Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-26-2008, 02:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default What to expect at yoga class?

I want to start going to yoga classes at my gym but I don't know what to expect.

First of all what should I wear? I don't like wearing sleeveless/tight fitting tanks, but I would assume a regular t-shirt would ride up, correct?

Also, should I be worried about the poses? I'm not 100% new to yoga, I've done a little on my own from a book or two and a video but I'm not all that flexible nor familiar with particular asanas and their names.

I guess the bottom line is I just don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. any insight would be much appreciated!
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:46 AM   #2  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I just started taking a yoga class this year and I love it. I wear my normal gym attire, which today was my old cheerleading shorts from high school (I am not joking you - and I'm 30!) and a T-shirt that's about ten years old. Sometimes my T-shirts creep up a bit when I'm doing the inverted poses, but I just have better things to spend money on than fancy gym clothes. We do yoga barefoot.

There are many, many, many different types of yoga. Of the three instructors who teach at the gym I go to (on a military base), each class is totally different. Some instructors like to hold poses for a long time to make sure everyone is doing them properly and some are more concerned with having a flow between all of the poses so they don't hold them as long. Some teachers focus more on the strength poses and some focus more on the bendy/flexibility poses. It might help you to know what to expect if you asked at the gym what type of yoga the teacher uses and then look it up on line.

Remember that it's the teacher's job to teach you. They don't expect you to know everything. The teacher will probably ask at the beginning of class if anyone is new, just so s/he knows to make sure you're doing everything properly so you don't hurt yourself. Sit in a good spot where you can clearly see and hear the instructor.

Have fun! I absolutely adore going to yoga class and hope you have the same experience!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:05 PM   #3  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

Just in case the teacher doesn't ask, you can go a few minutes early and tell them that you're new so they know you may need extra help. I've done that before, and it also helps me to build up some rapport with the instructor. I like to become friends with my gym instructors, especially if I'm a regular.
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #4  

Wear whatever makes you comfortable, I am trying to wear tanks (the 5.00 ones you wear in the summer) , the shirts do ride up a little if they are loose when you bend over but if they are more fitted they won't. My gym turns the heat up a little so I wear shorts. There are a few people that wear the expensive yoga wear but most don't. The teachers are trained to handle all abilities and even people with slight injuries so you'll fit right in.. they will tell you its not a competition

If youre going to go often I would advise getting your own yoga mat. I don't think cleaning the mats they have with water is really going to do anything.

Last edited by MissGiggles; 01-26-2008 at 03:20 PM.
MissGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote