Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #1  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Default Oh! My aching knee!

My knee is aching - nothing crazy - just achy. I know it is because I have ramped up my running. So, I am taking today off. (Yesterday was my scheduled day off, so I didn't do anything yesterday, either.)

Do I just rest until it doesn't hurt anymore? Do I ice it? I was reading about stretches... so I am going to do that. I don't want to rest too long - I have a Triathlon coming up in 7 weeks and a half marathon in 8 weeks... BUT I also don't want to injure myself!

I also know that losing weight will help my knee, too! I have been exercising for YEARS and have NEVER had problems.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: Size 22/Size 14/Size 10

Height: 5'8

I feel the same exact way! Whenever I jog and such. I guess all I can say is if it hurts too bad to rest? Hope it feels better!
ZebraBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Yeah.. I rested and iced my knee and it is mostly all better. It was pointed out to me that I tried to run too much, too fast, too often. ~sigh~ Why can't my body keep up with me?!?!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #4  
Ninja Extraordinaire

S/C/G: 204/204/126

Height: 5'2"

I am no doctor or anything, but from my experience, I would recommend resting for a day then going on a light walk on the next day. If it doesn't hurt, I would take a more brisk walk the following day and until the aching subsides so that you are getting out, working the muscles, and not injuring yourself further.
eliz204to126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #5  
Wishful shrinking

S/C/G: 266/235/160

I hurt my knee almost 2 weeks ago (the inner side). it hurt so bad, I could barely put weight on it. I iced it every night and my husband mssaged it for a few days with icy hot and thankfully, it is almost 100% again. But now I am afraid to hurt it again. I hurt it by trying to start running too soon. I just wasn't ready yet and boy did my knee remind me of that!
barbaramatafeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:15 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCraver View Post
My knee is aching - nothing crazy - just achy. I know it is because I have ramped up my running. So, I am taking today off. (Yesterday was my scheduled day off, so I didn't do anything yesterday, either.)

Do I just rest until it doesn't hurt anymore? Do I ice it? I was reading about stretches... so I am going to do that. I don't want to rest too long - I have a Triathlon coming up in 7 weeks and a half marathon in 8 weeks... BUT I also don't want to injure myself!

I also know that losing weight will help my knee, too! I have been exercising for YEARS and have NEVER had problems.
You sound like a very experienced runner and probably have proper form and everything, but I just wanted to throw the idea out there that you try, when your knee gets sore, to wear a knee brace. Of course putting ice on it and resting helps but in my experience it only helps for a few days and then the same pain comes back. I get pain in my knee and ankle (both on my right side, jeez!) from various different things (running, biking, etc.) and I find that wearing a brace stabilizes the joint a bit more so it stays better aligned. I don't make a habit of this because I don't want to end up relying on it but it seems to help me and alleviates some of the inflammation/swelling (I have mild tendinitis in my knee). It probably doesn't help that my joints and the muscles around them were quite weak when I started working out, which could mean that I wasn't working them out in proper form... so you might not have this same issue.

Good luck in the triathlon and half marathon!
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote