could barely function. At one point I slept 23 hours in a 30 hour time period! (It was basically exactly as you described - 14 hours of sleep, and then a nap, and then wanting to go right back to bed.) And then suddenly I was fine again. The only possible explanation I could find (and this is total conjecture and could be completely wrong) is that fat stores toxins, and when the fat starts to break down, the toxins are released into your blood stream, so maybe it was a toxin overdose, or something.

Hope you get some answers from your doctor and feel better soon.

Last edited by Novus; 03-17-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

Novus - Good thought. My nutritionist warned me that in general, when losing weight you need to sleep more cause of the toxin issue (i.e. toxin stored in fat, losing weight releases toxins) .. but this seems excessive.

I will check with my doctor. I have also been plateauing weight loss - so I don't think the toxin theory works in this case.

I read somewhere that low carb can be tough on the thyroid - but haven't verified that. Regardless, probably worth checking my thyroid again.
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote