Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-02-2003, 04:31 PM   #1  

Unhappy diet causing migraines

want to manage headache while losing healthfully to lose 1 lb/week need to cut down 500 cals/day. im only allowed 1300cals/day. I am hungry all the time bad news to my migraine..if i get it, cant function. Any suggestion? so far, this has only been my biggest drawback. Help?
losedbulge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:01 PM   #2  

You are probably eating the wrong foods or you wouldn't be hungry all the time - probably not enough protein/fat. It would be helpful if you could list your food for a day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 11:12 PM   #3  

thanks QuilterinVA, I never though of it that way...I must review the menus, I should be able to track the calories. IS your suggestion on looking into fat/protein has something to do with the headaches, you think? Please tell me more.
losedbulge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 03:21 PM   #4  

I use to have migraines when I didn't eat enough food. I was on imitrex and everything. I was have to give myself injections. Sometimes my head would hurt for days. Guess what, I stopped drinking so much caffiene and I started drinking a mininium of 64 oz of water per day and my headaches went away. I came off of the medication and I haven't been to the emergency room or the doctor for migraines in years. The first thing I alwsy recommend is to decrease caffiene and increase water intake. My goal is to drink a gallon of water a day. Especially since now doctor's are saying that if your trying to lose weight, the first thing you need to do is drink at least half your body weight in water. Its worth a try. You have nothing to lose by doing it. There are a lot of triggers for migraines and you have to figure out what your triggers are. It may be very well be the lack of water.
dirojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 04:13 PM   #5  
I feel the Burn!!

S/C/G: 266/260/165

Height: 5'7"

Default Eat Carbs!

I don't know what type of plan, if any, you are on, but Low carb diets are not healthy for migraine sufferers, and if you do not get enough "hardy" foods, nuts, meat, bread etc. you can cause a migraine. I agree with Dirojohn, cut out your caffeine intake, I'm not allowed to have ANY, and drink at LEAST your minimum eight 8oz glasses of water every day. If you haven't already, I strongly suggest you go to a Dr. and tell him/her about your dieting plans and also that you are getting migraines, my Dr. had some great tips. I've had migraines for over 11 yrs. and know how traumatic these can be in your life, but there are treatment options! (My best secret is to eat triscuits when I'm hungry, they are so filling, and the low fat ones are pretty healthy.) Email me if you want a list of migraine triggers, there are a ton, and a lot of artificial sweetners are on there, I also go to a support site for migraines, they are helpful too! Hope this helps!
Preciouskittenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:45 PM   #6  

I have horrible migraines. I'm taking Mexalt.

and when I don't eat enough I can get migraines, too , that last for days.
okidoll is offline   Reply With Quote