Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #1  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Weight gain post-Spinning workout...?

This week I started incorporating spinning into my workouts because I hurt my knee running and didn't want to make it worse. I also have a bad habit, I weigh myself on the scale at my gym after every workout. (One day I will kick that :S) I realize there are water fluctuations day-to-day but after a run I usually find my weight is the same or like 0.5lb lower or something. Anyway, I weighed myself after spinning twice this week and both times I was up one to two pounds. I workout a lot with weights so I really don't feel like I'm shocking my muscles into retaining a bunch of water...although my legs definitely burn during the class. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and could maybe shed some light for me...

Thanks in advance
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:05 AM   #2  
Meg

It sounds like you already know how inaccurate weighing yourself after exercise is so I won't give you "the lecture".

Did you drink water during class? I chug lots of water when I spin because I sweat like a pig. A bottle of water weighs about a pound. Did you sweat more? Less? Was your shirt soaked? (mine is) Did you weigh with your sweaty clothes on? All these things show up as "weight" changes but they're not fat changes.

Spinning may be THE most calorie-burning workout, so keep it up -- I'm sure you're going to love the results!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #3  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

I drank two bottles of water between that and my weights...but I usually do even when I run. I always sweat like crazy too...The clothes I wore were what I usually wear. I really need to stop weighing myself after every workout out. It's so hard though! The only thing I can think of is that maybe spinning is more "resistance"-like than running and my leg muscles were inflammed.

And yeah, spinning is definitely comparable to a run of the same length in terms of my calorie burn (I have a HRM) and I'm really enjoying it now. I did it once a few months ago and it killed me but this week it's been sorta addictive.
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote