Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/Ticker/133

Default Rest Days and More?

Hey all,

I have now started a jogging regime and completed two days of it. I walk/jog one day, rest the next, and then repeat the process. I don't like not being active on my rest days...and I am not sure about starting weight training, because I have no clue where to begin. Part of me wants to jog at least 4 days a week, although I wasn't sure if that would be a good thing or not.
I do have access to two five pound dumbbells...

What do you do on your 'rest' days?
Amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 117/88/77 (Kgs)

Height: 5'8''

I'm no expert, but I think rest days are for when you're doing strength training, your muscles need to recover. I think you can run/walk every day though if you're up to it. Alternatively since you don't like being idle, try some strength training moves on the days you dont run. Start with staples like bicep curls, sit=ups or crunches, push ups, lunges and squats (you can learn good form from watching youtube videos) or you could by a strength training dvd. But If you don't want to begin strength tr. yet, try other forms of cardio dancing (on your own or with a dancing workout dvd or class) or you could use other cardio machines or buy a cardio dvd like JM Banish fat bost metabolism (sorry i'm big on dvds!) but you don't have to be bored/idle. Personally I don't like cardio so I do only strength training 3x/wk and BFBM once so i need rest days in btw my strength training worrkouts! Good luck with all your efforts and congrats on your weight loss so far!
fight2winthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #3  

When you start running you should run every other day. Have you looked into the Couch to 5k? I think at first they recommend only 3 days/weeks to start. This helps prevent overuse injury. On you off days you can do whatever pleases you. Walk, hike, a DVD... But I highly recommend weight or body weight training. Google Body Weight Home Workouts and you will get a LOT of hits for great workouts... Also building muscles will help with your running...
3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/166/135

Height: 5'5"

I run M-F everyday and do strength training every other day...yoga day is Saturday and I rest on Sunday...
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Like ilene said, you really shouldn't run every day. Running is really hard on your joints and they need recovery time. Your instinct to take a day off in between running days is a good one.

Walking can be done every day though . However, it still a good idea to switch things up so you aren't sticking to one activity. Muscle confusion and diversifying exercise is what helps keep the heart and muscles strong and not get too "comfortable" in one routine.

Yoga, elliptical, biking, and swimming are great non-running day activities.

Lifting is super important for a lot of reasons so definitely consider starting to incorporate that into your routine
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 219/Ticker/133

Thank you, All! I will definitely look into weight training now. I don't want to over do it on the jogging.
Amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote