Old 08-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #1  

Default Wine and the WTH factor

OK so I've been so good about figuring out my daily meal plans on FitDay and and allowing for stuff.....

So last night my hub and I went to Hollywood Bowl, not a huge challenge in itself because you can pack your own dinner. The challenge lies in his work friend, the Wine Snob. This guy takes one sip of something and he's talking about "sub flavors" (vanilla! plum! coffee! uh, tastes like wine to me.) soil and weather conditions and all manner of stuff that's a little nuanced for my level of sophistication (which comes down to, I like it or I don't.)

So anyhow I had budgeted myself for 2 YEAH! TWO!!! glasses of wine, even made my turkey sandwich on lettuce leaves to accomodate.....was doing good but sure enough during the second glass of pinot the WHAT THE **** factor kicked in, by that I mean the unique chemical reaction (2nd sip of 2nd glass) where you stop caring so much about your diet.

Soon Wine Snob starts handing out little "palate cleansers" like CHOCOLATE and CRACKERS and SUPER FATTENING CHEESE which I start eating what-the-**** style. After having been so careful all day, all week, all month! UGH!!

Not only that but he insists that we taste 1 oz samples all these different bottles and of course this morning I have NO idea how much I drank, only that getting up this morning was like pulling teeth.

Oh well....back on the saddle as they say. On the positive side, Dave Brubeck was great (any jazz fans?) Listening to "Take Five" on a beautiful night under the stars is such a treat in itself, the caloric treats really weren't that necessary. But what are ya gonna do. Perserverance not perfection, right?
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/168/150

So you slipped up on meal. That's okay, as long as you are right back on track today. We are not perfect. However, you slacked last night, so don't let that become the habit. I'm not being mean, I just want you to succeed... and you CAN.

I have to say, I do think it all sounds yummy. Glad that's out of your system. Now go have some water to help that hangover.
luvthelighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:03 PM   #3  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I love the Hollywood Bowl! I hate the parking there! (but where in LA is it not crappy and expensive?)

I don't have much advice except don't make it a habit, but you already knew that. I have the same problem, once wine and/or beer enter the picture "WTH" follows shortly. I'm a big social eater/drinker, so once in a while I allow myself in certain situation to have a WTH night, and just get back to the usual the next day. Might slow you down for a little bit, but one night of wine and other delicacies won't break you or your progress.

Hey, at least you burned some calories hiking from your car to your seats.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #4  

No luv, you're not being mean at all, and I do need to be reminded that twice in a row can lead to a lingering and disastrous case of WTH, that's my MO!!

Well isn't that the MO of all yoyo dieters? I get so disappointed when I fall off the wagon that it throws me into a 6 week tailspin where just the prospect of "starting over" is overwhelming. Any kick in the pants is much appreciated & what I'm at 3FC for, as I'm an XLNT short term dieter but that's a useless occupation - I need motivation for hanging in long term/lifestyle wise!

Hey shananigans, the crappy parking might have saved my butt (from getting bigger) as we took the subway to Hollywood/Highland and hiked up! Half hour each way.

btw Shenanigans, my BIL married a gal from Mad City and moved up there - we went up for the wedding and we all LOVED IT! What a beautiful town!
Old 08-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #5  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Hey the difference is not turning one bad nite into a bad week or a bad month. Just get back on the horse!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Isn't that always the trick. The funny thing to me is that this is probably one of the only areas of our lives where we expect ourselves to be perfect. Can you imagine if we all dropped out of school the first time we failed a test, or stopped driving after we got our first ticket or had our first accident?

I try to buy my wine in those little 1 serving bottles or half bottles so I don't get into trouble with them. It limits my options but it is harder to get carried away.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:31 PM   #7  

Wow you're right Petra!! We are so hard on ourselves diet wise, more so than in other ways, def. To be honest the first few times I came to 3FC I was kind of bummed out by all the "I hate myself" "I'm such a pig" type posts, although dieting and living in our society as an overweight woman sure can make a person feel negative, I can relate. But delving a bit deeper I can see so much positive energy as well.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/215/175

Height: 5'6"

Just remember: it's not what you do every once in a while that defines you or your success, it's what you do MOST of the time! We're all entitled to slip-ups now and then, and this doesn't even sound like THAT bad of a slip-up! It probably won't even affect your weight loss. I wouldn't even say you got off track...you just had a particularly generous meal, which you don't plan to do all the time.
twnkltoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #9  

Hey thanks everybody, I had a really good and in control day yesterday with the diet and exercise. I can't even tell you how nice it is to be able to talk to people who understand these things!

I like the idea of that airplane wine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petra65 View Post
Isn't that always the trick. The funny thing to me is that this is probably one of the only areas of our lives where we expect ourselves to be perfect. Can you imagine if we all dropped out of school the first time we failed a test, or stopped driving after we got our first ticket or had our first accident?

I try to buy my wine in those little 1 serving bottles or half bottles so I don't get into trouble with them. It limits my options but it is harder to get carried away.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

I'm on day 7 of wave 1 so I get to go shopping for airplane wine soon, LOL. They sell airplane champagne too you know.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote