Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #1  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

Default Perhaps a little over ambitious....

Hey everyone, I need some advice!!

I signed up to a 10K run a few months ago and it is on Sunday 16th May.
That is less than three weeks away.

Problem is, that I haven't stuck to my training programme AT ALL and now obviously I don't have enough time to train for a 10K. My current fitness levels allow me to run for about 20 minutes on the treadmill (10k/hr) before needing a few mins break on a walk-pace (6k/hr), before then being able to go back to running (but then usually after 5-10 mins I am in need of a walk break again).

I am determined to complete this 10K on 16th May. I realise it's unlikely that I will be able to run/jog the whole way because I'm not well-prepared, but any advice on how best to prepare myself at this late stage would be fantastic.

I also haven't ran outside in my training at all and know this is something I should do before 16th May, but I can never seem to set my pace right or last longer than 2 minutes!

I really don't want to let myself be defeated by this as I know that I will probably wake up on the 16th and decide not to turn up if I don't do something to spur myself on in the next 19 days.

Any help/advice very much appreciated!!!
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:12 AM   #2  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

My recommendation is slow your running way down and monitor your heart rate. I don't know how old you are, but shoot for 220 - your age and then multiply by .60. That should be about the heart rate you want to be able to last longer. You should notice an immediate difference in your endurance. Run at an easy pace where you are able to talk while running.

Alternate running and walking and you can probably finish is less than 2 hours.

Be very careful about increasing your mileage too fast. Running injuries happen most often to beginners doing too much too soon. It is not worth months of pain and rehabilitation for one race. You shouldn't increase your mileage more than 10% a week.

I'm serious about going slow and only do what you can handlie. Injuring yourself to finish a race is not worth it. Please, please be careful.

Last edited by motivated chickie; 04-27-2010 at 06:17 AM.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Adopt a run walk plan now. Run for much less than the amount of time you max out, then walk , then run.

And get outside. The problem outside is not the outside, but that you are going too fast outside. You need to practice pacing yourself. Never go beyond where you can talk comfortably. (There are times in training to do that, but not now. Right now your goal is to practice pacing)

As for training, some days practice the run/walk but some days instead of trying to run at 10k/hr (which is FAST for a new runner), slow it down to maybe 8.5 or 9k/hr and go longer.

Just for a frame of reference here, I am a pretty danged experienced runner who right now would run a 10K in about 50 minutes and I rarely have my steady state pace on the treadmill above 10kph, it is usually between 9.3 and 10. Dont leave your race on the treadmill.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: (HW=174)154/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I had this same problem when I ran my first 5K. Figuring out how to pace yourself is hard, but necessary. You can think about it as a metaphor for your life if you want to.\

I second what ennay says - slow it down, and make sure you could talk while running. It's a reasonable barometer that you are going the right speed.

You can finish the race just fine with a run-walk method, and you won't be the only one. To keep running in your life, it's important to train intelligently and not increase miles or speed faster than your body can handle it.
RunnerChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #5  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

Thanks for the replies guys. I know you're right and I will have to be sensible about it. I'm 23.

My mum is a keen runner and does 6-7 miles on the treadmill at a time no bother and has run a few half marathons. My dad ran marathons a few times and usually did 12-milers on a weekly basis... so I guess I think that 10km shouldn't be a big deal for me.

But I must be realistic about what I'm capable of and not push myself too much. I will definitely have a few practice runs outside, slowing my pace.

My thinking was that if I run as fast as possible the 10km will pass quicker, haha. Slow and steady wins the race and all that...
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote