Old 05-03-2007, 12:00 AM   #1  
Finding myself...

S/C/G: 212/194.5/191

Height: 5'5

Default sushi my sin

OMG on saturday its my second weight in but on sunday I sinned,
12 pieces of sushi with a diet coke, and later a big latte on the movies.

I'm so ashamed but loved it,

its there some names of rolls more healthier that the ones I like,
If you love sushi, can you help me with the ones that are true to
the Core list, but delicious...
casifromPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/200/165

Height: 5' 2.5" (HW: 222)

Default I love sushi, too!

I tend to consider sushi healthy eating: it's low fat, protein w/carbs. There's a wonderful Japanese restaurant just a block & a half from our house. If I overindulge (really stuff myself), I just eat less the next day. Your sin was not in eating the sushi. Eating 12 was overindulging--but if you knew you were going to the movies, you might not have been able to carry leftovers safely. (Don't want that fish to sit around for a few hours, no!) Sushi isn't cheap, so let's assume you were into not wasting your money.

Okay, for the sake of argument, you deliberately ate 12 so as not to waste the food or your money. Then either you eat less or not at all for the rest of the day , or if you might have a problem with low blood sugar, then have a piece of fruit, like an apple, or some watermelon. (Something that doesn't have a lot of calories, but does have a lot of fiber & water; you feel full enough to be satisfied, but it's not bad calories.)

IMHO, your real sin was in having the giant latte at the movies. Although I'm making what could be a false assumption about the fat content (was there whipped cream? did you have them use skim, 2%, whole milk, or what?). If you wanted coffee, get plain or with just a little milk. If you wanted dessert, you should go for plain fruit.

It is hard not to feel celebratory when out for a good time. If you know you're likely to sabotage your weight loss efforts when you go out, then plan ahead to outwit that tendency. While you're getting ready, before you go out, think ahead to where you're going (if you know), or figure out the kind of food you should be trying to get to (if you & your friends are going to figure out a restaurant while you're out). Go online & try to research what restaurants are around there, so you've got some idea what your options will be. If you're by yourself, write yourself a little note, keep it simple. Tell yourself: I can eat healthy if I go to the Greek restaurant and have their wonderful broiled fish and Greek salad, or I can go to the sushi place and order the small mixed plate (or whatever). I want my weigh-in to go well, because I like myself better when it does. I love myself, so I can do this.

If you're going out with friends, then make an announcement at the beginning, that you'd prefer eating at a place with healthier choices. You've got a voice, after all. And most of our friends want to support good choices. (If you don't have friends who want to support you, then maybe you need other friends, and that's a topic for another thread!)

Even if you're not crazy about tea, you should at least consider its health benefits, as contrasted to diet soda. Tea has all been shown to have all kinds of natural ingredients that help support the immune system--look it up (since I can't remember all its benefits, but trust me, they're there)! If you need it sweet, you can always add Equal, Splenda, or the sweetener of your choice. I always like fresh lemon with mine, tho in Asian restaurants, I usually drink it plain.

Finally, as to your actual question: I like the tuna makis. Maguro is good; I prefer fresh salmon to smoked where sushi is concerned. I absolutely adore salmon roe (ikura)--but that's salmon eggs, which is not to everyone's taste. Not all sushi restaurants are created equal--the independent ones are generally better than those in malls, since they tend to have fresher fish and more authenticity and variety in their choices. Good luck!

Last edited by FatToFitVirgo; 05-04-2007 at 12:59 AM.
FatToFitVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:33 AM   #3  
Southside White Sox Fan

Wow! Great advice. All I was going to be able to say is that I couldn't give you any help since I don't eat sushi. I honestly don't know if sushi is Core but I'm thinking not purely Core since much of it has rice. You could count points for the rice or other non-Core ingredients. Technically, if there are 2 or more non-Core ingredients you are supposed to count points for the whole item.

