Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-18-2010, 06:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/150/120

Height: 5ft 4in

Question I want to get into running- any helpful ideas??

Hi,
In the last six months I have reguarly attended the gym at least 3x a week minimum. All low impact.

I do 30 mins cross-trainer at a moderate level, about 15 mins of weights(I focus mainly on my upper half and abs)

And I do about 15-20 mins either on the rowing machine or excercise bike. Sometimes I swim about 1x a week (depends on time).

My heart rate is approx 190+ on average whilst working out (according to the machine)

In the last 3months I've changed my eating habits-going from 1500 calories per day to 1200 calories. Thats going well and I've had no problems with that. (Except 1 binge but I forgive myself) In fact I feel better for it.

Also I have started taking my dog for longer walks (last month) approx 5miles every other day (when not at gym) and about 2miles any other day. And I have Saturdays off as my little boy takes her.

So I feel I have about an average fitness level.

But everytime I try to run, I get really bad aches in my shins and ankles and I get so out of breath. that I have to stop. I would really love to get out and start running but with these aches and breathlessness...

Also I went to a prof. running shop and had them test me and get me 'proper' running shoes that I need. But they have only made a slight improvement.

Any ideas in how I can get running instead of walking??
HotMamma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 216/212.6/160

Height: 5'6"

I have a running goal myself and I can't seem to get there due to me not breathing properly. I used to be able to run a few years ago and this is how I did it. I would walk on the treadmill everyday and each day I would increase the speed, like walk at 3.4 then 3.5 and so on. I eventually go to where I could run 1 mile! It was a huge accomplishment for me, but now I'm out of shape again and back to square one.
KyAngel1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #3  

Thats a really good idea! Like do it slowly and perhaps in intervals. How long did it take you till you could run the mile??
Old 03-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #4  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

Look up the Couch to 5K program (sometimes referred to as "C25K") - there's a bunch of threads on here about it, or you can find details at coolrunning.com. I seriously can not say enough good things about it - it's a program of progressive intervals that helps you be able to run a 5K in about 9 weeks. I never thought I'd be able to run until I started doing this program

Also - when you get started running, it's okay to be slow I know a lot of people get burned out by trying to do too much too quickly. Take it slow at first - you'll be able to build up your speed later.
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 216/212.6/160

Height: 5'6"

Honestly its been so long I don't remember. I do know that is exactly how I did it though and I'm trying this method again myself. I also and working on walking at inclines on the treadmill, there is a great program on it that has me walking at 6% grade and then 8% grade at 3.3. I think walking up inclines will also make your legs stronger for running. Now the breathing thing, I have to work on that some more.
KyAngel1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #6  
Beautylicious

S/C/G: 148/144/135

Height: 5'6

C25K program is awesome. And smisen is definitely right. I think a common mistake when people start out running, is running too fast. It's so easy to get winded and burnt out when you're starting. It's a full body workout, and running outside is totally different from running on a treadmill (you have to work to cover distance, the road doesn't just keep rolling to meet your feet). And even walking really fast is very different from running, because with running, your whole body is off the ground. It's much more high impact. (walking fast is awesome, and a workout in itself - just different from running.)

Just go nice and slowly - much slower than you think you should - and take walking breaks when it seems overwhelming. The awesome thing about running is that it gets so much easier the more you do it. And just adding a little distance at a time, or another minute one day, and two minutes the next week...it all adds up and soon you'll find you're going on longer runs.
CharlieBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #7  

Thanks for that! I'll check out those sites now.

I'm not really surprised I've struggled then! Seeing as everything I've done previously has been low impact. And yeah, you guys are right, I just ran and expected to be able to do it!!

Can't wait to reach this goal. Has been a 'dream' of mine for the past year! I've been so envious when I've seen people out and about running their little socks off!

To be honest, previously I thought I was too fat, until I saw much larger people 'going like the clappers' at the gym.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #8  

I'm brand new to running myself and I have found the shin sleeves to help a bit. I have new running shoes that I also got fitted for at the running store. I am on week 6 (minus 3 in the middle off for pneumonia) and the best thing I found for me is to run on an incline of at least .5-1 and start slow. I was thinking I wasn't doing so good until I talked to my friend who is a personal trainer and she said I'm on the right track.

Right now I'm still running 1 minute then walking for 3 so I get 5 or 6 of those intervals in within 30-45 min I walk anywhere between 3-3.5 and run 4.5-4.7. I'm going to keep going but I'm struggling! I have to because hubby and I just signed up for the Reggae Marathon in Jamaica this Dec. (I'll run/walk the 1/2 marathon).

Best to you and hopefully we can keep each other motivated to keep going!

Angie
angienewton is offline   Reply With Quote