Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-04-2007, 07:51 PM   #1  
mathlab

S/C/G: 224/163/145

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy Pattern: out of control eating after compliments

Yesterday a number of friends (who hadn't seen me in a long while) commented on how fantastic I looked. It was nice getting such positive reinforcement and knowing that my healthier eating and exercise choices have really been paying off.

However, later that day, I just wanted to eat everything in sight (I would have, too, except that I felt physically very uncomfortable after eating only HALF of everything in sight).

I'm at a loss to figure out what triggered this. Today I'm fine, back on my program, and not harboring self-condemnation.

Has this happened to others? Care to share your insights?
bethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Just a guess - but there was a thread a couple of weeks back discussing whether we are often afraid to lose weight, for whatever reason. One reason that did come up again and again was that being overweight was a good buffer against unwanted attention. It kind of gives you an excuse to hide in the background. Maybe you (subconsciously?) feel this way, and the compliments made you feel uncomfortable, because however flattering they were, they were still attention, and you perhaps haven't learned to accept that yet.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #3  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

For me, I forget how hard it was to lose the weight. I think, "Wow, that was easy, and look at the compliments I am getting." When I start thinking it is easy, I get off program. "Oh, this won't hurt." "Oh, this won't matter." I start acting like if it was so easy to get to where I am, I must not have deprived myself of anything in content or quantity.

Then, I do what you did today, which is get a grip and get back on track. Great that you recognized it, caught it and moved on.
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

It definitely happens to me too. It also happens after I have to give a presentation, host an event, etc. (ie: be in the spotlight) I think it's like Janie said, I have difficulty with being in any spotlight or having attention brought to me. I is something I really need to work on. I guess for me it's a self-esteem problem.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Sometimes it's as though there is a poor, misguided part inside that says, "Oh, OK, I've done it, and now I can eat without restraint again!"

It's how people lose weight and gain it back, over and over.

It helps to realize that if you are person who is or has been overweight or obese, you won't be able to go back to eating without thinking, without caring, without exercising judgment. That's not a bad thing--it's just different. It's just observing how things are.

So good for you, bethel, for seeing it happen and moving beyond it! Just enjoy those compliments and then let them roll off.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote