Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #1  
active kids, active mom

Default I think I might be an athlete

I am really discovering that I LOVE exercise! I went on an over 30 mile bike ride yesterday (after building up to it for a few weeks) and I LOVED it. I felt so great all day afterwards and into today. I find I feel this way whenever I really push myself. I also find that if I take a day completely off of exercising, I feel like a schlump. So, on rest days, I take a leisurely ride or more of a leisurely walk.

This is all enlightening to me for a few reasons: First, I never did any organized sports as a child, nor was exercise outside of sports supported in our family. This led me to believe that I did not enjoy exercise. But I do.

Secondly, I find it incredible that the fitness industry does not cater to people of size (and maybe that is changing??). Shouldn't we be their #1 target group? SHouldn't I have found my very expensive biking shorts at any of my local shops instead of having to go online for them? Shouldn't magazines show larger people exercising and having fun? Shouldn't there be more out there encouraging us? Just because I am large, does not mean I am not an athlete. AND, I need to be an athlete in order to lose this weight.

I realize I am rambling here. I would love to hear of other large athletes out there and also hear some opinions on the fitness industry's lack of attention towards us.
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #2  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I liked reading this

I always thought of myself as a person who could not do much because I never had. Now I'm weight lifting and I feel so amazing and strong! I didn't know I was this person either
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #3  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

This is a great post! You know, I didn't start exercising in earnest until I was about 10 lbs away from my goal weight. Frankly, it was a last ditch attempt to make goal after being stalled out for several weeks. I had tried earlier in my weight loss journey, but was too embarassed to get out there. So I would hide away in my house half-heartedly trying at-home exercises, and I generally became bored and discouraged by what I percieved as lack of progress. Stupid on my part. It would have helped me so much if I had just taken smaller steps and kept on moving.

Your enthusiasm is contagious and how awesome to have found out something new about yourself! I, too, wish the fitness community would cater more towards beginners of all types - regardless of size, shape, or fitness level. It IS intimidating to get started, but once you do, the feeling of empowerment takes over any embarassment or shyness about one's own abilities.

Bravo! Let's all keep on moving and improving our health!!

Cheryl

Oh, and by the way, I love your signature "motto". I hope that it describes me & my family, too!!

Last edited by cherylmn; 08-17-2010 at 10:08 AM.
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote