Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S/C/G -- 198.8/182.2/125

Height: 5'2"

Default Newbie from Missouri

Just wanted to jump in to the fun and introduce myself. I am a married mom of 2 (DD just turned 12 and DS will soon be 2). I am a Registered Nurse and work every other weekend....but I am getting ready to be a full time SAHM.
I have about 70 lbs to loose My daughter and I just started doing weight watchers together. She has almost 70 lbs to loose too. We both have issues with us being over weight and don't feel good about ourselves. She is also at the age where kids are mean and say mean things. We decided to do the WW as it is more hid from the kids at school than most programs. We have the support from our family, but outside support is always nice. At her age, she isn't able to go to WW meetings or even do this site for that matter. I feel like heel when she is begging me to eat something and I tell her no. I know that I have to keep thinking....in the end it will pay off and she will hopefully appreciate me more and herself ultimately. I have to keep telling myself......it is for her own good. Feel bad now, be rewarded later. However, with WW it is more about healthy eating than actually dieting. I let her get this big, and let it get this out of hand. I had a problem with putting her on a diet so to speak before because I strongly believe that it could and would lead to an eating disorder. But at this point, kids are teasing her, and it is affecting how she feels about herself, so it is time for change. I think I have just been in denial until now. There are so many dislikes for her in foods that this is going to make things difficult. We chose to do the flex plan since she had very few items off of the core list that she would eat. This way, she will just have to be accountable for the food she eats. We doing the flex in a different way also. Instead of depositing points back in to our daily points, we are looking at excercise as a bonus and not eating those extra points earned. I hope that produces better results for us.
Sorry to ramble on and on. I hope to meet up with more mother/daughter duos and see how your progress is going too.

Last edited by KaraRN; 01-28-2008 at 02:51 PM.
KaraRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Hello! I wish you the best of luck on WW (it's working for me), but I hope you've gone to your child's pediatrician before having her follow WW. In fact, if the doctor says it's okay, she'll be able to go to meetings, too! It's just an especially difficult thing, because at 12 she's still a growing girl. Have you thought about bringing some physical activity into the mix? It might actually be easier to have her find something she'd like to try out. Doesn't just have to be "sports" either. It could be dancing, or walking.

May you both find something that works well in order to be healthier ^^
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #3  

I haven't talked to the pediatrician....but as a Registered nurse, I know that she needs this. The last visit to the pediatrician, she recommended she loose a bit of weight buy cutting calories and fat....in essence....healtier eating...and that is WW afterall. Thanks for the words of encouragement. We need them!
Old 01-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/135

Height: 5'5"

Good for you two. Especially that you are doing it together that will make it easier for her. Be sure to set mini goals with good rewards to help her stay motivated. How about some of the exercise/dance dvds? Maybe you could rent a few to see if she likes them. Good luck to both of you.
Just Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 166.5/135/120

Height: 5'8"

As a former obese child I say kudos to you for helping her. I wish my parents had done something about my eating instead of blaming me for it.
FlabulessPhyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/259/180

Height: 5'9"

I think more parents should do what your doing. Kids are so mean and I believe girls are the WORSE!! I have a 10 yr old girl. If you wear something or have a bad hair day or anything the claws just come out in these little girls. I was over weight in Jr High and on. I'm doing weight watchers now and have only lost 2 pounds in one month. I nibble all the time and I need to get all my bad eating habits under control. Then I believe WW will work. I'm not a duo but would love to have someone to talk to.
jenny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #7  

Wow! Thanks all for the words of encouragement.
Deb- I think right now, we need to focus more on the change of eating habits. She does have more activity than I do b/c she has PE 3x week. She will also be starting basketball at the end of this month. She is also rehearsing for the school's Night on Broadway (musicals from popular current shows, ie, High School Musical, etc...) She does this 2 x week. Then she has tutoring 2 x week. Then soon the basketball will start soon, that will help a ton Im sure. I do want to incorporate more excercise though, this is pure torture to her right now just changing our way of eating. I have heards lots about that Dance Dance Revolution. Anyone know if it is out for Playstation 3?

Phyllis- Thanks for the encouragement. I blame myself for letting her weight get this out of control. After all, I am the one who buys the food and the one who prepares it.

Jenny- I will welcome anyone .....not just duos. I welcome all advice and all encouragement. WTG on your loss....although you say you ONLY lost 2 lbs.....it sure does beat gaining those 2 lbs