Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-13-2012, 03:57 AM   #1  
Every step is progress.

S/C/G: 297/221/175

Height: 5'11"

Default So, yeah.. I got that going for me :)

Hello everyone! I must first say, I'm certain if my friends were aware this forum exists, they would thank you personally, as they are getting tired of my incessant ramblings about diet, exercise, gym routines, etc.

My name is Paige, For the past few months I've been googling my weight loss questions and often I found the answers on this forum, so I figured it was time to stop lurking and join up

I've been heavy all of my life. Some further health complications in the past 2 years led me to several knee surgeries and brain surgery. This led to me getting to my highest weight and my lowest depression. Seeing my father reach 500 lbs on disability and fearing he won't live to see my nephews graduate from high school, made the decision to take the path I'm on right now an easy one.

I began in December with the intent to request a lapband approval. I'm here roughly 6 months later, and 45 lbs lighter. I don't know when the last time I was so excited to achieve anything! (now I'm hoping to avoid the surgery altogether).

I went clothes shopping last weekend, and for the first time in 15 years fit a 18/20. I started crying in the dressing room. I haven't been at this weight since I graduated high school.

I vaguely remember weighing 230 as a sophmore. I set my next soft goal to hit 215 by Labor Day. Its an aggressive goal, but the taste of success so far has become addictive.

I want to thank everyone for sharing their stories of their triumphs and challenges online. Although I would never wish it on anyone, I'm glad to know I'm not alone with the issues and questions I have.

I can't have a signature yet, but I got overly excited to create a ticker of my very own

Last edited by RandomPaige; 05-13-2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: 'cause I'm having a narfy-like moment.
RandomPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #2  
super geek

S/C/G: 185/151/138

Height: 5'9

'ello! I just want to say I love your avatar and welcome!
rocket pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 308/307/198

Height: 5'2"

Hi!

Well done on your amazing weight loss so far!

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've had; I'm glad you've found happiness again.

Amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #4  
Every step is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket pop View Post
'ello! I just want to say I love your avatar and welcome!
Thanks! It was either the worm, or a picture of the doorknocker guards from the movie!

Quote:
Hi!

Well done on your amazing weight loss so far!

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've had; I'm glad you've found happiness again.
Thanks Amy All things being said/done, there wasn't anything I could do to prevent the accoustic neuroma I had that had to be removed. But after it was removed, I was terribly off-kilter and was out of work for almost 2 months. I gained weight during that time. When I recovered from that surgery, I'd just gotten back to be able to play softball when I'd torn both my medial and lateral meniscii in my knee and I was out another 4 weeks.

I am limited to what activity I can do with my knee, but I've worked my way up to doing 45 minutes at a time on the Eliptical machine and the recumbent bike at our gym at work.

My dad has had many knee and shoulder issues in association with his weight, and has significant difficulty maneuvering because of this. I think after my knee healed, It was kind of a final straw that I knew I did not want to follow the same road.

Everyone has been so friendly here!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 319/276.6/154

Height: 5' 8"

Welcome and well done on your loss so far
It sounds like you are doing very well
Stephanie987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/259/160

Height: 5'7

Paige, I read your comment on my post and then went in search of your own post and I'm glad you made one. Congrats on the 45lbs that is amazing. I'm excited to get a ticker too! I added you on my "buddy list" whatever that will do i'm not sure but i'm excited for you and excited to have someone at the begining of their journey, like I am, to work through it with! OH and I LOVE the labyrinth
nataliegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 258/234/138

Height: 5'5.5

Welcome! I'm in a similar boat in that I'm considering surgery and started the qualification process but am also hoping to lose enough to make surgery moot but I havent lost as much as you have. Congrats on your loss! And as you know everyone here is super nice.
gmailjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #8  
Every step is progress.

Thanks all!

