Old 09-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/219.6/145

Height: 5' 4

Default So frustrated....

with myself!!! I need to get it together. I keep saying I am going to become vegan and I then decide to ease into it, then it oh well one piece of cheese won't hurt, then I am back to my old vegitarian self. Did any of you have a hard time making the switch? I know what I am doing is not good for animals, I know that those happy california cows do not exist but I just can't stop myself. Maybe I should go cold turkey? Uggghh, sorry end of rant.
KmbRN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/ 129 /120

Height: 5'7"

I've been vegan for 3 years now. Was veg for 6 months before but took my time making the switch...that helped in the long run. You don't jump into marathon running with not having walked anywhere in 3 years...same goes here. No jumping in without testing the water for piranhas! :P

You also have to look at your motives. Are you really doing it for the animals, or just to cut out some food groups from your diet? Find yourself a solid reason, not only motivation, to become vegan. It has to make sense to your lifestyle & personality in order for it to work.

Also have to make sure you're still eating balanced. If you're not getting your vitamins/minerals/nutrients, you're not going to want to stay on the vegan path. If you're just eating salad & tofu, I feel for you & your VERY tough choice.

Just remember, being vegan isn't about cutting anything out of your diet...just substituting. It doesn't have to be boring or depriving!

Feel free to pm me & ask anything you like, or continue on this thread.
hippy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/126/115

Height: 5'1"

Hey there. As a vegetarian who has often thinks about going vegan (to avoid factory farmed dairy/eggs and the environmental/cruelty issues that I see go with them), I feel your pain!

Personally, I think one reason I haven't succeeded is that I still don't cook so getting wholesome vegan meals that won't kill my weight loss goals has been tough. And since I don't want to be restricted to just salads.....I go to old vegetarian staples.

I admire your drive though and wanted to wish you luck!
DexterMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #4  

I am not vegetarian or vegan but am easing into it. For some a slow process works. I started out one vegetarian meal a day and one whole day week. That turned out to be very easy for me and I am actually only eating meat about 3 times a week. My plan is to eventually ease vegan meals in as well. I doubt I will ever be 100% vegan because I love cheese and dairy too much. But I am cutting way back on my animal product consumption and for me right now that is enough.
hlaoroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #5  

Thank you all for your support. My reason for wanting to go vegan are the same that drove me to becoming a vegetarian. I feel that the meat industry in this country is horrible. Through other message boards I have become aware of the horrors of daries and egg farms. I have started to buy eggs from a local audobon center where you can see that the chickens are treated well, however I know that the male chicks are killed and that bothers me.
I drink next to no milk, but cheese and eggs are my weakness.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

Have you tried experimenting with vegan cheese and egg substitutes for your favorite dishes?
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #7  

I have not tried vegan cheese as I have heard most are rather disappointing. I have the egg replacers, ener G I think it is. Is there an egg subsitute that you can make scrambled egg or a fritata with?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Cheese used to be a weakness of mine as well but honestly, I don't miss it at all. Also, for the various ways that you use cheese, there are possible substitutes. The "uncheese" cookbook has many of these but if you said "hey I miss cheese in enchiladas", then I could point you to a fabulous enchilada recipe where you wouldn't miss the cheese or what not. Also, nut cheeses are fabulous and you can make them at home since they are $$$ to buy.

Here is an example of a cashew goat cheese recipe:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10952

As far as scrambles, frittatas, look at tofu scrambles, they are wonderful.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #9  
it's always something

I rarely eat cheese or other dairy so I don't really miss it if it's not there. But if I do want cheese, then I have to have real cheese. I've tried a lot of cheese substitutes and one bite was more than enough. The only exception has been Soy Feta from Sunergia. I use it in recipes or salads and really like it.

That said, when I want cheese I eat cheese. I'm lucky to have a local store that sells cheese from small family owned ethically run dairy farms. It's usually expensive but that keeps me from overeating I buy cheese about every other month.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:26 PM   #10  
chubby punk

S/C/G: tick..tick...boom

Height: 5'5"

I have been vegetarian for ten years and I used to consider veganism - especially when my vegan friends kinda sneered at me for *only* being vego, like if I really cared about animals I would be vegan.
I cook mainly vegan meals, I tend to browse vegan recipes before vegetarian recipes since they seem to rely so heavily on dairy for substance. Vegan is a lable that I just dont feel comfortable adopting. If I went vegan and failed, I would feel like I had done a disservice to the vegan movement. So I eat mainly vegan foods and I dont beat myself up if I occasionally have cheese on my burger. I am happy knowing that I do the most I am prepared to do at this stage of my life, I know I am making more of a difference than a lot of people so I dont have to feel horribly guilty. You dont have to be vegan to eat vegan food!
LaurenBelle is offline   Reply With Quote