Old 10-28-2007, 09:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'7"

Default Flight Fit

I have to share a neat NSV! As I posted earlier, I just got back from a trip up north. I was dreading the plane ride..you know, the notorious seat belt issue!!
The planes that I rode on were "Express". I think it means they were made for children in kindergarten!! VERY small planes. The seats were smaller than normal ones....Lovely.
I didn't have to stretch the seat belt all the way to the end!! I had about 8 inches left over!! AND, when I put the armrest down....it didn't rest on my leg! It went all the way down...and stayed down!!! I was so excited.
It really made me think of what in the world I would've done a few months ago if I had to ride on those planes. I KNOW I wouldn't have fit very well. I barely made it on a transatlantic jet!!
Just wanted to share with you all! Thank you so much for all you do!!
Love,
PeggyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

YAY!!!! That must've felt triumphant!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #3  
Simply Filling Technique

Thumbs up

I was just thinking about flying. I remember when I had about 1/2 inch left when I buckled it and I was still struggling to get it snapped when the airline steward was pacing the aisles. I felt like everyone was looking at me. It is also one reason why I like the aisle seats. I hate having to get up and try to move over someone gracefully (is that even possible?) without bumping my head on the overhead compartments. I told my husband, just once I would like to fly first class, just once!! I have long legs and I feel like a sardine in a can.

I don't know when I will be flying again but that is something that is always on my mind. I would feel like I was on cloud nine if I had that many inches left over. I think I would be smiling the rest of the flight!!

What a great NSV!! Thanks for sharing Peggy
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:22 PM   #4  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Yay, cool! I have never flown in my life, but I'm taking my first plane ride in December to Las Vegas, and I've been in such fear..what if they want me to buy 2 seats? Will I fit into a seatbelt? After reading your post, I'm hoping to find myself happy to see that I worried needlessly. Congrats!

Oh, and welcome home.
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:56 PM   #5  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

I've flown numerous times at my top weight, 4-5 times each year and I've never had problems. Then too, I care alot of my weight in my bust and not my lower region so the seat belt/fitting the chair thing never bothered me.
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:44 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

That is so awesome!! Little things like that make it all worthwhile.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:01 AM   #7  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

I fly a lot because I live overseas and I always feel uncomfortable in the economy seats. I feel so huge and I also feel like I take up other people's space. I will fly home at Christmas my return flight is an economy seat. I am hoping I will get a last minute upgrade. Flying so much makes me used to it but I'd love to feel better about how I "fit" on a plane.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:42 AM   #8  

What a great NSV!! I know that when I fly, I am always nervous about seat fit, seat belts, and spilling over onto the person next to me. I have not been on a plane since before I started this journey and the only thing that saved me was that I was in first class (got a free upgrade!!) and the seats were HUGE! I still have anxiety over chairs and seats on planes and buses, etc.
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Yeah! I posted this NSV a few weeks ago. I fly often and started out at the maximum seatbelt extension, probably not too far from having to ask for an extender. I now have about an 8" tail also, and I get a kick out of it every time I get on a plane.

Cassie, I am 5'4" like you, and at my heaviest - 245 - I could still fit. I carry a lot of weight in my belly, so you should be fine at your weight.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:14 AM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Congratulations, Peggy!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:50 AM   #11  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Awesome!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #12  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'7"

Thanks so much for the encouragement!! You guys are the best!!
PeggyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Chiming in late here, but I fly weekly. I can tell you that 5'2" and 300 pounds does NOT work in a coach seat. Luckily I fly AirTran and have been able to upgrade all my flights.

On the seat belt issue, don't worry about it not fitting. You can ask for a seat belt extender, they usually give out a couple on each flight. It's that little piece of belt they use to demonstrate how to buckle up in the safety briefing, so it gives you another foot or two of length, which is plenty.

I am at the annoying size now where one seatbelt on the planes I fly is just a little too tight to make it, but if I get an extender it's hard to tighten it up enough to be snug. Very annoying.

P.S. It was embarrassing the first couple of times I ask, but now I don't mind at all. I mean, it's no secret that I'm big, people can tell that by looking at me. It's not like they they thought I was a size 8 before, and suddenly because I requested an extender they realize I'm a size 28.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #14  
What am I waiting for?

S/C/G: 315/254/160

I can fly economy but its a real tight fit I can put the seat belt on and arm rest down but I know that whoever sits next to me is feeling crowded for sure. this plane had 18.25in seats.

One flight I had to have the armrest up but I was sitting next to a family member so they didnt mind that I did. this plane had 17.4in seats.

My hips are 57inches too....I think that has a lot to do with how well you fit the size of your legs and hips. I have never been asked to buy another seat, but I hope that next time I fly I will be more comfortable and weight a bit less
jasmine987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #15  
science nerd

S/C/G: 302/ticker/151

Height: 5'8"

Congrats! I flew for the first time earlier this year for spring break. I was so nervous that I wouldn't fit! I just barely fit in the seat of those darn express jets. The transatlantic jet wasn't too bad, though. Plus no one sat next to me while crossing the ocean, so I didn't have to worry about the arm rest.
shadowclaw is offline   Reply With Quote