Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #1  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

Default CORE Questions

I was leafing through the WW website this morning and have some CORE questions.

Am I to understand that FF yogurt sweetened with splenda/aspartame is not core? If it's not and the yogurt would be 2 points with flex, do I have to count it as 2 points with CORE?

And, if it's not CORE, why would SF-FF pudding with skim milk be CORE but not splenda-sweetened yogurt???

Also, is the brown sugar Splenda blend considered core (when using in oatmeal, baking, etc...)
Old 03-13-2006, 10:11 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

That's the same question I have about the yogurt vs. pudding, but no, it's not Core and you'd have to spend your WPAs on it.

The brown sugar Splenda blend is also not Core and I think it's because it has regular sugar mixed in.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:34 PM   #3  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I understand it was to avoid people binging on yogurt (altho honestly I can't even imagine that?).

Personally I eat sf/ff yogurt and count it as core - I agree it seems no different that sf/ff pudding made w/artificial sweeteners - I guess it's a matter of control and/or personal choice?

Frouf
Old 03-13-2006, 02:00 PM   #4  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

thanks frouf...I was thinking of counting a normal 2-pt yogurt with artificial sweeteners as 0 points...depending on how many I eat during the day...I would think it would help me, not hurt me...I have enough issues getting in enough dairy throughout the day

Old 03-13-2006, 05:48 PM   #5  
Southside White Sox Fan

Kathy's right, Emily. But....we all tweak a bit.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:26 PM   #6  

Here's another tweak that I'm making starting tomorrow.

Tomato juice isn't Core but tomato soup is -- so I'm making my own tomato juice out of a can of soup but will add two cans of water to make it more the consistency of juice instead of soup.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:23 AM   #7  

And now I'm comparing labels on my Campbell's Healthy Request tomato juice and the Campbell's red label tomato soup. When it's calculated out, the nutritional info is exactly the same. I'm going to drink the tomato juice and call it Core. I see absolutely no reason not to.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:41 AM   #8  
Southside White Sox Fan

The sugar is the same too? That's the reason I though that tomato juice wasn't core. If it really is the same, then I'll be buying some too. I love tomato juice.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:49 AM   #9  

The sugar is the same. Here's the highlights of each:

Juice --
Calories 40
Fat 0
Sodium 330
Carbs 9
Fiber 1
Sugar 5
Protein 1

Soup (10 oz. can, adding 2 cans of water instead of 1, then dividing by 6 to come up with 5 oz; same size as juice) --
Calories 37.5
Fat 0
Sodium 295.8
Carb 8.3
Fiber .4
Sugar 5
Protein .9
Old 03-14-2006, 08:53 AM   #10  
Southside White Sox Fan

Wow! Thanks for the analysis. I'd be interested in hearing how you think it tastes compared to regular tomato juice.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:57 AM   #11  

Will do. I'm about to fire it up now -- I have a little pitcher. So I'm adding one can of soup and two cans of water, and will shakeshakeshake it really well then drink 1/3 of it.

I'll report back later.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:00 AM   #12  

Actually I guess if I'm going to drink the "homemade" juice made out of diluted soup, it's automatically Core and I can drink as much of it as I want. Now if it'll just taste good...

And it does! It's really good. I just have to remember to shake it before I get more, and I might add a few dashes of Tabasco sauce for some zing, but I think I'm on to something good here! I love tomato juice too and was always a little miffed that it wasn't considered Core.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:05 AM   #13  
Southside White Sox Fan

In the future, why not buy the juice? Maybe it'll taste better and be less work. Just a thought.

Now I'm REALLY going to get on the treadmill.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:15 AM   #14  

I will probably do that. I just wanted to taste the soup/juice for times when I didn't have any.

Not long ago I bought six 6-packs of the Campbell's Healthy Request tomato juice for $1 each. I don't know if they were closing them out or if they just had too much of it (expiration date is still several months away). Shaun drank most of it because I didn't think I could have it. Now I wish I had been a little more stingy. I still have 4-5 cans left.

Now I'm wondering if the low sodium has more sugar in it. I think I'll go check Peapod and look at the labels.
Closed Thread