Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default Every calorie counts

Right now I am surfing the net on my "brand new" treadmill desk. Ever since I hurt my back last January (14 months ago!) sitting is the worst thing in the world for me.

I've been wanting to have a treadmill desk and today I was screwing around trying to take measurements when I realized my circa 1993 Reebok Step fit PERFECTLY with no wiggle or slip. and I can remove it when it is time to run.

This is only for sloooooow walking. The recommended walk speed for a treadmill desk is 1.0 mph, I find 1.1-1.2 slightly more comfortable.

It isnt just about calorie burn either. There is a study that shows that extended sitting actually changes the chemicals produced by your body and lowers the metabolism even more than just "not moving" would predict

ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180 / 137 (regained) / 100

Height: 5'2"

Whoa, that's awesome! Makes me want to actually go out and buy a treadmill AND a treadmill desk xD I spend so much time on the computer, and therefore so much time sitting. This is a great idea. I really can't imagine always walking at 1.0 mph though.
teff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I don't have the treadmill, but I rigged a tall file cabinet drawer with a box lid to make a desk. I've only been doing it for a few days, but my energy is better.

And another benefit is that my shoulder hurts less. I have horrible posture at the computer and my shoulders really suffer. Now, when I'm just reading, my arms are down or swinging while I move around.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by teff View Post
Whoa, that's awesome! Makes me want to actually go out and buy a treadmill AND a treadmill desk xD I spend so much time on the computer, and therefore so much time sitting. This is a great idea. I really can't imagine always walking at 1.0 mph though.
I cant sit well because of my injured back. 1 mph walking is slightly easier for most people than standing still ( I think they recommend 0.7-1.2 as a good range?). The laptop in the photo is unfortunately dh's so I need to get my own.

Last edited by ennay; 03-03-2010 at 03:55 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180 / 137 (regained) / 100

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
I cant sit well because of my injured back. 1 mph walking is slightly easier for most people than standing still ( I think they recommend 0.7-1.2 as a good range?). The laptop in the photo is unfortunately dh's so I need to get my own.
I didn't think about walking slowly being a little easier than standing still. It's true though, I always end up getting all sorts of aches and pains from standing in lines and such or cashiering. Hope this helps your back!

And laptops are pretty dang affordable now
teff is offline   Reply With Quote