Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 306/240/140

Height: 5'5

Default I quit smoking and the pounds are a-creeping...HALP!

Hi guys!

I managed to quit smoking for three years until some recent stresses made me reach for the demon sticks again for the past four months. I quit cold turkey about 4 days ago--and was not pleased to see a 5-pound weight gain on the scale. As I've lost 50 pounds in the past 9 months from doing Wii Fit and walking an average of 10000 steps or/30 minutes a day (and still 100+ from goal) this is not welcome news.

None of my eating/workout habits have changed that much so I'm freaking out right now (especially since I put on an ungodly amount of weight the last time I quit). Any advice from those who have quit while dieting is definitely welcome right now.
Kaonashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #2  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Awesome job putting down the cancer sticks...they'll kill you faster than food usually. I quit smoking about the same time I started my "diet" and managed to lose it all...BUT I concentrated on calories and my food intake. What does your food plan look like? How many calories are you eating? If you haven't changed your eating AT all, you shouldn't be gaining... PMS/TOM possibly?
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:30 AM   #3  

Well, there WAS some junkfood that got in there last week! I'm guessing generally I'm eating between 12-1400 calories a day, plus I walk anywhere from a half hour to 3 hours a day.

I'm going to try to be more cautious about what goes into my mouth. Instead of a "diet" I just changed my eating habits and started moving more. Lots of fresh veggies, fish and more healthy things/smaller portions (ie: getting a falafel sandwich over a Big Mac, getting the 25 cent bag of chips instead of the 3 dollar one), that sort of thing.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

I am quitting in the next few days.....with an electronic cigarette that is coming via priority mail. The site I got it from was "vapor4life" and it came highly recommended and my sister checked it out and said it's supposed to be one of the best ones available.

But my point is......you could get one of those....and still be able to have one here and there. In fact, they have about 50 flavors....probably even more...you name it, they have it. And the gal who recommended it to me said it helps her dieting too because she orders the dessert flavors and feels like it's a dessert-type treat for her to have a bit of a smoke.

But it's not smoke....it's just flavored water vapor.....Totally safe for you and everyone around you. It cost me about 87 bucks for a starter pack and some extra cigs (called cartomers).......and let's face it.....it will pay for itself a million times over, considering what a pack of cigarettes cost these days.....not to mention the health issue.

So give this a thought. To me, it sounds like the next best thing. Google the site and take a look. It's a bit complex to figure out exactly what to order....but I finally figured it out more or less....so can help anyone who is interested. What do you have to lose, really? Less than 100 bucks? Well worth it IMO.

The gal here who recommended it to me said that not only did she quit smoking with the help of this....but now has 25 friends who also quit smoking while using this. And she said it was SO much easier with this. Plus......you can still smoke this once in a while, like I said. If you get stressed. No harm done....you're totally safe.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #5  

Ooh, that vapor4life sounds nice! ^_^

I'm about a week and a half in and feeling better. It also seems like my body has made some sort of weird adjustment and I'm back to 258 again. I'm just going to try to do a little "more" to account for the loss of that metabolism boost you get from smoking, and hopefully it will be enough.

Thanks, guys!
Old 08-31-2010, 10:48 AM   #6  
Super Single Mom

S/C/G: HW/SW 275/ CW 266.2 /GW 160

Height: 5'7"

I quit smoking a number of years ago and replaced the cigs with exercise. I never gained any weight due to not smoking. I gained the weight I did because I ate way too much junk. LOL

I wish you the best of luck. I re-quit again cold turkey 2 years ago and haven't looked back since. You can do it!
Vixsin is offline   Reply With Quote