What I can add is this. Excessive eating at one meal does not make a binge IMHO. As long as you get back on program and stay there at the very next meal, I think you would be ok. I'd cut back a bit but I wouldn't fast the next day because I think that might be a situation that would set up another overeating situation. I've never eaten sushi so I don't know if 12 is a lot. What I've seen people eat, they aren't very big. I'm guessing it was more than a serving but now like eating a whole roast or anything.

I say put it behind you and get back on program. Then spend some time working on eating to your satisfaction level and not beyond.
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:11 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 8"

Talking sushi !!

sorry I won't be any help either, but I will keep an eye on it for anyone who can give us help. But I would say that at my favorite sushi place, my favorite sushi rolls are filled with cream cheese... now I can't say that that is entirely "healthy." I also like the Smoked Salmon, which is just salmon on top of some rice. So no cream cheese there.

BTW the resto is also a hibachi place...OMG...it's the best food ever! But omg... the oil, the salt, the butter... I think a meal would probably be close to 2000 calories. Thank goodness I always box up half of it for the next day or let my boyfriend eat it.

So anyways, please someone help us out with the healthy sushi ideas.
Sun_Flower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:52 AM   #5  
Southside White Sox Fan

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../il/il02a.html
Old 05-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #6  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Great article Vickie - thanks!
Froufy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:53 AM   #7  

Just thought you would all be amused to find that I got a craving for sushi after reading & posting about same. Tonight we got take-out from our local Japanese restaurant--I ordered the large sushi plate, which had 12 pieces! It came with miso soup. We also ordered a "Denver" maki, which in this restaurant is the tuna with avocado, and my husband got a California roll with his dinner. I had a total of 6 pieces from my large sushi, and 4 li'l sections of Denver maki. Since we got take-out, it was no problem to put the rest in the refrigerator when we were done--now I have some breakfast ready! And I had some fresh pineapple for dessert!

I don't feel guilty, since it was an early supper, it was 10 hours since breakfast, & the only other small snacks I'd had were coffee w/a little milk, a banana, glass of skim milk & small handful of cashews. I'm not having anything else till breakfast tomorrow, so there's nothing to feel guilty about.

Reading and writing about sushi made me realize I hadn't had any for awhile--at least it's a healthy craving! Now to the stationary bike, so I can work off whatever excess I had!

Oh--a "P.S." to Vickie, the Southside White Sox Fan--Hello! to a fellow Chicagoan. I'm a lifelong Northsider, but please don't hold that against me! I'm baseball-neutral, so even tho I'm on the "Cubs" side of town, it doesn't mean much to me, except to avoid taking the Clark Street bus on game days! I was thoroughly PROUD!!! when the White Sox won the World Series in 2005--I'm a native Chicagoan, so any authentic Chicago icon is sacred to me! Please accept my respect for your team. (Even if Commissioner Quinn scared the bejeebers out of me and everyone else by blowing the air raid sirens the night the Sox won the pennant in 1959! I wasn't the only little kid praying for the Russians not to drop the bomb that night!)

Last edited by FatToFitVirgo; 05-04-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:24 AM   #8  
Southside White Sox Fan

Virgo, NO problem! I'm married to a lifelong Northsider. Of course, I promptly moved us back to the Southside. He had a home in Morton Grove when we first got married. Our love of the White Sox is what got us together. That, and the fact that we worked together. We used to be season ticket holders until we retired and had to make a financial decision. I have Cub fan friends but the only ones I have are the people who are truly baseball fans and don't insist on having those stupid Cub/Sox arguments. I was born in 1956 so I didn't get scared the first time around but I sure was celebrating in 2005. We made it to the best of the World Series games (the come from behind win) and had a really memorable time. It was truly some of the most fun I've ever had in my life.

I have at least 20 other Northside friends!
Old 05-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #9  

Not sure about this....but would sashimi be OK? If it's just the fish pieces w/o the rice, it seems to be that would be Core. Also, the sushi rolls are small so if you need to use a few of your WPAs to cover them, it probably wouldn't be all that many.

