Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/165/140

Height: 5ft 5"

Default 4 kids, a Harley and an extra 40 pounds :)

Hi everyone,

I live in Bahrain, in the Middle East. I have three teenagers and a 3-year-old, love to ride my Harley every weekend, and am looking for support and inspiration to lose 40 lbs.

Last week I was cleaning out my closet and found an old work skirt from 10 years ago - my waist band now fits around my thigh it was a depressing moment, but a good wake-up call.

I was always very skinny until 10 years ago when we moved to Bahrain. I am a comfort eater, I was homesick, so I tried to compensate by stuffing my face. It's a vicious cycle - the fatter I get, the more depressed I get, so the more I eat....

Anyway about 18 months ago I stuck to a diet and got down to 143 lbs, and I felt great.

Over the past year there have been a lot of stressful things in my life - financial problems, job losses, a miscarriage, and as of last week I was up to 171 pounds. I've managed to get down to 167 so far, and I intend to pop back here often, especially to look at the before and after pics for inspiration!

I have PCOS which makes losing weight very hard. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis, which makes exercising difficult, but I'm trying to do what I can. I am also on anti-depressants, but I also know that - unfortunately - my weight is very closely tied to my self -esteem (call me vain if you will) and I am just a happier person in general when I am thinner. Last time I got to my goal weight I was also able to come off the anti-depressants, so I'm hoping for the same result this time...

Thanks to everyone here who shares their inspirational stories and pictures - I hope to be posting in the Before and After thread before too long!!
JulieBahrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:31 AM   #2  

Good luck.You can do this.This is a great place for support and understanding.Welcome.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi Julie and welcome to 3FC.

Do lots of reading here in the forums. We have threads for PCOS, depression, RA, body esteem issues. You'll find lots of support from like-minded folks. Rad lots. Post lots. We're anxious to get to know you better.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi Julie! If you've done it before, you can do it again! You've come to the right place for support! Just jump right in! Good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #5  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

HI Julie....

Here is my thoughts....being a bariatric patient (RNY). My doctor said for me to eat the following way for the rest of my life. She went on to further say even people who have not had WLS, this is a marvelous routine and anyone can lose weight.

Eat your meals in this order...

1. Protein
2. Veggies
3. Fruits
4. Starches - none if possible
5 Sweets - none if possible.

After getting through the first 3, you probably won't want or care about the last 2.

Goodluck, you have proven you can do this, so you can do it again.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #6  
No description available.

Welcome Julie! I'm glad you're here!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote