Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

Default need exercise to strengthen lower back/hip area

I had to do some serious heavy shoveling this past weekend. We've got more than four feet of snow out back - it is beginning to melt and water was pooling towards the back door. So I had to shovel a path for the water to escape - that was a lot of shoveling, and I had to lift the snow quite high.

My arm and shoulder muscles were pooped by the end of it, and I figured that they'd be killing me for a couple of days, but they were fine - thanks to doing light weights for several months. But my lower back area, just above and at the top of my pelvic bone was quite sore (don't know the name for the muscles there). Obviously those muscles need more exercise. I do lots of crunches and they seemed to help the area above that, but don't do much for the muscles in question.

What exercises will strengthen that area? They'll have to be something I can do at home.

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

You could do back extensions or romanian deadlifts. Those both work the lower back. You could also do some regular deadlifts to train your butt, thighs and hips to help out when you bend over so that your lower back doesn't have to do it alone. Just be sure to watch a few videos online (or get someone to help you) to get the form right.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #3  

Hmmm... I don't have a barbell, and would be afraid to get one. I do my exercises in our small living room and with my luck, I'd bash in the TV or something like that Can I use my 10 pound hand weights and do the same motions?

BP
Old 03-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

You absolutely can use dumbbells for your deadlifts. They are a GREAT exercise!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

Pelvic tilts.. I think that's what they're called. Or bridges. Whatever.

Get into crunch position, laying on back with knees bent. Lift your pelvis upwards and hold for a count of 30 seconds. To make this extra challenging, try using a balance board ( I bought a golds gym one at walmart for 20 or less) underneath your feet. GREAT for lower back. (one of my weakest spots)

Also, planks are great for strengthening the core and back. Or, if you have an exercise ball, a ball roll out. Kneel in front of your exercise ball and lean forward, resting your forearms on the ball. In a controlled motion, slowly lean forwards, moving the ball with you. You'll find yourself leaning forwards with your feet off the ground, also kind of leaning with you, that's all good. Keeping your movements slow and controlled, lean and roll the ball backwards.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: (Preg 205)/163/150/140

Height: 5' 6"

What Southlake said! My physical therapist taught me...and it works. The other one that helped was crunches on a ball...but don't over do it! My belly hurt for days when I first started, and did too many!
get fit in ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

Pilates is also great for core strength and you can get great videos to do at home
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:26 AM   #8  

Ok - I've watched several different videos of the Romanian Deadlifts and I think I've got if figured out. I'll get DH to film me so I can compare my form and correct it.

I don't have an exercise ball, but I think I'll keep my eye on craigslist for one. I'll try some pelvic tilts too. I'm sure at least one of these exercises will work the muscles I want strengthened.

Thanks all!

BP

Last edited by bopeep; 03-19-2008 at 01:27 AM.