Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #1  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

Default scared to run my first 5k

I've got a 5k that I signed up for a month or so ago. I've graduated from C25K and lost my running buddy due to an unexpected pregnancy. Now I'm terrified and really dreading running my first race all by myself! Oh and I just realized it's a trail run..

Any advice from other runners on how to prepare for this, especially with it being a trail run?
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #2  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

I was scared with my first race, too. But there is nothing to be scared of. Most people are very friendly and the race atmosphere is fun, exciting and high-energy. I don't know particularly about trail races - I've only raced on pavement, but a few rookie mistakes I made with my first race....

- don't start out too fast in all of your excitement/nerves. You'll tire quickly and the end result is usually not pretty.

- Try to relax and remind yourself that you're only there to finish the race. I tend to get caught in how fast other people are running and get competitive. Competitiveness is a good thing when it doesn't ruin how you feel about yourself and your accomplishment. Running by itself is tough; running a race is rewarding and you should be so proud of yourself for doing it!

- Don't try anything new on race day (new shoes, new foods, etc.) Go with what has been working in terms of meals and rest, and you should be able to avoid any umm gastro-intestinal issues.

- For a 5k I would not carb load the night before. You're just asking for trouble lol!

- Have fun. Recognize your accomplishment and pat yourself on the back for doing something good for your body!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Just enjoy it for what it is! It's awesome you are trying it out!

My first 5K that I walked was too hot, too annoying in new shoes, and I learned a lot! The second one was way better.

But I never worried about being in the back of the pack. I figured I was still way ahead of those who never try new things.

To this day I'm still a slow poke, but still just as proud of my half marathon medal as I'd be had I actually placed.

If you haven't already, look into blisterblock for your heels and then body glide for your chafe prone bits -- thighs, feet, bra area, etc. 5 K isn't super long, but you can still aim to do it comfortable!

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #4  
westernsoutherngirl

S/C/G: 170/164/145

Height: 5'6'

For my first 5k i just kept saying "you can do this". See if you can at least see the course to get it in your mind even if you can't run it. The other thing I did was make myself run the whole way with no walking! I am really a slow runner but that was more my goal than a time goal - just to run the whole course! I did it and also managed to beat my goal time. This was hard for me because there were people going at about the same place with me in the race who were kind of sprinting and then walking, sprinting and then walking with the net effect being we were at the same place all the time passing each other - I had to really focus to keep running and not start walking.
Previous post was correct that race atmosphere will be festive and fun and there are so many different kinds of people in all shapes and sizes no one will be paying any real attention to other runners! Relax and have fun!
westernsoutherngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Zephyr, you'll do great! And seriously, even if you have an off day and have to walk a portion, it's not like you're the first. Just don't be nervous, all the other runners had a first 5K at some point too; they understand! Just focus on keeping YOUR pace (I know I have a tendancy to, subconsciously even, run faster when I'm being passed). You should probably take the time between now and the 5K to move your practice runs onto a trail to get you prepared for that change.

Oh and make sure the trail you practice on is a nice clear one. I ran down a not so frequently used trail one day and almost face-planted when my foot got caught in a vine! If you can practice on the trail you'll be running your 5K race on, that would be ideal.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 03-08-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Zephyr!! No advice, but just a comment. This is SO EXCITING!! I can't wait to hear how it goes! I'm sure you're going to do great.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #7  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

I'm still a little nervous on race-day even though I've done several. I have to keep remindng myself that I can do this. But I think that is part of the fun of racing over solo runs---the stepped up adrenaline and the energy of the other people. The shirts and the goodies after are also big pluses. And I do have my pasta the night before--simple carbs and no guilt, another good reason to run.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #8  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Thanks for all the great advice girls. I'm kinda nervous because I'm still not up to running 3 miles yet. I know I can reach 3 miles by the middle of next month though so I really shouldn't worry about that.

Ubergirl~ I will definately update after I've finished it. I am really excited and can't wait to see the progress I'll have made in a month!
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

My fist 5k my intention was to run / walk it, but amidts the excitement I jogged the whole way... It felt great... go for it and have fun!! Let us know how it goes...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote