Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #1  
SOFTBALL MOMMA

S/C/G: 235/231/160

Default new green bean

time to do something.
my daughter and i are going to do something together.
she is 12 and wants to lose weight also.
starting off going to make better food decisions.
she want to lose 30lbs to start.
i need to lose 75lbs.
we live in oregon.
we are a busy family with 3 girls that play volleyball, basketball and softball.
we are most consumed with softball, it take up 6-9months of the year.
we get a month break and go to volleyball and then jump right into basketball with the 2 younger sisters.
we eat alot of fast food because we are gone from the house from 4pm to 8-9pm 4-6 nights a week depending on the sport.
we are working on eating 6 small meals a day.
have been doing this for about 2 weeks.
i working on 1200-1500 cal a day and my daughter is working on 1800-2000 cal a day because growing kid (recommended by ped)

holly and daughter
:dance
holly0660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

Good for you! We have lots of people with lots of great ideas! to you both!!
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #3  
Cute, Curvy, Coquettish

Location: Manchester, New Hampshire. Originally from California

S/C/G: 192.5/180ish- I think! /150.0

Height: 5'1"

Sounds like a great plan to have your daughter along for the journey. Best of luck to the both of you!

gail
bunny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #4  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #5  
SOFTBALL MOMMA

thanks for the replys
does anyone have a teen trying to lose weight and willing to share any ideas that they are doing for sucess
my daughter learned today that she is going to need to try harder to achieve sucess
holly
Old 08-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #6  
Regina

S/C/G: 325/Ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Welcome
lessthanthreeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Holly! You and your DD are off to a good start! You'll find a wealth of helpful hints, suggestions, recipes and encouragement from the chickies in here. Please feel free to jump right in, we're happy to have you joining us.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #8  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I'd say the first thing to try to phase out would be the fast food. There are lots of low cal snacks and meals that you can bring with you with a little planning ahead. A few ideas for a cooler might be string cheese, low carb wraps with lettuce, sliced turkey, low fat mozzarella and mustard, yogurt, fruit, carrot sticks, cottage cheese....the list is endless.

If you do end up at a fast food place, go online and check out the nutrition info. Almost every place has a few things that aren't so chock full of fat.

I think it's great you are your daughter are doing this together.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:13 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I don't have a teen but it wasn't so long ago that I was one. An overweight one. It's a very difficult and emotional time for teenage girls, especially those struggling with their weight.

My grandmother criticized me all the time, but my mom was always there for me - even when I "hated" her. I don't have much advice for your daughter but the best advice I can give to you is be there for her NO MATTER WHAT. I think it's great that you guys are doing this together, hopefully that will be enough motivation for her! Just remember that she's young and she needs to decide just how bad she wants this on her own, and that decision is going to be much easier if she knows you're on her side no matter what she looks like or how much she weighs.

Best of luck to you both, you're in the right place.

Last edited by tonimaroni2; 08-05-2008 at 02:13 AM.
tonimaroni2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Hm. My schedule isn't quite as busy as yours sportswise. Is there anyway you could take one day a week and prepare snacks/meals to go through the week? Bags of cleaned veggies? Lower fat rice krispies treats? Crock pot meals? When you have to eat fast food, is there a Subway around? A grocery salad-to-go bar?

It is tough. But, it's so cool that your daughter is going to work with you! Hopefully you'll be able to work through the tough things together!

Best wishes!
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I struggled with my weight as a teen...and into adulthood. My mother was always on one diet or another, sometimes I would join her. I finally quit because everytime I would walk out the door she would remind me of what not to eat in front of my friends. Try very hard not to do that to her.

My own daughter is 14 (almost 15) and went from a very "pudgy" 5' 0" 165 pounds to a lean toned 5' 7" 138 pounds pretty much on her own. She started asking about healthier snack choices and became more active. She has danced since she was 4, but in the past 2 years she has become involved in 3 different dance programs. She started tagging along with me to the gym. I never said one word to her about her weight becuase I know the **** my parents put me through. She just figured it out on her own. Now she is my greatest source of support!!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #12  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

I think it is great that your daughter wants to be healthier with you. Is it possible for you both to meet with a dietician? Some insurance companies will pay for this if you get your doctor to refer you. It would be a good learning experience for you and your daughter. Having knowledge is always a good thing. It will help you both be better able to discern truth from myth when it comes to dieting/nutrition/exercise.
Best Wishes!
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #13  
SOFTBALL MOMMA

thanks for the replys.
i have let my daughter read them and hoping it gives her encouragement to keep trying and to not give up.
thanks again
holly
Old 08-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #14  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly0660 View Post
thanks for the replys
does anyone have a teen trying to lose weight and willing to share any ideas that they are doing for sucess
my daughter learned today that she is going to need to try harder to achieve sucess
holly
Hi Holly and daughter... What a great journey you are starting together..
I'd like to suggest you post a thread saying... Anyone else losing weight with their children... or My daughter and I are on journey something like that... it may get more exposure... just a thought... because I'm sure there are families out there doing this together....
HOLLY's Daughter... YOU, my dear, can do this !!!
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote