Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/186/160

Height: 5'7''

Default Stepping up and down on a bench?

Or more like one of those aerobic steppers that you see in workout videos... I'm very out of shape and can't fathom going back to the gym right now, I feel more comfortable in my living room... so can I just step up and down on this at a pace that gets my heart rate in the right zone for cardio? Or do I have to do all the other choreography that I'm not good at?
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Any kind of exercise is better than no exercise. How tall is your bench? If it's too tall it could cause injuries (I know that because I got knee injuries from doing too much step aerobics when I was young). Even a very small step will you get your heart rate up really fast. You have to do what is right for you and enjoy doing it.... but for me going up and down on a step without the choreography is so boring I wouldn't stick to it. It also engages very few muscles so I wouldn't do it but like I said, each person has to do what works for them and undoubtedly it will bring your heart rate up so go for it.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Going up and down steps is a great workout! And so easy to find the time, the place and the equipment to do it ... Put some good music on and just go for it... do some moves, with or without weights, with your arms and you will really get your heart rate up there... Good luck!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Any kind of exercise is better than no exercise. How tall is your bench? If it's too tall it could cause injuries (I know that because I got knee injuries from doing too much step aerobics when I was young). Even a very small step will you get your heart rate up really fast. You have to do what is right for you and enjoy doing it.... but for me going up and down on a step without the choreography is so boring I wouldn't stick to it. It also engages very few muscles so I wouldn't do it but like I said, each person has to do what works for them and undoubtedly it will bring your heart rate up so go for it.
the step I'm looking adjusts from 4'' to 12'' I think, it could be more, I was going to start with the 6'' risers on
Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticbliss View Post
the step I'm looking adjusts from 4'' to 12'' I think, it could be more, I was going to start with the 6'' risers on
I have this one http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2073445&mr:trackingCode=15A07A C1-1B5B-E011-BB8E-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:filter=2448667679 1&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=29700260991&mr:match=&mr:key word=&{copy:iq_id}=&{copy:camp}=
My advice is start with the lowest step. You'll be shocked at how quickly this will bring your heart rate up. Even when I was doing step aerobics regularly at 150lbs back then I never could get my step any higher and even the lowest step led me to injuries.

I don't want to discourage you, I'm just trying to advise you to start slowly and carefully. Most injuries happen because people do too much, too soon, and with incorrect form. Just be careful, you only have one body so take care of those ligaments.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #6  

thanks for that Wannabe, I was going to try to start higher, but not anymore!