Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #1  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Height: 5'3

Default Need mindless exercise---CHEAP!

Hello, people! I have been trying to add soem exercise into my program... kind of get myself on the right track, and while I LOVE to do leglifts, crunches and whatnot(thats sarcasm!) generally there is counting involved.

I watch a DVR'ed show daily that runs about 30 minutes. I thought: Here's a chance to get in 30 minutes of mindless exercise. I don't have any equipment. If I buy something it will have to be SMALL and able to be tucked away.

Anyone have any ideas?
parkedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #2  
Beautylicious

S/C/G: 148/144/135

Height: 5'6

Maybe build your own step? I haven't actually been to a step class in years, but I do remember getting a great workout when I went. If you don't want to buy one, you could grab a couple pieces of lumber (I'm thinking a wide board a few feet long, and a couple of bigger blocks) and nail 'em together for a decent, stable step. If you paint it a pretty colour it could double as a little coffee table or something.
CharlieBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #3  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

since we relocated our treadmill away from the TV, sometimes i'll jog in place while i watch stuff on the tivo. it sounds (and occasionally feels) stupid, but it gets my heartrate up into a moderate cardio zone and costs nothing.
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #4  
Canadian on the Inside

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBaby View Post
Maybe build your own step? I haven't actually been to a step class in years, but I do remember getting a great workout when I went.
Definitely! I have the Wii Fit Plus, which allows you to do mindless step while watching TV, and even though it's a short step (just a few inches), you can get a real workout by the end of a show. My rule is that I step 10 min. for every 30 min. of TV I watch.
Paja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Any tall buildings in your neighborhood? Really anything with stairs will do. Put in some headphones and head up and down and up and down and up and down... that may be a bit too mindless actually. But cheap!

When I lived in an 11-story apartment tower (on the 9th floor) I used to take the stairs every once in a while just to check my fitness. And when there were fire alarms, I was one of the rare people who had actually been in the stairs before. I have also used stairs in a university stadium; a lot of sports teams do "stairs" for training.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:50 AM   #6  
Let go laughing

S/C/G: 265/254/150

Height: 5'10"

Have you ever done a WATP dvd? I just use those same steps and do them while watching tv...you know, I'll walk in place for a bit, switch to side steps or kicks or knee lifts or something when I feel like it. It's not crazy intense cardio but if I'm going to be watching the show anyway, it's better than just sitting on the couch!
s rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #7  
Sarah

Squats, lunges, running in place, jumprope and even fidgeting! are good low cost alternatives!
buzybee188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #8  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

Walking is the easiest and cheapest exercise I can think of. Sometimes I try to make it a little more aerobic by dashing (carefully) across a street when the light is green. Also, walking with purpose like you are running late will speed up your walk. I do my best thinking when walking, so sometimes when I am upset or excited I take a walk to clear my head.

I also like to dance in my living room or in clubs. I don't have any coordination so I find it a challenge to try to dance like I don't have some sort of neurologic condition. Sometimes I try to combine housework with dancing so that I get my apartment clean.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #9  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

I agree with the step thing, that would be reallllly good exercise for cheap! And they can fit like anywhere. You can get one from Walmart for like 30 bucks, or build one yourself.

Another thought is a mini-trampoline, which can sit against the wall or something and doesn't take up much space. Jumping is loads of fun, and I bet you could find one on Craigslist for really cheap.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #10  
Counting away!

Thanks all!!

I spoke to my SIL and she has a step I can try for a week or so, see if I like it! Also, I like the trampoline idea too.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #11  
Beautylicious

S/C/G: 148/144/135

Height: 5'6

parked - just thought of this - I know you mentioned body-weight exercises like squats and lunges but you don't want to count. You might want to try incorporating those during the commercials. First commercial, do squats. Second commercial, do lunges. Third commercials, fit in a few crunches. Then you don't have to count them, just do them as long as the commercial is on. Just a thought
CharlieBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #12  
Counting away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBaby View Post
parked - just thought of this - I know you mentioned body-weight exercises like squats and lunges but you don't want to count. You might want to try incorporating those during the commercials. First commercial, do squats. Second commercial, do lunges. Third commercials, fit in a few crunches. Then you don't have to count them, just do them as long as the commercial is on. Just a thought

Thanks! I can do that...