Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Feeling full?

I wasn't sure where to stick this.

I just have a question! When I calculate how many calories I 'should' be taking in, I get some crazy number.. like 2200. Honestly, I have been eating very well and reading labels, because I am trying to stick with 'fresh' foods. I honestly don't think that I could eat that many calories!

Today, for example.. I had a Nutrigrain Blueberry waffle (plain) and a non-fat key lime yogurt for breakfast around 10, so that was 170 calories.

For lunch, I had a yummy wrap with turkey and cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and some italian dressing on a flat out wrap... so that was about 325 calories.

I just had fresh fruit, cut up apples/peaches/grapes for a snack (about 100 calories total) and I am pretty stuffed!

For dinner, I am having some leftovers: a small chicken cutlet (that was breaded and baked), some mashed potatoes (that I made with fat free chicken broth and roasted garlic), some gravy (only 30 calories), and steamed baby carrots (should be about 340 calories total).

I know that I will definitely be stuffed after dinner, and I am trying not to eat past 7pm. I could have a snack later (which would probably be some organic cheese crackers at 130 calories, a 100 calorie bag of popcorn, or some back to nature cookies at 170 calories), but if you're not hungry, do you snack anyway? It just seems counter-productive when I am trying to teach my body that food is not an 'activity'. So, anyway... what do you do when you're full? I think that I probably eat 1000-1300 calories, which technically may be low (is it?).. but I am not depriving myself. I am eating when I am hungry, and I am trying to learn how to modify all of my favorite foods so that they are healthier. Eating frozen meals, etc.. just never worked for me, but this is working well and I feel good- so I want to stick with it! I have not been exercising (eek!) lately because my migraines have been awful lately- but I have an appointment next week, so I am hoping that some new medication will help and I will feel more energized.

I don't want to eat too few calories and stall my metabolism, but I also feel like my body is realizing the difference between genuine hunger and the desire to eat 'just because', so I don't want to ruin that, either. My snacking obsession is finally gone and it feels good to not have my life revolve around food.
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:19 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I would not eat if I were not hungry. Unless of course you were talking about eating an EXTREMELY low number of calories. Under 1000. But you're not. It sounds like you have formulated a nice plan for yourself that you are able to live with and that's what it's all about.

I'm not sure where you got the number 2200 calories for what you should be eating, but most people would gain on that number, given you are not exercising. According to a very common method for figuring out the calorie count for what one "should" be able to lose on, you times your weight by 7, that comes to about 1400 calories. Of course it's all trial and error. There aren't any calculators in the world that can tell you for sure.

You've already lost 24 lbs!!!! You're obviously on to something. Keep up the good work. I hope the doctor is able to find a medication that can give you some relief for those migraines.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #3  
Mel

I agree with Robin- but I'd add some green vegetables in there too. Other than that, if you are full and are eating frequently, don't stuff yourself for the purpose of getting more calories in. You are eating enough. I really would add some vegetables, though!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I would not eat if I were not hungry. Unless of course you were talking about eating an EXTREMELY low number of calories. Under 1000. But you're not. It sounds like you have formulated a nice plan for yourself that you are able to live with and that's what it's all about.

I'm not sure where you got the number 2200 calories for what you should be eating, but most people would gain on that number, given you are not exercising. According to a very common method for figuring out the calorie count for what one "should" be able to lose on, you times your weight by 7, that comes to about 1400 calories. Of course it's all trial and error. There aren't any calculators in the world that can tell you for sure.

You've already lost 24 lbs!!!! You're obviously on to something. Keep up the good work. I hope the doctor is able to find a medication that can give you some relief for those migraines.
I think that I remember seeing something that said to take your weight and multiply it by 10 and then add your weight to that, so 203 x 10 = 2030 + 203 = 2233. It seemed crazy to me, though. I could easily eat that if I were eating my 'old' foods... but even the huge fruit salad I had earlier was only 100 calories! I feel like I am eating all day long, but they are healthy foods.. so they don't add up as quickly. I almost want to brag that I can 'eat all day', haha.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:59 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
I agree with Robin- but I'd add some green vegetables in there too. Other than that, if you are full and are eating frequently, don't stuff yourself for the purpose of getting more calories in. You are eating enough. I really would add some vegetables, though!

Mel
Well, I had lettuce and tomatoes on my wrap and will have carrots and potatoes with dinner. I have braces, so I can't eat a lot of raw vegetables like carrots or celery, because they are too hard. So, I try to have 1-2 steamed vegetables with dinner every night and make sure that I add some softer vegetables to my wraps and salads- of course.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:43 AM   #6  

I'm not clear whether you're making or buying the wrap and what kind of lettuce specifically you're having. If you're making the wrap yourself, you could consider substituting spinach (or, really, anything other than iceberg) for the standard iceburg lettuce, which is relatively worthless nutritionally.

Of course, if you've already got this one covered, never mind.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #7  

I make them myself

I use green and red leaf lettuces and I usually add some spinach leaves also (it's a fresh mix from Whole Foods).
Old 05-28-2007, 06:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I agree with Robin. I myself don't eat unless I am hungry. I used to eat 3 square meals a day and found I got hungry easily. Then I change to eat smaller meals 4-5 times during the day. Some days I eat more and other days I eat less (an average of 1400 calories per day). Nowadays I don't get hungry as often and I am not worried about it at all.
The example you gave showed you were eating good & healthy food, good for you. I think you would benefit more if you put more veggies/greens in your diet. It has helped me a lot. Also, don't forget to drink lots of water.
NWGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:14 PM   #9  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I would recommend adding in some nuts, or a half an avocado - something rich in really good fats that would up your caloric intake over the 1200 or 1300 mark, so that you have somewhere to retreat if you find you are plateauing. That's really the concern, that at some point you will stop losing on that amount and going any lower really would be unhealthy. You could also try occasionally throwing some roast beef in instead of turkey, or an extra piece of cheese - little things. Good luck!
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:35 PM   #10  
back on track, again!

S/C/G: 307/see the ticker/healthy

Height: 5'8"

Default Ahh

I'm so glad you started this thread. I just started working with a nurse/nutritionist about my weight and eating, and she wants me eating 2000 cal. a day. That is so hard for me. I have been doing somewhere between 1200-1400 a day or around there, and now doing 2000, I'm just full... especially on days when I don't get as much exercise in. But even when I'm running, I just am not that hungry. 3 meals and 2 snacks yesterday, and still only 1700 cal. And I kinda had to force myself to eat dinner, cuz I wasn't really hungry. Hopefully, when I see her again next week, I'll be able to get her to change it some, or I'll get used to it, one or the other.
NavyWifeDee is offline   Reply With Quote