Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #1  
babybat

Height: 5'7

Unhappy How do you deal with the "not seeing results right away" feeling?

the title says it all...
It's been about a week and I'm still preparing, but I already have the "not seeing any result" blues...

I know it's only going to get worse, so how did/do you deal with the waiting??
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/124

Height: 5'2

I deal with it by working-out harder and sometimes; i just tell myself next week will get better. It can get frustrating not seeing results when you know you are working hard. But on the up side; you know it will pay off later down the line.
Fatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:23 AM   #3  

I am in the same boat, having upped the ante on toning my body about 3 weeks ago. I'm currently reminding myself of why I did this, I wanted to be fitter, stronger and healthier. So, every day that I be fitter, stronger and healthier I am closer to my goal. I'm doing really good things for my body both on the inside and out.. So really, so what if the scale doesn't see that straight away.. It will pay off in time. I find just thinking like this every day is making it easier to just get on with my life rather than stressing over a scale or a mirror. I must admit I am not perfect I still wake up in the morning and think.. Why aren't I toned yet?? Then I laugh at the thought and just remind myself to get on with it. It took me six months of laziness to get this squishy so it will take longer than a few weeks to get to looking fit again.
Goodluck with it.
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 62kg/61kg/55kg

Height: 172

I focus on the positives. The number of the scale is just one way of measuring. Focus on how good you feel after your workout. How much better your stamina has become, how you no longer need as much food as before to feel full, stuff like that.

These experiences usually come before you lose any weight. Don't worry, it'll definitely pay off soon. You need more time to see results!
blurgalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #5  

I haven't seen a drastic difference in my appearance, but because I'm working out I feel drastically different. I feel lighter and more fit and happier. It's only been a week since I got back on track.

Have you been exercising? You can try focusing on how you feel rather than what you see.
TheLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Have you been sleeping better? In a better mood? Has *anything* changed in your workouts - more weight, more reps, more distance, more time, more speed, etc? Do you feel more flexible or stronger or faster (even if you have nothing to back that up)?

Maybe you need a more motivating way of tracking things. I've been putting stickers on a calendar - there's one for eating on plan, and one for exercise. I know it sounds like I'm treating myself like a little kid, but... I just like seeing the stickers add up.

Last edited by mayness; 12-05-2012 at 12:05 PM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #7  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Totally get it. I used to feel ashamed to even brag about how much I lost, because I couldn't see the difference and I had so far to go. But I also realized I don't feel like I"m going to die when I walk up my steps, I can skip a meal or postpone one without my entire focus being finding food, and I'm in a better mood!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #8  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

I totally get this. I've lost 60lbs+ so far, and I can't see a change at all. Even when the kinect shows it's little pictures it takes when you're playing a game, I still see a short fat teapot.

That being said, I can keep up with my husband (who's 6'7" and has a long stride) and dog when we're out. I can go up stairs without feeling as if I'm going to die..well..sometimes. Depends on the stairwell

Maybe there's an Aha! moment and we just haven't found it yet. I don't know about you, but I'm going to keep searching for it.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #9  
Health and Happiness

S/C/G: Restart May 2012: 206/161/fit

Height: 5'5"

I change my focus. I think about how good taking care of my body feels. Or I focus on athletic/strength improvements. Or on how much healthier I am now than I have ever been.

A lot of changes are subtle and/or take awhile to be obvious (especially to others) and/or are extremely slow. Patience is such a big part of this process.

Plus, the goal is for this to be a forever change, not something temporary that must be endured. Since this is forever, who cares if progress is slow or if you stall for a bit.

Just keep doing what you are doing and let time pass.
GardenBurglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #10  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

just keep waiting it out and it will pay off

when i started running (for the first time in my life) last year, i ran 6 days a week for a month and a half without seeing ANY change on the scale...none, zero, zilch....and i kept at it just knowing that something was bound to give

and i went on a trip for 3 days and during that time, lost TEN pounds in 3 days....and it stayed gone, never to return....so weird!
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #11  

I'm in the same boat and now is usually when I start to self-sabotage. It's been a month since I started watching what I ate again, and only a week since I started swimming 3 x a week. I am down 14 pounds (though I'm up 2 lbs because I had a massive cheat day 2 days ago, but I'm back on track since yesterday) which should be an accomplishment, but I'm at an early stage of not seeing instant results and I know I -SHOULDN'T- expect instant results. I didn't gain 100 pounds overnight, it isn't going to come off overnight!

My main motivator right now is that I'm setting an example for my overweight mother. If I quit, she'll quit. She has diabetes and hip/knee problems and I don't want her to die or end up in a wheelchair any time soon. So, I push on.

I can't offer any more advice than anyone else, since I've gotten to this point before and quit b/c of the lack of results (which is completely unrealistic, I know!). One day at a time, right?

Another thing I remember is: The time is going to pass whether or not you're sticking to your plan. It may seem like 6 months is a loooong time, but it's going to pass regardless. I always think (and I'm trying to change this way of thinking) "oh god 6 months!? that's like FOREVER!" and then I quit and before I know it, it's a YEAR later and the time just FLEW by.

So, one day at a time now.
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #12  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Honestly I didn't gain 75lbs over night, I'm not going to lose it over night.
It's just something I've had to accept :-(
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #13  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

I try to focus on my overall health. So not only am I trying to lose body fat, but I'm also trying to gain muscle, increase my bone strength, improve my cholesterol and other numbers, improve my heart health, decrease stress.

But sometimes I do my workout only out of sheer stubborness that I'm too stubborn to quit. I've been plateau'd at this weight for a long time, and just recently re-committed to an exercise and diet program. The exercise program is one I've done before- P90X. The diet program is all new to me, it's the paleo diet but so far it seems to be doing a good job of keeping my blood sugar stabilized and keeping me from bingeing.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #14  
Health and Happiness

S/C/G: Restart May 2012: 206/161/fit

Also, all of the little milestones along the way are even sweeter when you know you have worked really hard to get there. If it was quick and easy we wouldn't be able to get so much pride from our accomplishments.

Hang in there!
GardenBurglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #15  
babybat

Height: 5'7

thanks, so true
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote