Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 01:24 AM   #1  

Default Core while on a cruise?

I am thinking of switching to core for my upcoming cruise because I've heard it's easier in that type of situation. Does anyone have any personal experience or hints about core while cruising? I know there will probably be fresh fruit, but besides that I am worried what I will eat for breakfast and lunch...I feel like it will all be carbs or cooked in oil Thanks for your help in advance
Old 05-09-2005, 08:49 AM   #2  

Well, they'll probably have oatmeal or other hot cereals. If you get it plain, you could top it with fresh fruit and/or Splenda (if they have it). Scrambled eggs are good (check how they're cooked), or have canadian bacon. Shredded wheat is Core too, if you have it one serving a day. Lunches could be salads with chicken, boiled egg, or ham and ff dressing. If they have roasted chicken or turkey, you could have that. Just try for the ingredients that are closest to their original form, and you should be OK. They probably won't have brown rice or whole wheat pasta (although maybe they will?) so finding your complex carbs might be a problem.

Just stay away from the midnight chocolate buffet. Good luck and have a great time on your cruise!

Angela
Old 05-09-2005, 01:01 PM   #3  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

It can be done! I was on a cruise last August - and there are always low fat, low calorie options available.

For breakfast we usually had room service deliver it to our cabin and ate out on our balcony - hot oatmeal, fresh fruit, coffee or tea (and muffins/danish for dh!). YOu can have eggs cooked whatever way you like (poached/hb, etc).

Lunch can be salads or check out dining room menu.

Dinner can be trickier due to sauces, and obviously you won't find brown rice or whole wheat pasta - but baked potatoes, salads and veggies with a protein (chicken,fish, beef) can be adapted to core (dressing on the side?).

Dessert is harder - if you can resist more power to you - you can probably get fresh fruit or just try some of the other choices - they always had a sugar free option on the dessert menu as well!

good luck and happy cruising!

Frouf

P.S. What ship/line?
Old 05-09-2005, 09:44 PM   #4  

Thanks so much to both of you for your help!

Froufy: I believe the line is 'Costa' cruises... It's a cruise to the mediterranean
Old 05-09-2005, 10:16 PM   #5  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I've been on 2 Costa cruises! You'll love it - I guess there will be lots of pasta too!

Happy sailing!

Frouf

P.S. Go to www.cruisecritic.com and look for the "boards" - you will find lots of info on cruising on the bulletin boards and check out the roll call for your sailing so you can hook up w/fellow cruisers!
Old 05-09-2005, 10:37 PM   #6  

Lol, but will it be whole wheat pasta? And thanks for the tip, the boards look awesome, I am going to try to find some other dieters on my cruise. Many thanks again ^_^
Old 05-10-2005, 09:09 AM   #7  

I'm going on a cruise too, while on core. I think I can do ok, maybe try the eggs, meats, maybe the dining room can make me a whole wheat pasta if I order it ahead of time. I am thinking that I can work out a lot while on board and use those flex points as much as possible. There is always an abundance of fruit at breakfast and lunch, so that will work (lots of times fish is served at lunch too). Have fun on your cruise and let us know how it goes!
Closed Thread