Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-28-2008, 05:36 PM   #1  
Cookie??!?!!

S/C/G: 145/143/120

Height: 5'4

Default Protein Shakes??

Hi All,

My personal trainer recommended a protein shake while I work out. I read the best protein shakes to drink DURING workouts are whey protein or Whey hydrolysates. Does anyone have some good recommendation on good tasting protein shakes that are low in calories?? I love chocolate but I dont want it to taste like water.

Thanks

Last edited by Sarae878; 04-28-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Sarae878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

I bet you'll have a difficult time finding a low-calorie protein shake, but you can tweak how you prepare the shake to affect caloric content. Muscle Milk is phenomenal, and comes in either a powder or pre-mixed. (I buy the powder; it is fairly pricey, but high-quality whey is.) This brand is so finely milled that it mixes without an electric blender, which is great if you're at the gym: just combine in a shaker and go. I find the flavor to be wonderful, especially one called "Mocha Joe." Mix the powder with water instead of milk (unless you'd drink milk anyway, in which case use it and just take it into account for the day) to save on calories, and/or use one scoop of the powder as opposed to two. Use crushed ice along with the water, and this product tastes like a milkshake.
I will warn you that when I was consuming the full-strength, 2-scoop shake (~375 calories) I was not losing any weight. I was stuck at around 145 for the longest time, even with doing hard cardio 7 days/week and lifting 5 days/week and taking into account the 375 calories into my daily allotment. People on this board will swear that lifting won't add bulk for a woman but for me, the combination of lifting and consuming a shake post-lift session kept me pudgy. It wasn't until I cut down to a 1-scoop shake a couple of times per week (and replaced those shake calories with other foods of the same caloric content) that I broke through my plateau and dropped out of the 140s. Just my experience!
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #3  
Vates

S/C/G: 268/243/150

Height: 5"6

pure protein is awesome it come in 3 different flavors premixed in a can. You can get either 20 grams of protein in the 100 calorie can or 37 grams of protein in the 160 calorie can. They taste great!
Vates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220 / 180/ 160

Height: 5'8"

Body Fortress Super Advanced is decent. It's 100 calories for one scoop 2 grams fat - 26 grams protein - 3 grams carbs.

There's three flavors - Cookies & Cream - Chocolate - Vanilla. I've had the first two and they're good. I mix mine with lite soymilk (50 calories) and instead of the full scoop I only have a half scoop - granted, that makes it only 13 grams protein but that's just me...

You can find it at Walmart or Meijer.
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #5  
Cookie??!?!!

S/C/G: 145/143/120

Height: 5'4

Thanks
Sarae878 is offline   Reply With Quote