General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #1  
Y U NO EAT RITE?

S/C/G: HW: 250

Height: 5 foot 7 and a heifff

Arrow Restarting Intermittent Fasting: A few questions?

I have just recently started IF again to help me get back on track with my eating habits and choices.

I know there are a few threads on here about IF and how it works, but I have a few specific questions to ask:
  • Will adding creamer in my morning coffee break the fast? I normally don't drink more than 30-50 calories of it in my coffee.
  • Can I have drinks with artificial sweetener in them (example- Coke Zero, tea with Splenda) during my fast or will it break the fast?
  • Should I be working out to see results from IF? I have recently hurt my knees from exercising and want to lay low for a while and just lower my calorie count.....is this good enough?
  • I've read online that the best diet to pair with IF is a low-carb diet. Is this true or will any type of healthy diet work with it?
  • What is the body's main fuel source during fasting? Is it depleting my protein at all?

I apologize if any of these questions have been answered already.

Last edited by Persicae; 10-20-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Persicae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #2  
Y U NO EAT RITE?

Oh! And another question:

Are headaches from fasting normal?
Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #3  

• Will adding creamer in my morning coffee break the fast? I normally don't drink more than 30-50 calories of it in my coffee. Nope! I sometimes add 2% milk to my first coffee of the day. No more than that though - switch to black or water or tea.
  • Can I have drinks with artificial sweetener in them (example- Coke Zero, tea with Splenda) during my fast or will it break the fast? Yes you can, but IMO they're garbage and you should try club soda/seltzer water with a lemon or lime.
  • Should I be working out to see results from IF? I have recently hurt my knees from exercising and want to lay low for a while and just lower my calorie count.....is this good enough? Yes it's good enough. Exercise is always great for cardiovascular health and fitness but it's all about calories when it comes to weight loss. You could do some upper body strength movements while sitting down still.
  • I've read online that the best diet to pair with IF is a low-carb diet. Is this true or will any type of healthy diet work with it? Any type of healthy diet will work. Calories in, calories out. Period.
  • What is the body's main fuel source during fasting? Is it depleting my protein at all? Perhaps some, but your body's #1 source of fuel when it isn't coming from food is fat stores. If you're worried (and doing enough strength exercises for it to matter), increase your intake of protein during your eating window.
deucesarewild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/158/150

Height: 5'7

I'm not sure if headaches are normal. I don't get them. I do get lightheaded at times, but I suspect that's more to do with my low blood pressure than the fasting.
slytherinanachronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #5  
Y U NO EAT RITE?

deucesarewild1- Thank you so much for you information! It was very helpful.
And your seltzer water suggestion....I will have to try that!

slytherinanachronism- I love your screenname.

And as for my headaches:
Towards the end of my fast, I do get a little lightheaded. When I am closing out my eating window of about 8-9 hours (right now since I am a beginner), that is when I get the headaches. It may or may not be related to the fasting; but I just noticed it when I started doing IF.

My fast window is from 8ish PM- 12ish PM (about 16 hours) and my eating window is currently between 12ish PM- 8ish PM (about 8 hours). I am hoping in the future I can make that window smaller.

Last edited by Persicae; 10-20-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #6  
Y U NO EAT RITE?

Anyone have any ideas about the lightheadedness and the headaches?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #7  

Have you considered reducing the fasting window to even 12 hours and seeing if the headaches go away? It sounds like you are going for the more one meal a day plan versus the eat stop eat model?

I am still staying under 12 hours when I do it.

Are you moving to fasting/eating windows on the daily basis or are you occasionally doing the IF? Like weekly or twice a week?

I don't go as long. I may get light-headed but not the headache (I should say I get headaches but I can't relate them to a fast necessarily). My light-headed response has overall gotten better as my health has improved.

Also, I drink a lot of water. Could just be dehydration.
HikingChloe is offline   Reply With Quote