Old 04-16-2007, 07:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Talking Core Chat April 16-22

Good Morning All:

Don't forget to catch up with Kathy, Sandra, Melissa and Frouf (apologies if I missed someone), who posted last night on last week's thread.

Our portion of the N'oreaster is here, with continuing grey skies; cold, gusty wind; and rain/snow in the forecast. If April is any indicator, those May flowers are going to be tough ones!

Write 'til you drop!

Rhonda
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:15 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 10"

Morning everyone. The Nor'easter is hitting MA as well. Woke up at 2:30 to a loud bang - thought the transfromer across the street blew (which it usually does in really windy weather). The lights went out and then back on. I got up and shut off the computer. When I got the new one I paid extra for the battery powerstrip. So, we go back to sleep. 6am, the alarm clock goes off the BOOM, power is now out and not coming back on. So, I'm now faced with the delema of what to do with my hair for work. No power and serious bed head. Then I remember the battery powerstrip. Brilliant idea - I make sure I check to see if the dryer will work and it does. Yeah, get into the shower, dress, get Sarah up ect... So then I go to dry my hair. Won't work on high. I can get it to work on low for about 30 seconds, then it goes out. I have to reset the battery and try again. After about 5 minutes of this (with Sarah "helping" by holding the flashlight in my eyes), I have a some what presentable head.

Head out to work and get detoured about 5 miles due to limbs and power lines down. So, I'm at my desk with hot coffee and lights. DH and my SIL are at our house, no power.

I have an email this morning that the WW at work session will be starting again in 2 weeks - a 17 week session. I know I need to join. But I still feel like a major failure. I think I may email Karen our leader and "confess". I know she will be very welcoming and supportive, Its my head I need to get over.

Frouf, can't believe another accident! And I'm laughing when I picture you singing along during the rehersal. Too funny - yes, beware of mirrors!

Kathy, is your problems yahoo based? Seems odd that you are having those problems. Is anyone else? When I was on dial up with AOL, it was slow but I could connect. Good luck. I do miss your postings?

Melissa, how are the meetings going? I keep thinking about what you said, and I do agree I need to go. Its convenient doing it at work, but I may see if there is a WW meeting around my house on Tuesdays. Not sure.

Well, got a meeting at 10. BBL.
blessedwithsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:38 AM   #3  

Oh, a funny story to share. DH went out to Dunkin's to get coffee this morning since the power was out. While he was gone I went to get Sarah up from bed and at least let her know the power was out and explain the beeping from the computer room. Well, when I told here that daddy went to get coffee since the power was out, she asked -- Is that what they used to do in the olden days before powere? Go to dunkins?

I had to laugh! Hope you did too.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:45 AM   #4  
Melissa

Paula, how cute! Kids are such great entertainment. About the meetings...I was so resistant to them but now I'm so glad that I started going. Even if I just w/i I feel more focused for the week.

Vickie, I wanted to ask you a tax question if you don't mind. I am currently listed as "married with 1 exemption" but they are not holding out enough tax. It should be 0 exemptions, right? Thanks, I'm such a doof when it comes to this stuff. I have no idea. I hope today is a great day for you!!

Frouf, your story made me laugh. It sounds like something I would do! At least they were impressed with your performance.

Well I better get to work. I just wanted to check in and say hi. I go to W/I today but do not hold out high hopes. But if I lose another pound I'll meet my Falls challenge! Somehow I don't think that will happen though. Well, as long as I don't gain!

Have a great day everyone!
septembersgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:48 AM   #5  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Very cute - yes Sarah - we all used to run out to the local coffeeshop in the 'olden' days! ha ha ha

We are in a major mess here with the weather - I am now glad we were lazy and did not yet have our winter tires switched - lots of people slipping around today and power outages all over the place too!

Woke up to white snow everywhere, now kinda wet snow/freezing rain - school buses cancelled, buses in the ditch and accidents everywhere - and of course to be funny the local radio station was playing snippets of winter/xmas songs!

My drive wasn't too bad - but those on the bus say it took them 1.5 hours for a typical 20 minute ride - how crazy is that? Anyhow more rain/snow til tomorrow morning - then supposed to be a bit better wed and thurs (keeping fingers and toes crossed as I have packed 'lightly' for NF and don't want to drag a winter coat with me!)

Paula - good job with the hair - don't know what I would have done? Have yet to appear at work with all the froufie curls in place!

Rhonda - I bet Toronto is also a mess driving-wise? Stay in if you can!

Melissa - speaking of taxes - guess I have left mine for the last minute this year (ours are due april 30) - hopefully next weekend I will get a chance to sit down and do the nasty deed - not sure if I am getting any $$ back - but I'm sure dh has to pay so in the end it all evens out!

Lunch out today - then cake in the afternoon (which I should probably not eat as my scale is up yet again ). Have to get to garage after work for yet another estimate (I am like a 'regular' there now - ha ha ha)....then need to get more tights for dd - home to eat and drive her to dance class - I go to the mall to pick up costumes - get her new dance pants shortened - then maybe take a small break before I have to go pick her up again.

Hope someone is enjoying some warm sunshine today? (that I can enjoy vicariously? please? pretty please?)

Froufie

P.S. ...and now you know why I dare not listen to music in my office - many co-workers have radios or listen to cd's w/headphones in their cubicles - I of course would be singing along!
Froufy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #6  

No sun here--yet another cold, rainy, windy day and we apparently lost power as well. I started my "I am motivated, I am back on Core" day with a good breakfast--egg white/one yolk omlette with baby bella mushrooms and scallions, sliced organic tomatoes w/dill on the side. Oh, how virtuous am I feeling right now! If only all the leftover's from DD's b-day cake were gone (it's a good cake from the Points point of view, but no way is it core!). I wrapped it in foil and will give away the leftovers to some friends.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:55 AM   #7  

OK, emailed my leader the following:

"Bless me Karen for I have sinned, its been many many weeks since my last weigh in.

OK, in all honesty I feel like a complete failure. And that's why I stopped coming to the meetings. I've been really struggling to get my head back into losing and not gaining. Which I have been. I know I need to join up again but I'm just not sure if mentally I can -- does that make any sense? Some how I need to get the motivation back to where I was 2 years ago when I was losing -- if I had a bad week it didn't send me into the tail spin that it does now.

Just wanted to let you know where I'm at and why I've sort of vanished from your group. Take care. "

Lets hope for a motivational reply -- I really need that! She is a wonderful leader, I'm sure she has been wondering what happened to me.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:20 PM   #8  
Donna

Good Afternoon All,

Well it's sunny here, but I wouldn't say warm. Well warmer than last week, but really windy. I thought I was going to blow off the freeway on the way to meet my folks to walk this morning. Had a pretty good weekend. Didn't do much, the house is still pretty clean from Easter , although laundry's going to take over the bedroom soon. We made our B&B reservations for Oct, so it looks like we're really going, and then went to see an exhibit at the museum I wanted to see that ends the end of the month. The historical village where I work has a steam train, and factory whistle that we can hear from home and Saturday they opened for the season, so I'm sitting at the table and I keep hearing this whistle and wondering what the heck is that??? Duh!!! I guess I can forget anything in 3 months.

Well tomorrow I go back to work and WW . I peeked at the scale and I'm about the same as I was when I stopped going, 6 weeks ago. I really don't want to go, but if I don't I know I'll start to seriously slide. I need that accountability.

Vicki - Wine and Chips are my biggy. Neither dh or I are sweets eaters so usually cakes and cookies end up getting moldy and thrown away, but a bag of chips never goes to waste!

Kathy - great to hear from you. Hope you can work out your computer problems.

Paula - hope your leader can help you get inspired again. Too funny about the power outage, I'd have just gone to work with wet hair, wait I do that anyway

Frouf - it never rains it pours. Glad you weren't hurt! I wore headphones at one of my old jobs and it took me a long time to stop singing to the radio/tapes (it was a while ago), but enough people looked at me funny I learned.

Sandra - sure you don't want to come plant flowers in my yard, it's much smaller. I enjoy the veggies from my garden, so I'll do that, but flowers not so much. Glad you had fun with the grands. I got "A River Runs Through It" out of the library and watched it this weekend, thought of you when the said it was supposed to be in Missoula (sp???)

Rhonda - You're making me look forward even less to when we do our kitchen.
Hang in there it'll be worth it when it's done.

Well, I've gotta go grab lunch and run a couple of errands. Have a great day everyone.

-Tech/Donna
TechAlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #9  
focused and aiming

frouf, you are truly a lucy clone. what a hoot!!!!

rhonda and paula, move out west. errr northwest. so far so good this spring. we are expecting rain tonight, though.

paula, that's a good idea to contact your ww leader. i know she'll tell you that prob everyone's going through the same thing and for you to come on back. you know there has to be a reason for them restarting the ww meetings at work. i have been through what you've been through. i understand how you feel. if you want to go back to the same meeting, do so. if you think you'd be too uncomfortable, go somewhere else. the main thing is "go."

(i'm talking big. i didn't "go" last week.)

sarah's cute. what a funny story!

melissa, for a great wi. i hope you made your fall challenge.

frouf, you must have a good singing voice. i don't think anyone would want me to be part of a trio.

donna, you spelled missoula perfectly. i love that movie. my favorite, though, is "legends of the fall." it came out about the time i fell in love with curtis. i was in texas watching it and he was in montana living it. (however, it was filmed in canada and not montana.) then of course, brad pitt was in it. if i were young and "fertile" and had another child i'd name it tristin whether it was a boy or a girl. i got my son's name from a movie. "teenagers from outer space." i saw that when i was in the 8th grade. that was the first time i heard the name derik.

for you and wi tomorrow.

for you today, vickie.

rhonda, what are you doing today? are you keeping warm? i got an e from your sil. her ds is having some asthma problems.

elana, it's good to see you here. how are you doing? congratulations on getting back op.

i just sent e's to everyone i could think of who sends me forwards asking for them not to send any more. i just saw a note on my puter that comes on when i first get online. it tells me how many kbps (kilobites per second) i'm getting. (whatever that means) today it was 42. something. yesterday it was 24. something. i'm thinking that forwards with cartoons, pictures, etc... are too much for my old dial up system. i hope no one is offended by my asking for no more forwards. i have been very frustrated lately because of getting bumped offline so much and am hoping this will alleviate the problem.

have a great day, all. i'll be back later. i am going to later. and i am op.
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #10  

OK, update for today.

NSV for me -- I've stuck to my eating plan so far. There is a box of minty choclates that a woman brought in today. I LOVE chocolate mint!!! Went over to sample a few (very small pieces) - decided to check out the nutritional lable. 220 calories for 4!! EEK - not worth it. I walked away.

I talked to a friend here at work - she did keep going to the last session, but had a net gain. We had a good talk and I told her to sign me up for the session that starts 4/26. The more I thought about it, if I sign up here I'll go. I'm here anyway. If I have to fit going to a meeting on my own - it will be too easy to skip. So, I'm in. I guess. It was good that my friend is in the same spot -- we need motivation in a big way. She was about 10 pds from her goal, now more like 15 - this is after already losing about 50.

My leader did email me back - here is her response:

"Thanks Paula for emailing me.  I have missed you, and I have been worried.

I understand how you feel.  A lot of us go through it.  Sometimes we think that because we lost the weight, it will be easy to keep it off because now we know how!  Unfortunately or fortunately, what I have learned and seen is that after we make goal, we have to keep doing the things that got us there.  Measuring, weighing , for some - counting points, exercising and coming to the meetings. 

Meetings help tremendously for life-time members, sometimes more than when we are losing.  If I don't connect with like minded people, I start thinking and believing that one bite doesn't count or that I will get back on track tomorrow.

Another difficulty is that if we put on a little, we compare everything to the first time.

So, my friend, you have a choice to make.  You can keep doing what you are doing or you can pull up your bootstraps and show up.  You and I both know that you can do "it".  You are not a failure.  You would be a failure had you not emailed me for help! 

I hope that you join us again.  No matter where you are in your weight loss journey, you are an inspiration.  I know you have a lot of courage Paula.   You can do this!"