Everyone has been super nice

Thanks Natalie! I love the Labyrinth, I'm planning a small tattoo as a reward once I hit my goal, and I was thinking of a catepillar/worm, but I think he's a bit too detailed to keep small, so I shall keep looking.

gmailjunkie- I was deadset in my belief that there was NO way I'd ever lose weight without surgery. My GP lost his wife to bariatric surgery complications years ago. While he's not against it, he knows that its not a fix-all. My ex sis-in-law had lapband and has gained weight. I know nothing is a fix-it, and I'm pleased I listened to the Doc that I can find success with other options as well. My mother asked me yesterday if I was still interested in surgery. I'd prefer not to have it at all, bu the encouragement I've had in the loss so far, has overridden the belief I couldn't physically lose any weight without drastic intervention.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #9  
Sam-I-Am

S/C/G: 324/see ticker/170

Height: 5'8

i actually thought that surgery would be the only way i could lose weight too, but that was because i had people all around me telling me that it was the only way i could lose so much.

there are 2 things that kept me from pursuing surgery
1. i have heard of many complications, its scary to me and i also know that it is not 100% successful, in fact, i have heard more bad then good
2. getting surgery wont teach me how to live a healthy lifestyle. dieting the right way will, even if it takes longer, and is harder to do

you have all the support you need and more here. hope to keep hearing from you!
samcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #10  
Every step is progress.

Thanks Samcakes! I really like your Robert Frost quote. I will have to remember that one, it definitely has a positive message. It reminds me of the Winston Churchill quote "If you find yourself going through heck, keep going" (edited for content, sorry!)

My GP told me from the beginning, since I have to show 6 months attempted weight loss, in general most insurance companies won't grant you surgery unless you show you can lose weight, because you're absolutely right, it doesn't change the reason why we eat, only how much you can immediately eat.

My stepmother had esophageal(sp) surgery a few years ago, it was similar to bypass as she ended up with a thumb-sized stomach. She lost weight up front, but inevitably, she gained it all back and then some.

I've watched my stepmom and dad go through all of the diets over the years, from Atkins, to WeightWatchers, to South Beach, etc. I remember being 15 yrs old and staying with them on vacation. We ended up going out to a restaurant for my birthday because all I wanted was "real food". I've seen my Dad's weight balloon, and my stepmother enables him on a daily basis. It's very important to me that I stick with this. My nephew is 9 years old and weighs 150 lbs. I worry for him as well, so I'm trying to be a good role model

I have a co-worker that had lapband about a year and a half ago. Hes lost about 80 lbs, but I'm aghast at his eating habits. He may eat only a handful at a time, but he ate an entire bag of cheetos the other day at work!

He's the one who encouraged and supported me in December when I started, turns out he ended up being a fairweather friend, as once he found out I'd lost weight without the surgery, I think he was a wee bit resentful. Although I was devastated by the emotional rollercoaster I was on during my relationship with him. I did realize my relationship with him was far from healthy for me. It struck me how easy it is to fall into dependency when you have low self-worth. It scared me a great deal. Now I can concentrate on my goals and raising my self esteem. ( And however juvenile, I get kicks from sashaying by his desk in my new smaller clothes, which for once, make me feel sexy I know its small of me, but it felt really good.

Last edited by RandomPaige; 05-14-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #11  
Sam-I-Am

S/C/G: 324/see ticker/170

Height: 5'8

i hope to see you making a lot of progress, it feels so good doesnt it? i never in a million ears thought i would actually be doing it, but i am, and im not slowing down!
samcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hey... I'm new to this. Found this site by accident and I think I will love it. A little bit about myself.... Married with 2 grown boys. 51 years old. Been overweight all of my married years...28 years. Yo yo diets. Started then lost then quit and gained back what I lost and more. I love food. Emotional eater. I started at 281. High blood pressure medicine and high colostrol medicine. My sugar was borderline high. Started taking diet pills subscribed by my doctor. Lost 38 lbs and had lots of hair loss. Quit taking the diet pills and regained about 20 lbs back. I then heard of a person who had lost 100 lbs on dukan diet. It's high protein and I love meat so thought I'd give it a try. I love this diet. Very happy. The thing that surprised me was the loss of food cravings. I always heard that the more fat carbs sugar you took in the more you wanted. I believe it now. When I started dukan I was 258 lbs now I'm 227.50 and down to 20 pants size from. 26 pants size. It's exciting to have this lost but I am always scared that at any moment I will quit. I seem to have reached a plateau. Hopefully you guys out there will be my support.
Cajunlady165 is offline   Reply With Quote