Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Exercise is supposed to give you energy? What's wrong with me?

I don't know why, but exercise never gives me energy. In fact, it usually makes me feel like crap. Is there something wrong with me?

I've tried different types of exercise, different lengths of time (20, 30, or 45 minutes), different frequencies (everyday, every other day, twice a week). I always feel completely drained.

Could cardio-vascular problems be the reason? My family is known for their bad hearts.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I have heart problems myself, but whenever I feel like crap exercising, at least for me, a lot of the reason behind it is mental. My therapist talked the other day about how when she is running her normal 20-miler, she sometimes has problems getting passed the third mile. She said she has done more marathons than she can count, but for some reason she went through this three-mile rut. She bought a hypnosis cd a friend recommended. I thought she was kidding at first, but she swears it worked wonders for her and she no longer has the problem. The more she talked about it, the less it sounded like hypnosis. It actually sounded more like a coach coaching a runner or his football team to a victory.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

how interesting! Does she listen to it while running?
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

exercise makes me tired... usually after I exercise I feel like I need a nap. I've always been like this, where exercise just kinda knocks me out.

I'm hoping as I get in better shape I start having more energy from it.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #5  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Kelly~ As a fellow calorie counter~I notice that When I add more things Into my daily exercise routine I get weak/tired/ect So I eat a few more calories when I exercise and it works out wonderfully.I actually was scared a few more calories would be a disaster with my weight loss And asked about it at first on this site.... BUT I PROMISE As per my experience, It Works great.
It gives you the energy to exercise longer and feel good afterwards and still lose weight greatly.

Last edited by Lori259; 05-25-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #6  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

I'm another one who gets more tired with exercise. Sometimes even queasy or sick feeling. I still have no idea why, but I know what you're going through! :hugs:
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:51 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
how interesting! Does she listen to it while running?
She doesn't listen to it while she runs. In fact, I get the impression she doesn't listen to anything or really carry much when she goes. She admitted some things which I thought were strange to say the least. She told me that she gets very thirsty on her long runs and knows where the bikers throw their disposable plastic bottles of water. Well, I guess they leave them half full a lot of the time and just take a big swig and toss them onto the sides of ditch banks and in them. She told me she goes and finds them and drinks the rest of the water. I think my jaw sort of dropped. She actually used the whole session to talk about her running and the hypnosis cds and water bottle habit. I told her she had just made my day by admitting that to me and I still am just tickled at how she offered up her explanation.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:10 AM   #8  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

I tend to have a mid-workout snack between strength training and cardio which helps me get through without feeling wiped. I usually save half for after too so I don't get wobbly in the shower. Apple slices with PB2 (instant peanut butter) is a special favorite.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:10 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Also, especially before weight training, you should have a salad or some other good carbs about 2 hours before or you might run out of steam.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

I have bad days also; some days i get the energy i need from the warm up. Kinda just push through it. Some days i'll just stop and be like, i dont want to do this.... so i dont. I also generally leave my work out til around 2-3 in the afternoon, it stops my 3:30-itis. When i get tired, i workout. But also by this time, i've eaten at least twice during the day.
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

You have tried different frequencies, have you tried different INTENSITIES? You may be working out too hard or even too easy. I sometimes get the most energy out of interval type workouts.

And mama - that 3 mile rut is really common among marathoners. It's one of the reasons I rarely run "short" 8 is easier than 3 in some weird way.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspank View Post
She told me that she gets very thirsty on her long runs and knows where the bikers throw their disposable plastic bottles of water. Well, I guess they leave them half full a lot of the time and just take a big swig and toss them onto the sides of ditch banks and in them. She told me she goes and finds them and drinks the rest of the water. I think my jaw sort of dropped.

That is um, interesting.
And horrible that the bikers just toss plastic bottles all over the place.

As for the energy thing, what time of day do you try to exercise?

I will be exhausted when I am out of shape, not getting enough protein, not getting enough sleep, dehydrated, etc. There are a lot of factors to consider for the "perfect" workout. Honestly more than any of them sleep, and my fitness level are the two biggies. I can be in the best shape of my life and eat perfectly, but If I tossed and turned all night, my workout will suck that day. I need a solid nine hours.
Water25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm so grossed out by the drinking water from random discarded bottles. OMG WHAT? Ick.

I tend to have more energy after an hour long class, but am totally wiped by less of a workout on machines. It's weird.
Noniegrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:39 PM   #14  

Honestly, I haven't "worked out" in about six weeks. That is to say, I haven't hit the gym. I have been playing about three to five softball games a week, yard work, and just eating a lot less. I know what you mean about the bottle thing being gross and weird, but I was really amused that she would even admit that to me. She recently has told me other personal things. I love that, that she shares as well, especially something so potentially off-putting. When I do go for a run or used to work out at the gym, I go right before dark, about an hour before dark. I love being outside and refuse to go the gym when the weather is tolerable. I hate the wind, and that is the only thing that keeps me indoors. I think you should try working out outdoors and -- this is going to sound so rootsy, but I feel like you can absorb a lot of positive energy from just being outdoors somewhere you enjoy. I run at the track by the river in my town.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Mamaspank - your therapist sounds like a very interesting character. The drinking out of random discarded water bottles is hard for me to get my head around : )
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote