Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #1  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Default cybex arc trainer

does anyone have one of these at home? Or use one at the gym? I would love to hear feedback. Is it as easy on the joints as they say but does it still get your HR up. Is it quiet? Have you found that it remains challenging as your fitness level improves?
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #2  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I think it is a great cardio workout - I use treadmill, elliptical and arc trainer on varying days, it is harder for me to use the arc trainer than the treadmill or elliptical - but I think mostly that is because it is uncomfortable for me....I always feel like it is throwing my body forward and it makes my toes squished...I honestly don't think there is anything I am doing wrong...but who knows....I would use it more if it didn't hurt my toes so much!
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #3  

It is my favorite machine to use at the gym. I feel it is very easy on the knees, and I have no problem getting my heart rate up. There are about 5 different settings to use. It is way easier than the elliptical in my opinion.
MarycleMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

This is highly rec. by my trainer at the gym.....IF I keep the level at 10 and the resistance over 40..it gives me the most bang for my buck with calorie count, it's a real good stretch for the glutes. I only wish they had the model with the arm workout like an elliptical.

I don't think it's a popular home machine because of the really high pricetag.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #5  
start march 29 2008

Thanks. I am really trying to figure out what piece of exercise equipment I want at home and would use for the longterm. Over the years I have had almost every piece of equipment. I wondered about the recumbent bike-but I find that although I can ride it for a long time it doesn't really pump me up- my HR stays around 114-120 with spikes here and there. I think I prefer a harder shorter work out. The funny thing is I really love the gazelle- I can get my heartrate up it is easy on the joints and fun-but it is squeaky and cheap (mine is a few years old- so maybe that is the problem). The cybex arc trainer seems like it might be a similar motion to the gazelle- except for the $$$$$$.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #6  
prepare for the BEST time

If you crank the ARC up to 10 it feels as if you are climbing uphill, I burn about 12-13 calories per min (according to the machine anyway, it's probably wrong, but it's nice to look at the numbers).

for the pricetag, you can get a 3 year gym membership.(and you don't have to find a place to put it)...I belong to LA fitness, they only have 4 of the ones without the arm ext., but some of the newer ones do have an arm workout...try SNAP fitness.

I wish my gym carried the professional model Treadclimber...i think 24Hour might, but there are none in my area.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #7  
start march 29 2008

Thanks- gym memberships don't work for me- no time. I usually try to get my exercise in right when I wake up in the am.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #8  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Cybex now makes a home version of the AT. I love the arc trainer at the gym... my gym opens at 5 btw....
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:41 AM   #9  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I think the Cybex is one of the best cardio machines at the gym. I have an ellliptical machine from Precor at home and it's constantly breaking down. I think the problem with buying a piece of equipment for home is the amount you have to pay to have it repaired. I would really look into that before spending the money because I have had to stop using my Precor due to this issue. I know you have owned many machines, so maybe you already know this, but I thought I'd just let you know, in case you haven't thought of it.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #10  
start march 29 2008

Thanks I actually have never had a piece of equipment break down- mind you I probably haven't used them enough to warrant them breaking down.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/190/140-160

Height: 5'5"

This is one of my fave cardio machines at the gym. I love it. The only one that I love more is a brand new Precor.... I forget what it's called, but the foot pedals hang down like teh arc trainer. You can step, glide forward or glide backwards based on how you press your foot and pull your arms.

Oh, My arc trainers have teh arms, which I love. I got to Lifetime Fitness, BTW.

HTH
tigerchic89 is offline   Reply With Quote