WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 03-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #1  
foodie on a diet!

S/C/G: 180.2/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Light Beer

I LOVE beer! Especially an ice cold one on hot nights out with friends! The other day I was checking on my calorie counter go-to site, Livestrong.com, the nutritional info on a corona light. When I entered the info on WW calculators, it came out as 1pt.

Could this be accurate? 1pt for a 12oz bottle of light beer?
uncontentgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

Let me know! If it is, I might just rejoin WW ! ! ! ; )
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #3  
calorie counting works!

S/C/G: 171/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I just looked at the complete nutritional info for Corona Light on Livestrong. It included 5 grams of carbs and 1.1 grams of protein. Multiplying those grams times 4 gives you 24.4 calories, but the total number of calories listed is 101. I don't think it's actually a complete and accurate nutritional label, so that might be why your calculator is only calling it 1 point. WW has a page that lists most light beers (other than that 64 calorie one) as 3 points plus: http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/a...=51811&sc=3030 I'd use that figure instead.
reji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

It different because alcohol is 7 calories per gram. (Fat=9, carb=4, protein=4)
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #5  
calorie counting works!

S/C/G: 171/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

But that wasn't listed in the nutritional label, which is why I thought the calculator might give the wrong figure.
reji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #6  

You can't use the pointsplus calculator to calculate alcohol and things with sugar alcohol.

You have to use the info in the companions or the website.

I can type in the exact wording from ww if you want, let me know.
angelskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #7  
~*Regina*~

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/150

I LOVE my beer to and I thought the light beer was 1 pt too when i calculated it on my own, haha.
If you type in say Bud Light, it comes up as 4pp but if you just type in light beer it comes up as 3pp which doesn't make sense. So when I do reach for a beer I get MGD 64 now, it's only 2pp . It's not the best beer but it is satisfying.
BlueEyes83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #8  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I like Coors Light and Bud Select.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 315/212/185

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelskiss View Post
You can't use the pointsplus calculator to calculate alcohol and things with sugar alcohol.

You have to use the info in the companions or the website.

I can type in the exact wording from ww if you want, let me know.
Please do. It is terribly hard for me to believe that a shot of alcohol has more points then a ww 3pt bar. I honestly feel like it's maybe a bit construed based on the idea that ww feels it would be morally irresponsible to have alcohol so low in pts. I mean a shot is 4 pts but I can drink a 2 liter of diet coke for 0 pts :/ hmmm.
doinit200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by doinit200 View Post
Please do. It is terribly hard for me to believe that a shot of alcohol has more points then a ww 3pt bar. I honestly feel like it's maybe a bit construed based on the idea that ww feels it would be morally irresponsible to have alcohol so low in pts. I mean a shot is 4 pts but I can drink a 2 liter of diet coke for 0 pts :/ hmmm.
Diet coke doesn't have sugar. I 2 liter of regular coke is a LOT of pointsplus values. A can is 4 pointsplus values.

On other information from weight watchers it says this...
The amount of alcohol (in grams) is usually not listed on beer bottles or cans. However, we know that typically a 12oz beer, a 5 oz glass of wine or 1.5 oz of liquor each contain about 14 grams of alcohol. (light beer has about 10 or 11 grams). Since grams of alcohol and grams of fat are closest in terms of calories per gram, this information (grams of alcohol) should be entered as fat in the calculator.

On page 38 of the getting started book it says...
We include sugar alcohol in our pointsplus values calculations, too - this is an added ingredient sometimes found in packaged, sugar free foods. It does make a difference, but it's not typically included in food labels (we get the information directly from food manufacturers). Because you won't see it - or amounts of added alcohol on food labels, the values you get for those foods when you use a pointsplus calculator will be different than the values you'll see in lists in the companion books. For the most accurate values for sugar free foods and foods containing alcohol, use the lists.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #11  

Oh and as for the WW ice cream bar there are a lot of chemicals in those things so that the points values are less. It's like the diet sodas, full of chemicals. You can replace a lot of fat or sugar with things that are man made and unhealthy just to make food sound healthier.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 168 / 168 / 130

Height: 5.6

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by doinit200 View Post
I have to agree somewhat with DoinIt200. I do too think WW is a bit biased on the alcohol issue. They make me feel like it's not right to have my wine every night with dinner because they have jacked it up to 4pp for a tiny glass. I have found that with my body I am still able to lose even if I go over because of wine. It is different for me if I have an 8 point desert of some kind, I see weight go up vs having 8 points of alcohol, I don't see much of a change.

Last edited by SweetyKins; 04-29-2011 at 11:55 AM.
SweetyKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #13  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Alcohol cannot be calculated on the calculator. It's as simple as that. You allow points in your dailies and weeklies, you can have it. I'm not knocking anything, points plus works.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #14  

Beer is my downfall of dieting. I think that is the reason I haven't lost any weight even though I exercise about 2 hours a day. I wish there was a one point beer. I drink the 5 point ones. A few of those and your flex points are toast.
RealtorOnABike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #15  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

How much beer are you drinking? I haven't given up beer or wine, but I have eased up on my consumption. I limit it to weekends, and I have a glass of water between alcoholic drinks. It helps slow things down, so instead of having four beers, I only have two.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote