Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-06-2007, 02:50 PM   #1  
I can do it !!!!

Height: 5'6"

Default So I sorta crashed on my bike with kids in tow

I think I'm still out of breath. Didn't get to the gym today due to watching my neighbors kids this AM.
So after they leave and after lunch I decide to hook up the trailer for the bike and pull the kids (3&5), almost 75+ pounds together.
I've never pulled them before. Our subdivision apparently has these rolling hills that are a little noticable when walking, but way more noticable when peddling.
I totally huffed and puffed, but kept going. Trying to coast when at all possible. Finally I start to feel more uncomfortable 'cause my bike seat is starting to bend ...the back part of the seat was going straight down and the front part of the seat was coming straight up, like a friggin rocket going north between my legs!!! No, it was NOT comfortable....so I realize I need to stop and make some sort of an adjustment. I totally was the most ungraceful person ever trying get off the bike, I wobbled, tried to catch myself, but crashed and burned. Sort of in slow motion. The kids were fine 'cause a) they were strapped in and b) they were already on the ground, no place to fall.
SOOOO, I scratched my left wrist, like you know when people 'slash' their wrists in the movies, I wasn't gushing or bleeding horribly but enough for me to say "Oh ****" in front of the kids.
I couldn't adjust the seat, so had to peddle on home trying to stand so the seat doesn't come up thru my body and exit my eyeball.
When we finally get home, I pulled up next to our mailbox, and held on to that as I got off, then I had to push the bike and trailer up the drive way.
My heart beat is just more than it thump-thump --- it was a BOOM BOOM BOOM. I am trying to collect the kids, unstrap them, and I seriously reminded my 5 yr old how to call 911 if sometime I fall down and he can't wake me up!!!! We also have a security alarm and in addition to the police you can also contact the fire and ambulance just with one push of a button. I showed him the green plus for ambulance and said if I ever fell down and something happend where he couldnt wake me up, that he needs to push that button and then run to the neighbors and bang on their door as hard as he could.
I drank some water, put the 3 yr old down to nap, took a shower, got out a game for the 5 year old and then came in the office to share my bike crash story with my fellow fat chicks.
Maybe one day that ride will be a breeze for me. But I must have looked like an elephant. The worst part is we live near lots of new construction so I'm sure the construction guys had a nice laugh at the fat chick who crashed. If I were a size 2 I'm sure they'd be all over trying to help huh???
Soooooooooooooooooo, time for more ice water and perhaps a band aid for my wrist.
P.S. - guess Dear Hubby is getting a new bikeseat for fathers day! LOL
2Bthinagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I am so sorry that happened to you.

Don't let it keep you from working on your fitness. Make sure to use safe equipment in the future and good for you for informing your 5 year old on safety procedures!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

Ooowww! That must have hurt. I'm glad no one was seriously injured. Hopefully you'll get right back on.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/145

Height: 5'7"

Ugh, nothing like a bruised ego to go with a bruised body. Good job making it all the way home. I might have considered making the kids get out and push! lol!
Romeos Girly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I had a similarly embarrassing/painful moment last year while walking the dogs. The sidewalk came up and bit me! Truthfully, there was nothing there to have tripped me up, so I must have tripped over my own feet. I stubbed my toe so bad it was bleeding and I had to call my DH to come and rescue me. There was no way I'd make it the remaining 2 miles back home. Meanwhile, the dogs stood over me, drooling, and looking at me like "whatcha doin' down there, Mom?" and showing absolutely no concern or compassion. That just made me cry more!

Anyway, sorry to hear about the mishap, and yes, it will get easier as time goes on. But next time, I'd go with just ONE kid in the trailer!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #6  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

I have found that unless it's a bike at the gym, I don't like them. The seats aren't wide enough for my big butt. Last time I was riding my bike my seat did the same thing yours did and by the time I got home I was riding like a ghangsta! lol

I'm sorry you got hurt babe....get one of those nice gel seats...those are REALLY nice. They also have ones with extra springs. *boingie, boingie, boingie!*

I'm glad you taughts your kids well, that's great! It's always good for kids to know what they have to do so they don't get scared.
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #7  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I hope you're using a really good kid trailer, too - one of those few things where its REALLY worth splurging to get the best one, because it makes such a huge difference, both in terms of safety and how painful it is for you to pull! Sorry to hear about your fall Glad to hear you and the kidlets are ok!
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #8  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Sorry about the crash-but I just had to laugh because I crashed my bike in front of a HOSPITAL with doctors outside smoking!!! Do you think they came over to see if I was alright? Heck no-I was bleeding like a stuck pig! My seat was exactly like yours-I threw the dang bike in the dumpster!!!
Oh yeah Allison-I fell off of the sidewalk just coming from the mailbox! Man- I am walking disaster.
Janny O is offline   Reply With Quote