She is a great leader - very up front and in your face. Which I do need. Well, off to another meeting -- with only tea!
Old 04-16-2007, 04:27 PM   #11  

Sandra hope you solved yoru computer problems
Frouf,,no more accidents....holy crap......
Donna if your scale stayed the same after being 6 weeks off program I say Congrats to you!!!
Melissa,,,one more pound,,,I hope if for some unknown reason you dont get that pound off...remember it will come off...just keep going
Rhonda that Nor'wester is hitting people pretty hard,,take care
Hate to tell you Frouf but its pretty sunny and nice here!! It may have hit 60 and Ill take it!!!
Paula that took courage to write your leader like that!!! Im proud of you. Your leader sounds like a keeper to me!!! Your lucky

Not much happening here...preschool starts tomorrow so I will be busy the next 8 weeks..Im glad I got into exercising early. It makes it easier to chase those little guys around.haha. I will also be working two extra afternoons a week so that keeps me out of the fridge.. ;D
off to heat up some supper here

ps Hi Kathy!!
p.a. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #12  

Folks, I can't write about food. I just heard about Virginia Tech.

Horrific.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:35 AM   #13  

Good Morning:

Coco posted last night, but on last week's thread.

Well, what can one say? The world certainly has its horrors, and the killings at Virginia Tech have joined the list of the totally inhumane things people have done and can do to one another. In 1989, in Montreal at L'Ecole Polytechnique, a man murdered over a dozen young women, whose only "crime" was to be engineering students. He had a "hit list" of women he was going to murder. These murders have become known as "The Montreal Massacre."

Canada has a national day of mourning, the anniversary of those murders, December 6th. Perhaps the U.S. should develop a similar way of marking the killings of the innocents. Because the killings in Montreal were directly manifestations of violence against women, the day has become a tribute to all women victims of violence perpetrated by men.

It's interesting that the murders at Virginia Tech are also connected to violence against women, but I haven't heard the lastest news about how the shootings were or were not connected and if there was only one shooter.

I suppose I can say something about food. We should each take care of ourselves and those around us, and that means taking care of what we consume and why we consume it. I bought the "You on a Diet" book yesterday. I started reading it last night with some spirit of hope. All of these young people, in school, in an exciting time of life, with all the world waiting for and needing their talents and spirits.....we can all hope that those who were wounded will survive and that the emotional healing is strong.

Take care, everybody.

Rhonda
Old 04-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #14  
Melissa

Rhonda, some very eloquent words. I still can't wrap my mind around what happened. It seems like a world away until I see the pictures of college students and think how that was me not too very long ago. So very sad.

On another note...I'm very anxious about the rest of this week--I have to go to a training about 3 hours away with my boss and most of you know how I feel about that. I'm not looking forward to it. Plus that's almost 3 days of eating out constantly, not to mention I'll probably want to stress eat. Oh well, I guess I just need to get hold of myself!

I hope that you all have great days. It is sunny and starting to warm up here. It might actually feel like spring today.

septembersgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:13 AM   #15  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I too am shocked about the killings and was so sad when I heard the terrible terrible news - I think the whole gun thing should be thought about carefully - where do these kids gets guns anyways? And is there no security around there? My heart goes out to the families and friends.

Melissa - be strong - remember on every menu in every restaurant there are choices to be made - no one is perfect - but you can put good things in your body - good luck.

Rhonda - I remember that day vividly - dec 6 - being glued to the news and not believing what I was seeing or hearing. It is not a common occurrence and we need to remember and ensure these types of crimes are stopped!

Paula - sounds like your leader had some good advice for you - I am glad that you contacted her!

Patti - looks like the worst is over and we may actually be getting some sunshine later this week - all yesterday's snow has melted altho it is pretty gray and dingy out there. Hope the niagara falls weather is as good this weekend.

And I went after work to get car repair estimate - a whopping $1,375 - can you believe it? And the insurance lady says 'well it's your word against hers' - and you may have to split the deductible (mine is $500 which means I may end up paying that or $250) and this makes me SICK - cus it WAS NOT MY FAULT - SHE ABSOLUTELY/POSITIVELY HIT ME. I hate is so much when people are dishonest and lie like that - I so want to go over and shake this woman - but I know revenge is not the answer (or is it?) - and that she will 'get' hers one day - bad things happen to bad people right?

Froufie
Froufy is offline   Reply With Quote