Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 07-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/288/175

Height: 174cm

Default Eating more when pregnant?

I rather doubt I'm the first person ever to go from a fairly low calorie diet to pregnant. I also doubt I'm the first person to have a bit of a brain-wibble about the extra calories my body now needs.

I've spent the past five months typically eating between 900 and 1400 calories a day. Lost 58lbs from February 6th to July 4th. July 5th, I peed on a stick and realised the way I eat needs to change. The midwife I spoke to about diet said to eat when I'm hungry, but I don't often feel particularly hungry because I'm used to what I eat now, and even when I do feel hungry, it's hard making myself eat more.

Any advice from anyone? How can I get more calories in me without fretting too much? How can I sort my brain out so I feel okay about eating more? How do I make sure I gain the good sort of baby weight (comprised of actual baby etc) and not the loads-of-fat sort of baby weight? Any words of wisdom anyone can share would be good here.
Brid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

You don't need to eat more, your body's hormonal system WILL indicate hunger when nutrition is needed. When you are eating, though, maximize your nutrition with colorful fruits and veggies, plenty of fat, and protein. Prioritize starches last. You should be fine and your hunger will wax and wane as needed.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #3  

Good to know - especially as I've already got good eating habits in place now. I will do my best to stop panicking about this (although I hear panicking's pretty much compulsory with one's first).

You're due in March 2013 too? Pretty sure your signature was different last time I saw it. Congratulations!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Just keep counting (if you're a calorie counter, and I might recommend starting if you're not), but make sure you're counting to the right number and getting the nutrients your body needs. Here's a calculator, and you should double-check with your doctor!

Congrats and good luck!

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pre...calculator.htm

Last edited by kelly315; 07-17-2012 at 12:32 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #5  

Excellent advice! I've been using myfitnesspal for a few days now - I figured knowing exactly how much I'm eating might help me to stop worrying, if nothing else. And I'm finding it helpful because I can see exactly how many calories I've consumed, and how many more I can get through without turning into a human blimp, and that's good on the guilt front.

I've already had a chat with the midwife and she told me all the right things, it's just that sometimes I need to hear it from lots of people before it sinks in. I'll get there eventually though!