Old 09-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #1  
Ready to lose big time

S/C/G: 194/189/115

Height: 5'-2"

Default Sonoma Newbie

Hi everyone!

I stumbled on The Sonoma Cookbook in the bookstore. This came shortly after my doctor told me that I have to lose weight and lower my blood pressure or she was going to put me on blood pressure medicine.

I looked at the recipes and thought this is exactly what I really need. A healthy and balanced diet. No fads.

I have started Wave one, but am having trouble sticking with it. My problem is falling off the diet for convenience rather than out of cravings. I need to get organized and possibly prepare meals for the freezer. This way, I have meals to grab for lunch at work.

I'm waiting for The Sonoma Diet book to become available from the library. So I've done a little online research to get the general idea of the diet. Maybe I'm jumping the gun with the cookbook.

So how is the Sonoma Diet working for everyone? Has anyone had real success with it? I'm just wondering since it doesn't seem to be really popular. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nancy
Loser Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #2  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

Hi Nancy,

I came to Sonoma as you did - via the cookbook, then the diet book later. There are some great recipes in it! Yummy. I'm restarting wave 1 this week after an abysmal weekend camping.

Having meals in the fridge/freezer certainly helps, I find I am often eating leftovers from supper the night before for lunch. There is a lot of food prep involved, but you can cut up tier 1 veggies (like peppers or cucumbers) for snacks and put them in the fridge for a few days.

Keep us updated on how things are going. I did great on wave 1 last week, then took the "weekend off" and am now back for another 10 days. Then on to wave 2.

To answer your last question - I think it's not so popular because it hasn't been heavily advertised (I'd never heard of it before 3FC, then finding the cookbook in a store) and because a lot of people who eat Sonoma-ish aren't following the diet per se, but are eating like this as a lifestyle. Also, other than the website (which keeps asking me to "join") there aren't a lot of "Sonoma products" since she emphasises whole foods and portion control - not exactly "sexy diet product" for quick appeal and advertising. I do think it works though, even though I am still new to it. For me, the appeal is a way of eating I can live with forever - although I know there will be treats from time to time.

Jax

Last edited by jaxjob; 09-05-2007 at 04:50 PM.
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/168/150

Welcome Nancy! This is the BEST diet I've ever been on. You don't feel like you are dieting at all! I am giving it my best try to make it a lifestyle.

I try not to eat any white breads, white pasta or butter. I stick w/Whole Grains. When I first started Sonoma (I've done it a few times), I was overwhelmed by the cooking. Now that I make my own meals, and not stick to the books menu as much, I'm doing better.

I find ways to make it easy. I will buy a roasted chicken from the store or Boston Market, and just don't eat the skin. While you can only eat so much salad, at least you can pick one up where ever you are.

I do love the tuna salad sandwich from the book... and I can whip that up very quickly, as I have the recipe memorized. So, that's another "quick" fall back item. Oh, and I did a lot of omlets when I first started too. Toss in some mushrooms and yellow peppers and you have your veggies included.

I always stick to Kashi Go Lean and Bran Flakes in the morning w/skim milk... so breakfast is fast and easy. Also, apples, grapes and strawberries are always ready to go to pop in my mouth if I "want" something "now". Fruit is Wave 2... but I skipped Wave 1 this time. I figured Wave 2 is more of a lifestyle change, so that's what I'm working on.

A year ago when I did Wave 1, I lost 10 lbs. Then over the Christmas holidays, I ate like a pig. Lots and lots of desserts and unhealthy foods. I gained back most of it.

So, yes, Sonoma works. Good Luck on it! Oh, and I think you can buy the book on Amazon for dirt cheap!
luvthelighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Welcome Nancy. I am struggling with the convenience issues with this diet also so I know what you mean but it does get easier with time. I tend to cook more on the weekend and try to do minimal cooking during the week. The recipes are delicious so at least you have great tasting food to eat once you put the effort in.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:04 PM   #5  

I find it actually very similar to South Beach, maybe a bit more flexible and easier to follow -- I love the idea of using smaller plates, such a simple but brilliant thing to do!

One thing that is absolutely true: when I eat HALF my usual portion -- I'M FINE WITH IT!! As in, not hungry after the half portion. I don't think I'm that unusual in the sense that it is so easy for me to pour a triple serving of cereal, or triple portion of pasta. We're just flat-out all used to eating too much, in part because of the "value" pricing for "convenient" food.

I've come to the conclusion that if I have a few just-in-case options (progresso lentil soup, something in the freezer) and shop/cook just two days ahead of myself, it's all good!

One thing I LOVE about this diet is that it emphasizes really enjoying your food -- cooking something you love, and eating a moderate portion of it slowly. And not in front of the TV, etc.!! I do think losing those kinds of habits is just as important as changing the food itself.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #6  

Hey loser chick, I am also motivated by health/blood pressure issues....after a lifetime of yoyo dieting just for vanity reasons, it's the first time I've ever felt like OMG, this is really affecting my health!

I have an appt. for a BP check on Fri.....keeping my fingers crossed, for the BP numbers AND the scale numbers!

Hey btw I got the book from half.com for $3!

Basically there's two things I'm totally sick of: crazy eating and crazy dieting! So if this takes a year to get to a certain weight....or however long....I'm just gonna wait (weight!) it out....
Old 09-05-2007, 09:27 PM   #7  
Ready to lose big time

Thanks everyone for the great tips. The library called and said that the book (The Sonoma Diet) was in, so I picked it up this evening. Perhaps, I'll just try to make good choices until this weekend and start Wave 1 after I have had a chance to read the book. Even with the cheating, I'm down 2 lbs.!!!

Thanks again for all the great tips. I'm optimistic that I can do this, wish me luck!
Old 09-09-2007, 10:46 AM   #8  
Ready to lose big time

Snacks! I'm Aloud Snacks! Who Hoo!
Old 09-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #9  

You gotta have snacks, Loser! LOL....my favorite 3:00 snack is a plate of cucumbers, grape tomatoes and red peppers with a small side of either hummus or cottage cheese & feta dip, and maybe a couple of olives. I also like to have a green apple, with a few raw almonds.

I really HAVE to have a healthy snack a couple of hours before dinner -- I don't know if it's a question of stabilizing blood sugar or what but it makes it so much easier to have a light dinner. Being ravenous at dinner is just death to my regime! Big wine-soaked dinners are what got me into this mess in the first place, more than anything else...
Old 09-09-2007, 01:35 PM   #10  
Ready to lose big time

Kate:
I started with the cookbook and waited for the diet book to become available. I finally got the book from the library and that is how I found out about the snacks.

I'm glad. I am usually famished and impatient by dinner time. LOL