Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #1  

Height: 5'0"

Default Where would you put the treadmill in your house?

Here's my story in brief:

SAHM. Pregnant. Two young kids (toddler and preschooler) who don't nap or go to daycare. No budget for childcare or gym fees. Too sleep deprived to exercise in morning before kids awake or night after kids go to bed.

Want treadmill in a place where I can use it while also keeping an eye on the kids while they watch TV, do a craft, play, etc. Right now treadmill in unfinished, dingy, dirty basement, so not ideal.

Choices for location:

My Bedroom: Got a TV in there so kids could watch. I could workout when I wake and take a shower while the kids watch cartoons and play in their rooms. But it's on 2nd floor and will be giant PITA to move. Also, Hubby may be less likely to use it there. Also, I have trouble sleeping and turning my bedroom into an exercise room may not be the best cure for my insomnia.

Living/Dining Room: Within eyesight of TV, art table, and playroom, so easy to keep an eye on the kids and keep them entertained. But I'd still have to cart the kids upstairs to shower after my workout. Also, it's an eyesore and a PITA to move, so most of our guests would see it. (We could move it for major/big/fancy parties into the office, but wouldn't bother for casual get togethers.)

I know this seems like a ridiculous problem, but I keep wavering and Hubby won't move it until I'm certain where I want it. What would you do?
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #2  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

I'd go for the living room. When my boy was little, this was my deal also.
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I'd go with living room also.
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #4  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

I have my bike and ellipticle in the dinning room/livi g room they don't look nice there and I tend to get agitated by things being out of place, but it works to keep me using them as I watch my pre recorded old episodes of friends. I know that i do an episode for my bike then an episode for ellipticle. Sometimes an extra one when I am up to it. It really distracts me and keeps me laughing.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Another question - why a treadmill? why not pop a video in and have the kids "exercise" with you? Or, set them up with the ipad or something and you use the TV for the exercise video - that way nothing in the way and you can change what routine you do based on how you feel and what your need.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #6  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Living room, that's where my elliptical is
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Another question - why a treadmill? why not pop a video in and have the kids "exercise" with you? Or, set them up with the ipad or something and you use the TV for the exercise video - that way nothing in the way and you can change what routine you do based on how you feel and what your need.
I've tried a variation of that. My elder kid and I will dance or exercise with the Wii. But my younger one only lets me do it for about 15 minutes before she's clinging to my leg and crying. She either wants the TV or someone to play with her. It ends up being "not much of a workout" for me.

My younger one is still a bit too young with too short of an attention span for that to work. In another year it might work. Of course, at that time I'll have a new baby, so all bets are off.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #8  
Melissa

Then, what about getting them a DVD player or an ipad so they can watch a show and you have the tv to yourself? A lot cheaper and more likely to be used than a treadmill.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #9  
Melissa

Though, you could walk with a baby in a carrier with a treadmill (with head protected properly), but I would also worry about kids and a treadmill in the same room - with their fingers getting caught while you were on it or something.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 153/140/120

Height: 5.4

Living room, that's where mine is....right next to my chair. Out of sight out of mind...not for me.

Last edited by suzyslimdown; 01-15-2013 at 11:53 PM.
suzyslimdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Though, you could walk with a baby in a carrier with a treadmill (with head protected properly), but I would also worry about kids and a treadmill in the same room - with their fingers getting caught while you were on it or something.
I have a safety gate/fence to put around it, so we're good as far as that goes.

I'm actually MORE likely to use a treadmill than a DVD, mostly because walking/running is my preferred method of exercise. I'm super uncoordinated so I have a hard time following DVD instructors. And then, by the time I learn all the moves, I find the DVD is too easy.

Also, though, I just like walking/running.

When the new baby comes and my c-section heals, I'll probably walk outside. I'll push the older kids in the double jogger and carry the baby on my back. That's how I've usually exercised post-baby in the past.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #12  
Melissa

Sounds like you have a plan - and if you really want to use it - use it where it is best to use - and don't worry about how it "looks". It's much better to be healthy and happy than to worry about aesthetics. Plus, people will be more impressed that you are exercising with three little ones than they would think ill of you for your decoration choices. Plus, who has a pretty house with wee little ones anyway? Unless you consider toys nice decorations.