Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #1  

Default Walking--do you suck it in and hold 'em up?

Your stomach and arms that is!

When I walk, whether on my treadmill or outside on the sidewalk, I always suck in my stomach (as best as I can) and walk with my arms up on my side.

Why do I do it?? I don't know! I just always have?
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

You mean like placing your arms on your hips?

As far as sucking it is. That's actually called "engaging your core". So, that's good. Though, I think for your body, letting your arms swing naturally is probably a better position. And it will burn more calories.

Here's an article and an imbedded link on good posture for walking.

http://www.the-fitness-walking-guide...king-tips.html

I walk a lot - it's such an overlooked great exercise. people want to get through it fast just to start running. Running is not necessary to get a good workout.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 01-19-2013 at 01:21 PM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 317/292/150

Height: 5'3 ½

I don't suck in my stomach..This is going to sound so weird but ever since I was in 5th grade (10 years old) I have been sucking in my butt. LOL!!!! I still catch myself doing it all the time now.
livelaughlovesunshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

I try to keep my back straight, but I don't suck in (unless someone is looking at me... lol). I keep one hand on my tote bag strap and the other is holding my iPod, so my form is probably not so great!
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #5  

Ooops sorry, somehow I missed these replies. It's hard navigating this site with my phone!

berryblondeboys, thanks for that link! I'm going to check it out as soon as I am done with this reply. As far as holding up my arms, it's more like holding them up like I am power walking (so bent at the elbow and my hands out front, does that make sense lol?) even though I am not power walking. I just always hold them up like that but have no idea why. I'm weird! I wish I could run. I couldn't run when I was a little kid or young adult, it never came natural to me. It's on my list for my next life though! Walking will have to do for this one.

Livelaughsunshine, I just laughed out loud and scared my dog! Sucking your butt in was so funny to me!

Vabs, too funny about someone looking at you!! I wish I could suck every side and angle in myself!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #6  
babybat

I don't do neither, but now I might try sucking it in a little thanks for the tips everyone
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
I wish I could suck every side and angle in myself!
LOL If only!!!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs View Post
I try to keep my back straight, but I don't suck in (unless someone is looking at me... lol). I keep one hand on my tote bag strap and the other is holding my iPod, so my form is probably not so great!
Really, if you are wanting to walk for exercise, get a bag you can wear on your back or on your waist to free up your hands. At least with your ipod you can swing your arms.

If you are always holding a tote in your arms, you will get out of balance which could eventually lead to injury.

Now, if this is walking around the city or walk/commute, that's a bit different than using walking for fitness as I doubt you are walking to a sweat if you are walking to and from work.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Really, if you are wanting to walk for exercise, get a bag you can wear on your back or on your waist to free up your hands. At least with your ipod you can swing your arms.

If you are always holding a tote in your arms, you will get out of balance which could eventually lead to injury.

Now, if this is walking around the city or walk/commute, that's a bit different than using walking for fitness as I doubt you are walking to a sweat if you are walking to and from work.
Oh, that's a great idea! I have a backpack I can use already, too. It is 'for exercise' walking, and I take my water, phone, misc stuff, etc with me. So it's never really that heavy, but why not use what I've already got!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

I haven't been sucking in my gut when walking, but I will now! Thanks for the reminder!!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote