Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #1  

Default My journey begins 7/28/08- my introduction

I have spent much of this morning lurking on websites, looking at recipes and deciding how to begin my much needed weight loss journey. I am a 37 year old mother of two girls (ages 6 and 10). That right there should be enough motivation to lose weight- to be a positive role model for my daughters. Hard as this is to say (type!) I currently weigh 250 lbs and I'm 5'4". Ugh- there I said it. After the birth of my first daughter in 1997, I managed to lose over 50 lbs, some on WW, the rest on my own- through healthy diet and exercise- and the motivation of my wedding in 1999. I weighed 150 lbs on my wedding day- which many people don't believe because I really looked thin. My father swears I was 120. But- I'm like that- I have always weighed a bit more than I looked. I look at those pictures and those of the year or two that I maintained that weight, and I want it back again. I was about 175 when I got pregnant with my second daughter in 2001. From there, I gained about 65 lbs. I got down to about 190 after she was born, but it's been all uphill since then. My now ex-husband was always belittling my weight---even at my lowest of 150. I know I can only blame my self, but that hurt- alot. I worked so hard, and felt so good, and it wasn't good enough for him. He obviously wanted something out of a magazine.
Within the course of that time, I moved from NJ to Florida. I do not like living in FL- never have- and I have made up my mind to move "home" after this school year (I'm a teacher). There is so much I miss about living in NJ - the seasons, my friends, the familiarity- and after 5 years away, I know that it's time for us to return. So, I look upon this next year as a journey for me. I want to feel better (#1) , look better, feel more confident, just make some major life changes that I know will make me a better "me", a better mother, teacher and have a more satisfying life.
There are days where I feel everybit of the 250 lbs that I weigh. Then there are those days, where I just don't see it. Strange, isn't it? I guess it's how we fool ourselves. I have attempted to lose weight, sometimes with success and sometimes not, a million times, with every plan and gimmick you can imagine. Now, at my age, and at this point in my life, I know I need to do it "right", and be prepared for hard work, dedication, and patience. I am on "vacation" in Nj with my girls now, but will be back in FL by Monday, ready to begin my new journey.
I plan to follow the Weight Watchers plan (I know it inside and out, and love their website too) as well as exercise (alternating between my treadmill and the FIRM- its too hot in FL to exercise outside until like December-for me, anyway) 5-6 days a week.
I am excited, nervous, but determined. I really like the boards on here and I look forward to the support and friendship I hope to find here.
Thanks for reading!
jls155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #2  
paulaS

S/C/G: 285/tickler/150

Height: 5 8

Hey, and welcome aboard,
Where in Florida?
Born in Jersey, raised in Florida, I love it here. I agree with you its very hot, but that just motivated me to sweat more.
pkend4593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #3  

I live in Citrus Springs, about an hour north of Tampa.
Nice to meet you!
jls155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #4  

I live in Mo. and am a frequent joiner of WW. I am home for the next 6 weeks because I tore a tendon in my foot. Needless to say, I need to start my diet again or I will be the size of a house. I am 5'2 and weigh 190. Hope to start WW (again!) next week. I am a stress eater and my job is extremely stressful. Hope that being off work for the next six weeks will help. Good luck with WW and hopefully we can stay in touch and help each other.
stiversmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #5  
Amanda

S/C/G: 220/tracker/160 by Christmas

Height: 5'4"

Welcome!

2 kids later I am in the same boat as you. I was 5'4" and 220. I know how you feel. I am down about 25 pounds. Following WW and the south beach concepts. You can do it!!!! This is a great forum, with lots of great people! You've come to the right spot...

-Amanda
akhrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:15 PM   #7  

Welcome!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #8  
Struggler

S/C/G: 233/218/150?

Smile

and on taking that first step !!
Mollikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:45 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 212/210/160

Welcome! I'm new, too! Just like you, people are often surprised to know how much I weigh. I guess I can pack it in well!! I also live in Florida . I've lived here my whole life and wouldn't give it up for anything!!
I am also a teacher (in the Ft. Myers area) and have 2 girls who are 7 and 9. I am an evening eater. Also, an emotional eater. Also, a boredom eater....it goes on and on.
I've been struggling recently because I'm not getting results for my efforts (well the results I think I should see). So, I joined 3FC. I'm feeling better about this already! Good luck!
flnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #10  
Just starting off...

S/C/G: 204/204/140

Height: 5'5"

I'm new to this site as well. Welcome! Hopefully we will all be able to encourage eachother to stick to our goals. I love Florida, but actually didn't move there because it is so hot. I love how in Maryland I can cover up half the year, lol. Anyway, again welcome! I think I may do WW as well.. it's the only thing I've done in the past that has truly worked for me.
kimmie2bethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 235/230/185

Height: 5'7

Hi there! I'm very excited for you as you begin this new phase! You've survived a lot and you are definitely worth the effort it takes to lose the weight and be healthy!! Good luck!!
leelily is offline   Reply With Quote