Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #1  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

Default running after an injury

The last time I ran was a little over a month ago and I hurt my ankle while running. I'm finally able to walk with no pain but haven't run yet. I'm going to give that a shot tomorrow to see how it goes. Before injury I was running about 4 miles and now I don't know where to start. I'm thinking about trying to run a mile around the track and gradually increase from there. Any advice for me?
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Walk for a good solid 10 minutes to warm up. If you did damage to tendons and muscles then they will be more stiff than before.

I would for the first time out instead of trying to run a continuous mile, jog for a minute or two, then walk then jog etc. Evaluate how it feels after. If that goes ok, then the second session you can try longer bouts of continuous running. I would continue with a walking warmup until you are completely healed.

Depending on the type of injury, it isnt necessary for the aftermath to be completely pain free. Sometimes if you wait for that it will never happen. If you have muscles that havent been used in a month and scar tissue that gets broken up when you run, small amounts of achiness may be part of the healing process. It is a delicate balance to learn what feels like pain that harms and what is just "regrowing" pains.

In general:

If you are very warmed up before you start and you have sharp or severe pain while running stop.

If you are poorly warmed up and get pain stop, warm up well and try again.

If you are warmed up well and you get a burny achy pain or minor twingy pain it is usually ok to continue as long as it doesnt increase. Usually if you get this kind of pain following the exercise with icing is beneficial.

If there is no pain while running but you get achiness later that is usually ok, again ice may help. If you wake up the next morning with dramatically increased pain then it is time to rest and rehab a while longer.

Do NOT take any kind of pain killer or anti-inflammatory prior to running. You need to make sure you know what your body feels.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #3  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for all the great advice! I used it yesterday and it felt great. I wore my ankle brace and walked to warm up then ran for 3/4 of a mile straight. If I realized it was that far I would have walked some in there too, I thought it was more like 1/2 mile. My ankle was a little sore last night but feels much better this morning. I'm already looking forward to tomorrow so that I can get back out there and try again! I couldn't believe how much more difficult it was though..I felt like I was going to die because my breathing was just horrible.

Thanks again!!
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote