Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/241/150

Height: 5'7

Default Yoga for heavier ladies

Im 241 and want to try yoga but I am too intimidated to try a class. Has anyone who is near my weight or over started yoga and how did you do it? I was thinking of getting a DVD or using on-demand to find a yoga video to get me started at home until I get more confident with the poses.

Also, does anyone do Pilates? Can heavier ladies do that? I'm just looking for different things so I dont get bored with workout routines.
bleuwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuwater View Post
Im 241 and want to try yoga but I am too intimidated to try a class. Has anyone who is near my weight or over started yoga and how did you do it? I was thinking of getting a DVD or using on-demand to find a yoga video to get me started at home until I get more confident with the poses.

Also, does anyone do Pilates? Can heavier ladies do that? I'm just looking for different things so I dont get bored with workout routines.
I use an aeropilates machine at home. If you want to view videos before buying, I think it is collage.com or college.com fitness videos. Also, alot of them are on utube. I hope that helps.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 248:( see tracker:) 180♥

Height: 5'9

I use this DVD-Stress Relief Yoga For Beginners. I find it easy to follow and it's only 20 minutes.
CircClerkJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

You can most definitely do yoga & pilates... I was religious about my yoga for over a year... ( I need to get my motivation back).. I had a friend I practiced with at home.. She used to be a yoga instructor, so helped me modify moves/asanas to accommodate my excess weight... Though I am heavier than most my friends, I am much more flexible.. I have several Rodney Yee videos I use to help motivate me in my practices.

Pilates I taught myself through book, & later followed videos. (2 videos I use: ana caban is instructor of "Pilates beginning mat workout" & one called "Fit at 40+"

I currently live in rural India so classes are not an option for me... but if you could find a beginner class where all are learning, don't be intimidated, the instructor can help you in doing the modified versions of poses correctly, to accommodate your weight.

When I was doing yoga or Pilates 4 days a week, I felt awesome! Need to kick my own butt back into gear!!

Last edited by indigal; 01-03-2013 at 10:26 PM.
indigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #5  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I recommend "Heavyweight Yoga". Here's a youtube clip of the instructor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf96ns3bJ3I
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:51 AM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

Found an interesting article....
Didn't know it had a name... "Curvy Yoga" maybe you could find a class near you.

http://www.yogateacherjournal.com/ye...-yoga-teacher/
indigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 263/262/160

Height: 5'4

I do yoga and I am a tad bit heavier then you.
Cemommster is offline   Reply With Quote