Try to go light on the soy sauce to avoid that nasty sodium bloat!
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:43 AM   #10  

A lot of people think "sushi" means raw fish, but that's incorrect. Sashimi means raw fish. Sushi can be made of any of the following with rice: avocado, cucumber, pickled Japanese radish, fried soft-shell crab, cooked eel, or raw tuna, salmon, mackerel, octopus, and/or other fish, sometimes cooked, sometimes raw. As Elanajel pointed out, the sashimi is just the (raw) fish itself, plain, although it is usually served with plain rice on the side.

I'm not familiar enough with the Core program to know how much if any white rice is allowed. (I just posted because I saw "sushi"!) How authentic the restaurant is determines what kind of sushi they sell. The one I go to doesn't sell anything with cream cheese or smoked salmon, since that's not really Japanese. However, the sushi section of our Jewel grocery stores do sell it, as do many sushi "joints" in shopping malls. These places also use smoked salmon instead of raw. They use raw tuna, why they don't use raw salmon, I dunno.

That article on sushi that Vickie linked was very informative. (Good job finding & linking it for us, Southside Vickie!) An excellent point made in the article was to avoid sushi that had more fatty stuff in it, like cream cheese, or fried fish, or lots of Japanese mayonnaise. Or at least, to split the order.

There really isn't that much rice per piece. I love raw maguro tuna; but eating nothing else but that is kind of like eating very rare beef. It's wonderful, but your body (not just your mouth!) craves something else, because meat is not enough, nutritionally. You do need some starch with it; that's what the rice is for. Is it not allowed to eat any rice at all?

What does the core diet say about that?

Last edited by FatToFitVirgo; 05-05-2007 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #11  
Southside White Sox Fan

It has to be brown rice.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #12  

I've never asked at ours, but I understand there may be Japanese restaurants where one can ask for brown rice instead. Obviously, the items in the sushi cooler at Jewel grocery stores are already made up with white rice. But I read someplace that some restaurants are accommodating that way; one has to ask.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #13  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Just for reference: the rice only adds about 30 additional calories to the sushi if it is Nigiri. I stay away from the rolls most of the time because it is too hard to figure up the calories..and I just like the clean taste of Nigiri style Sushi with a little but of Soy Sauce so much. I usually pull half the rice off because I like to taste the meat, but I like the texture of the rice too.

This site may give you a basis of calories if you are trying to figure out which will be the healthiest choices.

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #14  
I can do this!

I was on Core for around 4 months last year and lost 22 lbs.

My weekly 'treat' was to go to our favorite Japanese restaurant.
I would have:
Sashimi plate with Tuna, Yellowtail & Salmon
Cucumber salad
Edamame (steamed soy beans)
Miso soup
ALL of the above is Core and I would use WPAs for a small Sake

If you like the raw fish (I prefer the milder ones), try to venture out of the rolls a little bit. I personally hate the nori (seawead) that they use in rolls and if I do order a roll, I order it with soy paper. Many sushi chefs also make rolls that have a cucumber wrap instead of rice & seawead. They are really good...just watch the addition of tempura items, cream cheese and mayonaise into rolls. These items are definitely NOT Core.

hottieby40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:05 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/145/140

Height: 5'7"

Default too many sushi

Oh no! I just read these posts because I was trying to find out how healthy sushi was, and now I feel so bad because I just got back from dinner and I ate 24 pieces!!!! They were small, and less rice than most, but still after reading how bad you felt for eating 12, now I feel really bad...oh well. They were spicy tuna rolls though, so atleast there was no mayonaise or fried stuff.
I'm a newbie, just joined yesterday, and it looks like I have a lot to learn!

Next time I'll cut back...if I can

Jamie
geoJamie is offline   Reply With Quote